Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 10, 2003, 8:17 PM   #1

Default From 10D to D100?

I've been posting on the Canon board and was this close to deciding on the 10D. I just went to the photo store and I LOVED the way the D100 felt in my hand, MUCH better than the 10D. Now I'm not sure what to do.

Pro's for the D100: feel, lighter, auto-focus assist separate from the flash, less red-eye.

Pro's for the 10D: less noise?, Phil Askey says its 'the best', I like the menu dial and button system alot.

I don't want to HAVE TO post-process every picture, does either camera have an obviously better straight out of the camera image? I'm an experienced photograper, but definately an amateur, will I be able to see a quality difference in either camera?

Should I wait to see if newer versions of either camera will be coming out at the beginning of 2004?

Jeff
Jeff Mirkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2003, 9:01 AM   #2

Hi Jeff,
I was in the same boat as you. I was tossed up between the 10D & D100. I finally settled on the D100. I love the camera.
Anyway, to make a long story short, a co-worker has a 10d and gets absolutley gorgeous pictures out of it (with some post processing). Mind you, he's a much better photographer than I am too. I was showing him some pics I took and he really liked them alot. He said, and I quote "the D100 has better out of the camera pictures than the 10D does." Thats just one persons opinion though, take it for what it's worth. Anyway, I love my D100 and have a blast each and every time I use it. The only post processeing I do is resize, re-crop (soemtimes) and red eye reduction when neseccary.

Hope I helped you out a little & good luck in whichever camera you choose.

Chris
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2003, 9:59 AM   #3

I work with a D100 and my friend with a 10D. Little things I notice is the difference in playback speed (display time for images) which is much faster on the D100. The 10D does have the low ISO advantage with less noise up until 800, then the D100 takes the lead. The 10D has a built in PC connector right on the body, unlike the D100 which requires a hot shoe adapter. Each camera has their pros and cons, but as for image quality out of camera I believe both are very competent, requiring only resizing when you get the exposure right. I like the D100 because the Nikon interface is more familiar to me than Canon's. And since I already had some Nikon and sigma lenses (all F mount lenses) the only cameras I considered were the D100 and S2.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2003, 1:17 PM   #4

Thanks Chrisr and Marokero your input is very helpful.

The Nikon feels way better in my hands and the spot metering is important to me. I like the 'wheel and button' menu system better on the Canon but that is not a primary reason not to get the Nikon. The Canon supposedly has less noise at lower ISO's, but is that something that we're really going to notice? People complain all of the time about the noise in the Minolta 7 series cameras. I can see it if I really look hard, but everyone raves about my pictures. The Canon 10d and Nikon D100 are 2 of the best cameras out there. Is an amateur like me really going to see a qualitative difference between images?

It wouldn't surprise me, however, if Nikon came out with an updated version early next year. Might it be so much better that I will be sorry if I don't wait?

Jeff
Old Dec 11, 2003, 2:27 PM   #5

Hi Jeff,
Marokero brings up some excellent points in his post. He gave me some good advise when I was looking at the D100.
Jeff, as far as noise goes, 99.9% of the people who see my pics wouldn't know "noise" if you pointed it out to them. (I don't mean to sound like a smart a$$, and I'm excluding those on this board). They see the pic and like it or don't like it.
Your statement "Is an amateur like me going to see a qualitative difference between images?". Maybe, maybe not. Probably after awhile you will. We're all different. However, I've noticed a difference in my images from when I first started using the camera up to now. They've gotten better. All because I'm still learning the functions of the D100, and pick up a ton of pointers from the people here. The best part of it all is that your not wasting film. So if you take a pic and don't like it, delete it!!!

All in all, both cameras have their little faults and also, more importantly, their good qualities. IMHO, it's a ten point toss up between the 2. You won't go wrong with either one. As for Nikon releasing a newer digicam........there's rumors of it happening......I'm not holding my breath, only my D100
Old Dec 11, 2003, 2:40 PM   #6

Of course Nikon will come out with a new D100 at some point. If I buy the D100 now will the new one be so much better that I want to drop this one into the trash... I don't think so. If it's a great camera now and does everything I want it to do, that won't ever change. My Minolta 7000i, which is over 25 years old (at least), still takes great pictures, no matter what has come after!!!
Old Dec 11, 2003, 5:07 PM   #7

The replacement for the D100 is rumored to implement some refinements from the D2h, perhaps a new autofocus sensor, not quite the Multicam 2000 from the D2h, but perhaps better than the Multicam 1300 on Nikon's F5/F100/D1x/h. But I wouldn't be surprized if it did come with Multicam 1300. Also a noticeable improvement in write speed (ie. D2h's 5.2MB/s). Perhaps we'll get a larger view inside the viewfinder as well But I won't be replacing the D100 for a long while, it's still making me money so a new camera body can wait
Old Dec 11, 2003, 6:00 PM   #8

I'm thinking that those improvements, however good they may be, are things that I won't really notice :idea: . I just read a very good review by Ken Rockwell, who seems to be not only knowledgable but practical. He says that, given that the output of all these similar cameras is basically the same (excellent), the most important things are ease of use and speed. He thinks that both of these go to the D100 over the 10D. The D100 felt so much better and lighter to me, so I'm going with the D100!
Old Dec 11, 2003, 6:40 PM   #9

Congrats on deciding on the D100!! You'll enjoy it, I'm sure.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 6:47 PM   #10

Congrats! Now that you have made this tough decision, what lens to buy is going to be another tough one