Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:35 PM   #11
Administrator

It's human nature to get "sucked in" by low prices. That's how the scammers take advantage of you, often selling gray market gear, forcing you to you to buy overpriced accessories (low quality batteries at outrageous prices, extended warranties that may not be worth the paper they're written on, cheap memory cards at excessive prices, etc.). They will call you to "verify" the order so they can "hard sell" the extras. If you don't buy the *very* overpriced extras, your order will usually go to backorder status (after your credit card has been charged of course). They're just not going to sell you the camera only at the advertised prices without catches. It's not going to happen. Forget it. These guys are pros at parting you from your hard earned money. You can't win. Don't try. The scammers will often try to get you for high shipping costs, insurance, etc., too (sometimes unapproved by the buyer).

Most of the scammers are located in Brooklyn, where they seem to be able to get away with it. It's a racket, and it's been going on for years. Once a web site gets a bad enough reputation, they'll just start another one (and there are *many* nice looking web sites being run by scammers now). They even have their own ratings sites now (padded with fake customer reviews).

Do yourself a favor and stick with a reputable vendor, and do not be tempted by the lower prices you'll find online. That's what the scammers are counting on (that you just can't resist the posted prices). ;-)

Stick with an Authorized Nikon USA dealer, period (unless you just like giving your money away).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:55 PM   #12

I read a few of the reviews. Nuff said. Thanks for helping to maintain my blood pressure.
emptyquiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 4:00 PM   #13

Well guys thanks for all your help. First of all the whole deal actually comes from walmart's online site. Do you know if nikon will still cover it? Second the lenses i believe should cover shooting indoors and out doors. I want to take photos of people. Weather it be inside or out. If there are beter lenses out there or maybe just one that would do this please let me know.
Dcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 4:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The Nikon 55-200 VR is a nice lens, but it vignettes a lot. Have you tried it out?
I have tried the lens in a few stores but non of the stores have a memory card within the camera. So I could not see the end result. At what point would you say that the lends vingettes
Old Jun 29, 2010, 4:21 PM   #15

One more thing guys have any of you used 42ndst.com i think its called cause they also had a good deal. I looked them up on the website given above to see their reviews and they all were positive but I wanted to see if any of you had experience with them. Second have any of you use squaretrade.com to buy a warranty for your cameras? If you have how were they when it came to claims?
Old Jun 29, 2010, 4:41 PM   #16

See http://www.resellerratings.com/store/42ND_St_Photo
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 4:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcarpio View Post
I have tried the lens in a few stores but non of the stores have a memory card within the camera. So I could not see the end result. At what point would you say that the lends vingettes
... at any focal length at any aperture wider that f/8.0:

See Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR Nikkor (Tested)

Last edited by TCav; Jun 29, 2010 at 4:46 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 5:34 PM   #18

In addition to the site that TCav indicated, you might want to check out the sample photos in Photozone's review, here: http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikko...report?start=2

The photos of the figure on the lawn in particular do a decent job of showing the vignetting effect. For some reason, the slrgear's sample photos don't seem as pronounced to my eye as especially the first one in the photozone set.

It is worth noting that, if you shoot RAW, Capure NX2 does an excellent job of automatically cleaning up the vignetting from this lens. I have this lens, and it is a good lens for the price. Personally, I don't tend to shoot with telephoto lenses, so I'm not a good person to offer opinions one way or the other on how desireable it is. But, FWIW, it satisfies my need to have a longer reach available for general purposes. I wish it were a brighter lens, which means more to me than the vignetting in all honesty. And it doesn't have the kind of contrast that makes me so fond of the 35mm f/1.8 lens. But, while it will never be a lens that I love, it isn't one that I am likely to grow to hate, either. And the VR works as advertized. If you want an inexpensive mid-tele lens that is perfectly serviceable in good light, this one is as good as any I suspect.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 7:31 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcarpio View Post
One more thing guys have any of you used 42ndst.com i think its called cause they also had a good deal.
Notice that they're not in this list? Look for Authorized dealers here:

http://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/...uthDealers.pdf

Did you notice that there is no mention of a Nikon USA Manufacturers warranty in their listing?

http://www.42photo.com/pd-productid-...%28body%29.htm

Again, I'd strongly suggest you buy a camera from an Authorized Nikon USA dealer.

If you buy Gray Market Gear, Nikon USA will not service it, period, even if you are willing to pay them for the service.

Quote:
Nikon Inc. USA cannot provide any technical support or warranty service on Gray Market items. Additionally Nikon Inc. USA cannot perform any fee-based repair work on Gray Market items. Please do not contact Nikon Inc. USA for help with any Gray Market products. Please contact the reseller or importer of your Gray Market items for warranty and service information as well as software updates and downloads.
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/331

Try these dealers for starters. They are authorized Nikon USA Dealers and have good reputations:

http://www.adorama.com

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

http://www.amazon.com is another good bet (provided you are buying directly from amazon.com, not one of the merchants listing gear there).

Or, try Cameta Camera on Ebay. They're an Authorized Nikon USA Dealer and sell gear intended for sale in the U.S. Note that they sell both new and refurbished gear. The refurbished cameras (factory refurbished by Nikon USA) are listed as "Sales Demos" and have a 90 Day Nikon USA Warranty, but they give you a 1 year store warranty on top of it. Adorama (see link above) has a similar warranty on refurbished gear if you buy refurbished gear from them. Look at the listings for details. If you don't want to pay what a new camera costs, consider refurbished instead. But, I would only buy gear intended for sale in the U.S.

http://stores.ebay.com/Cameta-Camera

Most authorized dealers are going to have prices that are very close to each other on new gear. If you see a price that's much lower, there is probably a good reason for it (i.e., it's probably Gray Market gear, not intended for sale in the U.S.). Lots of [unauthorized] dealers import gear from Hong Kong (since they offer English Language Manuals). But, if you go that route, you won't get service from Nikon USA, even if you are willing to pay for it (and Nikon will know by the serial number if the camera you buy was not intended for sale in the U.S.).

If you want gear that you can actually get fixed without shipping it overseas, I'd strongly recommend you do not buy gray market Nikon gear, as Nikon USA will not service it, even if you are willing to pay them for the service (and I would not count on anybody else being able to get the parts or having the expertise to do it, especially considering proprietary software needed for AF sensor alignment, mapping out bad pixels, metering calibration, etc.). Do yourself a favor and stick with an authorized Nikon USA dealer.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 12:27 PM   #20

I would say thats not too bad of a price considering your getting 2 lenses.

IMO the 55-200VR lens is a great pocket sized lens. I had one for a few months before selling it and because of the want of faster glass after using it in a low light situation with less than stellar performance. Anyways to make a long story short. Yeah the 50mm 1.8 would have done the job but I didn't feel like getting closer to the stage. And the poorly lit stage just made poor photos. though a nicely lit stage makes great photos. All I can say after going 1yr without the 55-200VR I miss it and will probably pick another one up because its a great lightweight lens to shoot during the daytime when you need a telephoto. Otherwise I may end up with the 70-300VR since it also an FX lens.

Zensokustudios is offline   Reply With Quote