Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 29, 2010, 3:28 AM   #1

Default D90 Combo

Hey well im looking in to getting a d90 with a 50-200mm vr lens and a 50mm f1.8 for around the price of 1100. Is this a deal i should consider or is there some thing else out there I might have over looked? Im interested to hear what you guys think.
Dcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2010, 3:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcarpio View Post
Hey well im looking in to getting a d90 with a 50-200mm vr lens and a 50mm f1.8 for around the price of 1100. Is this a deal i should consider or is there some thing else out there I might have over looked? Im interested to hear what you guys think.
Is that 1100 dollars we are talking about? In that case it must be a good deal. At least with Swedish measurements. I donīt know what the usual price is i USA. In Sweden you have to pay around 1100 dollars for just the D90 house. Without any lens.

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 3:43 AM   #3

yes it is 1100 dollars. $750 for house, $135 for 50mm and, 50-200mm for $220 dollars. mostly I want to shoot people so if i have done my research correctly this should be fine. But its my first time so i just want to double check
Dcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 6:36 AM   #4

The Nikon 55-200 VR is a nice lens, but it vignettes a lot. Have you tried it out?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 6:44 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcarpio View Post
If it's supposed to be new, then it's probably Gray Market (not intended for sale in the U.S), as the body alone is selling for around $899 now.

Most of the Authorized Nikon Dealers are going to have prices that are very close to each other. What dealer is it? There are lots of scammers around with very nice looking web sites.

Much of the Nikon gear you for sale from less expensive online vendors is gray market (not intended for sale in the U.S.), often with misleading warranty information (1 year USA warranty, etc.), often meaning a store warranty versus a Nikon USA manufacturer's warranty.

Nikon USA will refuse to service a camera that wasn't intended for sale in the U.S., even if you are willing to pay them for the service.

They will know by the camera's serial number. Nikon Canada has a similar policy (they will refuse to service a camera that wasn't intended for sale in Canada and purchased through an Authorized Nikon Canada Dealer, even if you are willing to pay them for the service).

So, it's a good idea to stick with an Authorized Nikon dealer in the region you live in. You can find a link to list of Authorized Nikon USA Dealers on this page.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/WhereToBuy.page

Thom Hogan has an article about Nikon's repair policies here:

http://www.bythom.com/warranty.htm
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 6:49 AM   #6
Administrator

I see some kits like that on Ebay for about that price. This store has some:

http://stores.ebay.com/unioncamera-U...34Q2ec0Q2em322

That's Gray Market gear (not intended for sale in the U.S.) coming from Hong Kong. Nikon USA will refuse to service it, even if you are willing to pay them for the service.

So, if something goes wrong, you're probably going to need to ship it overseas to get it repaired. My advise is to stick with an authorized Nikon USA Dealer.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 7:08 AM   #7

On a technical note, 50-200mm and 50mm doesn't cover normal and wide angle range at all. What are your plans for that?
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 8:54 AM   #8

like bob says 50-200mm and 50mm doesn't cover normal and wide angle range.
i have the 18-105MM and the 55-200mm lens. they over lap pretty good. i have the 55-200MM when i had my D40. a combo i would like to have is the 18-105MM and the 55-300MM lens. but i cant afford it right now
wilson44512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 1:19 PM   #9

So whats the story with Daily Deal Digital Jim......They are offering the D-90 body for 525, the 300s for 950, and the D-700 for 1600. I was considering pulling the trigger on one of these..........are they on the up and up?
emptyquiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 1:29 PM   #10
Administrator

To repeat myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
So, it's a good idea to stick with an Authorized Nikon dealer in the region you live in. You can find a link to list of Authorized Nikon USA Dealers on this page.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/WhereToBuy.page
Look, if a price looks too good to be true, it probably is.

See customer reviews for that vendor here:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Daily_Deal_Digital