Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 11, 2010, 7:18 AM   #1

Default D90 question

I'm in the verge of pulling the plug for a Nikon D90 18-105 kit but ran into reviews from people that bought the D90, several of them encountered errors where the lens had to be re-seated or battery removed to clear the error... Is this still an issue? Do you D90 owners encounter these issues ocassionally/randomly during ownership? Thanks for any info...
rambilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2010, 8:25 AM   #2

both myself and the wife have a d90 and never had a problem i got mine almost when they were released and the wife a few month later
Old Jul 11, 2010, 9:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
both myself and the wife have a d90 and never had a problem i got mine almost when they were released and the wife a few month later
simple,

There maybe a chance that the European model is not affected by these issues. Thanks for the reply.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 11:52 AM   #4

I've never had it happen. I've heard of it happening, and that doing a factory reset cured it. I recommend doing a factory reset on every new camera.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 5:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I've never had it happen. I've heard of it happening, and that doing a factory reset cured it. I recommend doing a factory reset on every new camera.

Factory reset seems easy but one can easily over looked like the many people that experienced it I've read. Maybe they are too pissy about the situation. Thanks for the reply.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 6:06 AM   #6

I have a D90 and have had no issues, nor have others I personally know. Did not do a factory re-set, not because I was "too pissy" but because 1) not aware of, 2) not part of the official "getting started" instructions - which I didn't read anyway, and 3) it's a new camera in my hand - these batteries won't charge fast enough! If the problem actually exists, it is probably isolated - perhaps limited to a single manufacturing run with a single defective part - then gets blown out of proportion with adverse internet user report(s) not offset with positive. To put in perspective, a reset of factory defaults resolves it - Nikon hasn't had to resort to a higher level such as releasing a patch or recall like the initial D5000.

Seriously, I knew from my D40 experience before I opened the D90 box that there were some factory defaults that I wanted to change, so why would I reset the factory defaults only to change them? I cannot figure out why Nikon sets framecount to reset to "1" after download as a default rather than continuous. I discovered it by overwriting a few files - none particurally critical, but still. Plus, I overheard a similar conversation in a camera store as the employee was giving the lady the bad news that those pictures are not recoverable.

Last edited by tizeye; Jul 12, 2010 at 6:09 AM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 8:45 AM   #7

I didn't want to offend anyone... I just want to clarify that these issues with lens and batteries are not an e everyday occurrence of owning a Nikon D90.. I currently have a D40 and would like to get a lens with a zoom capabilities preferrably the Nikon 18-200 VR but the cost is up there and with a couple hundred dollars more I can get me a D90 with 18-105 a little shy in the zoom that I want but i got a better Camera, if what you are saying D90 have no issues and if it does it's isolated with the early models. Thanks for your reply.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:02 AM   #8

The D90 is probably the most reliable Nikon in existence. You may have been reading about the D80 W/ 18-135 lens contact problem - that I never had either.

Garry
GSFinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSFinlay View Post
The D90 is probably the most reliable Nikon in existence. You may have been reading about the D80 W/ 18-135 lens contact problem - that I never had either.

Garry
Gary, thanks for the assurance. I may take the plunge tonite.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:19 PM   #10

Default Took the plunge!!

But I went the other brand. I did more research and decied to pick up Canon EOS 7D with 18-135 kit lens. Thanks for the replies...