Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:59 PM   #1

Default D50 Manual Mode Produces No Image

I am having zero luck getting manual mode to work. I have an AIS Nikkon Micro lens that I just bought and it is completely manual. I set the camera to manual mode and took some shots-completely black images. I checked every setting. I tried manual mode with my kit lens and still all black images. I am at a loss as to why no images are being recorded. Any ideas?
mpakron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:29 PM   #2

what where you taking pictures of?

and what were your settings?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:31 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Take a photo with the kit lens and then in manual mode mimic those settings. Lets say you are 1/40s, f4 and ISO 800 when in any auto mode and you get a nice shot, then put these into the manual mode. It sounds very much like you are just setting it totally under exposed so there is no information for the camera to record.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpakron View Post
I am having zero luck getting manual mode to work. I have an AIS Nikkon Micro lens that I just bought and it is completely manual. I set the camera to manual mode and took some shots-completely black images. I checked every setting. I tried manual mode with my kit lens and still all black images. I am at a loss as to why no images are being recorded. Any ideas?
Manual mode is just that...all manual. You have to set the aperture, ISO, and shutter speed, and as was mentioned you probably have things dialed in that result in severe underexposure. Go outside on a bright sunny day, dial in an iso of 200, shutter speed of 1/250 and an aperture of f16. This should give a decent exposure in bright sunlight.

Also, you never mention, does the camera work in any of the auto or semi auto modes?? If so, it's not the camera.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 1:52 PM   #5

Default Success!

I tried out the suggestions and indeed I had the settings all wrong. It took a while to figure out how to change the ISO but I think I've got it now. I am using a 50mm old Nikon manual lens that I just bought off Ebay, it's heavier than my 70-300mm, and the test shots, though blurry (were handheld), were very rich. Thanks!
mpakron is offline   Reply With Quote