Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:17 PM   #1

Default Military time??

I have a d5000, Right now the time on the camera is set in 24 hour military time, Its not that big of a deal. but I would like to change it to standard 12 hour format, I searched all over and could not find how. Can this be done. If not, no big deal. Just curious.
Thanks!
scarface199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:22 AM   #2

Scarface, I'm not sure about a Nikon, but I have a Sony dslr. If I go into the menu, to time and date set, I can change the time from 24 hr to standard by choosing among the options of month, day, year sequence. Only one sequence will allow the 24hr to be used, the other three are standard. I hope this made sense and helped..

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 1:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
Scarface, I'm not sure about a Nikon, but I have a Sony dslr. If I go into the menu, to time and date set, I can change the time from 24 hr to standard by choosing among the options of month, day, year sequence. Only one sequence will allow the 24hr to be used, the other three are standard. I hope this made sense and helped..
I gave that a try and it did not work, Maybe Nikon is just made to be in military time, which would be weird since not all people are able to read it. Thanks for trying to help however
Old Jul 24, 2010, 12:22 PM   #4

What country are you in, or was it perhaps a gray market camera?

Looked at the downloaded manual for the D5000 (pages 20 and 169) and exactly the same as my D40 and D90. Use setup menu (wrench icon) to set date/time. Looked at the D90 and there was no menu option to switch between 12/24 clock. However, when setting the hour it goes 12, 13, 14 etc, but when looking at the EXIF data on photos taken it shows as AM or PM.

Don't know what the viewfinder says because it is currently AM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:37 AM   #5

I live in the US and got the camera from an authorized dealer. I forgot about the EXIF data to be honest, Looked at one of my pictures and it is how it supposed to be. I was just slightly confused because I had a d40 for about 2 years and don't remember setting the clock so I could not recall if it was in military time when I did. Thanks for clearing this up