Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 29, 2010, 6:19 PM   #1

Default Dawn breaks over Marblehead

As I have mentioned before, I got a D5000 a few weeks ago and am very much in learning mode. I was seriously considering getting a KatzEye split prism for manual focusing when I finally read and understood what the manual was saying on page 156. There is a functionality called "rangefinder" that can be enabled in the custom settings menu. What this does is allow you to use the exposure indicator as a manual focusing aid. It shows whether the focus is behind or in front of the focal point, and makes manual focusing very easy. When you are in proper focus, the focus light indicator still comes on, but the rangefinder allows you to zero in on the focal point in a rapid and orderly way. I just plain missed this functionality before.

In case you are unfamiliar with it, the exposure indicator continues to be an exposure indicator if you are in autofocus mode or if you set the camera to manual mode. But, if you set the lens to manual focus (or if it is a manual focus lens on your system) and you have enabled Rangefinder and you are in P, A, or S mode (I haven't examined any other mode), the exposure indicator acts as a rangefinder.

I may still end up getting KatzEye at some point in the future, but the Rangefinder works just the way I would want such a feature to work. FYI
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2010, 8:12 AM   #2

That's cool!
I'd be interested to hear how you find using this feature.
Take care, yours truly,
Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:38 AM   #3

Using the rangefinder is easy as falling off a log. I would have absolutely no hesitation in getting an AF lens with this system. I should say that I don't take action photos, so I am not particularly concerned about fraction-of-a-second focusing speeds or tracking motion in real time. But I can hit the focus of a stationary object in two or three seconds with the rangefinding system, and I've only been playing with it for a couple of days. For typical scenery or portrait uses, I don't think it would present an obstacle at all.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote