Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:37 PM   #1

Default Focussing...

I have just bought a Nikon D90 (upgrading from Fuji Finepix). Relatively new to photography so have plenty to ask and to learn... For starters - How do I focus on foreground as well as background (ie branch overhanging to frame subject in the distance). If I hold down the shutter button halfway and move the camera during composition it changes focal point.
Thanks,
M
mva2912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2010, 6:55 AM   #2

In order to get both foreground and background elements in focus at the same time, you need to get a large depth of field by selecting a small aperture (a numerically large f-number.) You can check the depth of field by pressing the depth of field preview button on the front of the camera body, below the lens mount.

The Nikon D90 will continue to autofocus as you recompose, unless you press the AE-L/AF-L button on th eback of the camera to the right of the viewfinder. Its use is explained on page 57 of the Nikon D90 User's Manual.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:46 PM   #3

unless you have it on af-s then it will stay on one focus point.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 8:55 AM   #4

I guess there are a couple of ways you can do this.

1) Do the shutter half-way-down thing as you mentioned and then recompose. The trick is that camera has to be in AF-S (Autofocus Single?) mode rather than Autofocus-Auto or Autofocus-C (Continuous?) -- the AF-C mode will keep changing the focus as you move the camera because it is trying to continuously keep what the camera is looking at in focus.

2) Or you can change your focus point from auto to manual and then use the D-dial to choose the focus point you want the camera to use to focus. Then select the focus point that is over the branch. It should then focus on the branch when you take the picture.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:13 AM   #5

Oh yeah,

I guess the other method you could use is to turn off auto focus completely and just use plain old manual focus. <grin>
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 7:56 PM   #6

Default Thanks...

To all the answerers!

Thanks for taking the time. I have been seperated from my beloved (Nikon) for four weeks. Can't wait to get back to try the correct way! Think I'll leave the Auto for the amateurs! ;o)

Nice shooting,
M
mva2912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 8:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post
Oh yeah,

I guess the other method you could use is to turn off auto focus completely and just use plain old manual focus. <grin>
GASP! Perish the thought!

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote