Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 15, 2003, 4:15 PM   #1

Default Choice - D1 or D100

My 950 took a tumble (by my wife), so I am looking for a new digital. The good part of the tumble was the need to go back to my 8080. Gotta say, I forgotten how nice the analogs are to shoot with, so there is no question that I must get a comparable digital. Going from digital to analog, well, I burn up quite a bit of film $$ and processing $$.

So, my choices seem to be a used D1 or a new D100. (I am a confirmed Nikon user It seems to me that the D1 is, shall I say, a better camera...??? And I can get one for about tha same price. I realize that the D100 has more pixels, however, I do great prints from my 950 on the Epson 1270 to 12x18 (using photoshop & Altimira GF). So, I don't really see the extra value that 6mp brings to the table... And I would expect even better on the D1, as it is about a third more than the 950. Anyone that has has both the D1 and the D100, I would appreciate your advice on this choice.

I do event shooting with the camera, rodeos, races, dog shows, fairs, etc,; and the normal family stuff. So, burst shooting is a factor.

FWIW, I briefly looked at the Canon D-Rebel, but have enough Nikon lenses to make it more costly.

Recommendations happily read & weighed.
dcharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2003, 9:45 PM   #2

If you already have the equipment, the general opinion here is to go with the brand you have. There isn't enough of a difference to justify the change to an amature. If you were a pro, that is another matter.

There are a few things you should consider between those cameras. One big one is noise. You should check the reviews to make sure the D1 (being older) has the ISO range you need, and that the noise levels are acceptable. The general rule is that newer cameras have less noise at higher ISOs.

The other you've touched on. The higher MP of the D100 has the advantage that you can recompose and crop and still have a fair amount of data left over. With the D1, you have less data to play with. It sounds like you are a more experienced photographer, so this might not matter as much. But it's something to consider.

You might want to look into which has a better AF system. I thought the D1 did, but I'm not so sure. Clearly the D1h & D1x does, but those are a completely different class of camera.

Oh, you should also go and make sure you get a feel for the cameras before buying. Make sure it fits your hands and feels right. The D1 and D100 are different bodies (I think) and therefor will appeal to different people (I know one person who things the D100 is a great size, and I know another who things it's too small and light.)

Eric

ps. I don't actually have either, so I can't say from first hand experience.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2003, 9:46 PM   #3

Oh, you might want to look at example pictures at
http://www.imaging-resource.com/

They are very good about taking the same pictures with each camera to make compairsons possible.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2003, 10:51 AM   #4

Default More information

I should add a couple of things.
My favorite shooting is landscape. Events are busy work...
I am very rough on equipment
I am quite adept at digital manipulation/software & such
I've been shooting Nikon 35's since the 70's (F model, wish I still had it)

Steve, could you perhaps weigh in on this?
And I certainly would like to hear from those who went from the D1 to the D100 & how they rate & compare the 2 cameras.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 1:59 PM   #5

When I was looking around to buy a DSLR, the D1 was on my list for a while, but by current technology standards, it's really old. Should it ever have a problem, you might spend a fortune getting it repaired. The D100 on the other hand is pretty up to date, and will probably do better than the D1 in almost any comparison. The one place the D1 might have an advantage, is in ruggedness. I crossed the D1 off my list, but if I ever found one for a really good price, I might buy it for a "backup" camera.

For similar dollars, go with the D100. If you'll be really hard on the camera, like you're shooting landscapes in Iraq, maybe the D1 would be better. Mechanically, the D1 probably IS better, but half of the camera is electronics, and they get improved every year.

I think a used D1 costs around $1000 or so, while a new D100 costs around $1400. I can't see any real advantage for going with the D1 over the D100. I can see lots of advantages to going with the D100.
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 5:32 PM   #6
Administrator

Default Re: More information

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcharding
I should add a couple of things.
My favorite shooting is landscape. Events are busy work...
I am very rough on equipment
If you favor landscapes than the higher resolution of the D100 will be what you want. The D100 is newer technology with better color rendition and lower noise levels.

The D1 is the more rugged of the two but don't kid yourself, the D100 will take a beating too but it isn't weatherproofed. The D1 is considerably heavier so if you tote it for long periods of time this may be a consideration.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 1:34 AM   #7

Default Re: More information

Quote:
The D1 is considerably heavier so if you tote it for long periods of time this may be a consideration.
Yeah, I just bought a DR so I am not sure what I am doing here, BUT I use a D1 for the paper I work for. With a nice zoom lens and a shorter lens, the camera becomes way to much to take on a hike unless you have it in a backpack...
shoelessone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:23 PM   #8

People usually get what they pay for. Things that cost more usually have something more than less expensive things. Both a Volkswagen and a Mercedes will get you from one place to another, but there's a difference.

Everything is a compromise. You've got to pick the best compromise for yourself. That includes features, weight, cost, convenience, and lots more. Spending more than you need to may be throwing money away, but spending less than you need to may mean you're getting something that won't do what you need it to.

There's also a big difference between "need" and "want".

In really old terminology, taking a 8 x 10 view camera on a hike is a heck of a lot less convenient than taking a 35mm camera, but if you're after a huge enlargement to hang on your wall, there's a big difference in what each camera can (or can't) do. Of course, if you're just taking snapshots, then the 35mm is plenty adequate.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 10:55 AM   #9

Default Got the D100

The final decision came to the price difference vs the technology. As was pointed out by steve, landscape benifits from the higher pixel count of the D100. The D1's maq body was a consideration for rugged use... But checking out the D100, it was pretty solid.
So, I got the D100. Have not started shooting it yet, just exploring the menus, checking my lenses out and seeing how the SB25 works (better than I had expected). Will be taking it out this weekend for field tests...

Appreciate everyones help here. Sure to asking more q's
Old Jan 9, 2004, 8:44 PM   #10

I'm not sure if this site (http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/CDISPLAY.HTM) is something valid for a good comparison, but if it is, the comparison between the D1 and the D100 certainly shows that the D100 would be better for landscape use.

I went to the page for "resolution" and checked out the two, side by side. The D100 has a larger image, and it appears to hold a lot more detail.

I wonder if Steve or some of the others here would approve of this site as a valid comparison of different cameras...?