Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 29, 2010, 5:10 PM   #11

Default I ordered a Nikon D3100 after 3 days of analysis

The Nikon D3100 looks like the best value for entry level DSLRs. I am awaiting receipt of a D3100 after spending 3 days looking at various DSLR reviews and specs. Canon has several cameras that are very competitive. The Nikon D3100 is an Oprah Winfrey pick. I don't think you can go too far wrong with either Nikon or Canon. The D3100 looks like it is brand new to the market and is actually better than some of the older Nikon models.
clo7956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 5:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by clo7956 View Post
... The Nikon D3100 is an Oprah Winfrey pick. I don't think you can go too far wrong with either Nikon or Canon. ...
Whew!

I thought for sure that you were going to say "I don't think you can go too far wrong with an Oprah Winfrey pick", at which point I would have fallen off my chair laughing!
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 2:19 AM   #13

i'm getting d3100
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 3:22 AM   #14

I just picked one up a couple of days ago. I still haven't taken it out of the box though. It'll probably consume most of my time this weekend. It's my first DSLR. pretty excited.
moundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 6:19 AM   #15

Good luck with it. It's a fine camera.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:05 PM   #16

I bought myself the D5000 with a nikon and a tamron lens back in October, and I absolutely love this camera! The flip down screen is by far the most useful aspect of the d5000 that made me choose that one over canon SLRs or the sony A550 like my friend bought. I've been taking product photos for a client and have found the flip down screen useful because it allows me to angle the camera how I want without having to angle my body and face to see through the viewfinder before taking the picture. (Also having video is very cool!) The camera does not feel flimsy at all to me, but the grip does feel a bit shallow compared to other cameras--it's nothing that hinders usability though.

The only camera I also considered was the Sony A550 like my friend has--it takes very nice indoor photos. We were at a horse exposition in MA where the lighting in the arena was natural, florescent, incandescent, and probably some other stuff as well and her camera took better pictures than the d5000 in my opinion. The reason I didn't get the sony was the fact that it didn't have video, but they do have one out now that does do video, I believe.

Anyway, just some food for thought. Hope it helps!
cinderhawkcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 9:15 AM   #17

cinderhawkecreative,
As a matter of interest, you can tweek the D5000 settings to bring up the out of the camera pics. The D5000 seems to naturally underexpose a little, to allow the user to fine tune their requirments via either the camera settings or something like Photoshop.My old D40 produced better out of the camera shots v the D5K but not after I have brought the D5Ks up via P.Shop.I suspect the top end cameras are the same.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 9:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot View Post
The D5000 seems to naturally underexpose a little, to allow the user to fine tune their requirments via either the camera settings or something like Photoshop.
I suspect that varies with camera and user. My D5000 consistently overexposes by about 0.5 EV the way that I tend to meter, so I have adjusted the offset accordingly.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
I suspect that varies with camera and user. My D5000 consistently overexposes by about 0.5 EV the way that I tend to meter, so I have adjusted the offset accordingly.
Hmmm, Very interesting!!!
I hope it doesn't vary from each D5000 as that means the production values aren't very tight.
I did have a Sigma lens on a Canon once that always overexposed but I cured that by getting the Canon equivalent.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot View Post
Hmmm, Very interesting!!!
I hope it doesn't vary from each D5000 as that means the production values aren't very tight.
I did have a Sigma lens on a Canon once that always overexposed but I cured that by getting the Canon equivalent.
There are several things that play into metering, most important of which is the users preference. Indoors, I tend to dial in +1/3, and outdoors i tend to dial it back. My D300, I tend to leave it at +1/2. Talk to 100 users, you likely get many different setups...production standards are plenty good.

Last edited by rjseeney; Jan 5, 2011 at 7:03 AM.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote