Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 25, 2010, 6:54 PM   #1

Default Buying my first DSLR - Nikon D3100 or D5000

Hello everyone - just joined this Forum Website and seeking some knowledge.

My wife and I have been Point and Shoot picture takers, but are now looking to join the DSLR family. I've been doing a lot of research for the last couple of weeks, but would like to get some input from all of you. Looking to keep the price below $800.

My choices:
Sony Alpha A330L
Sonly Alpha A380L

Canon EOST2i
Canon EOST1i

Nikon D5000
Nikon D3100

We take pictures of:
Landscapes
Family Indoors & Outdoors
Wife is interested in creating great pictures (clear & sharp)
No still pictures of moving action
Some video, and might as well have it in HD (720p or 1080p)

The fact that we will take video pretty much rules out the two Sonys. Was also considering the new Sony NEX3, but it doesn't have the flash permanently mounted, so my wife will not like that. The Canons are supposed to be very nice, but they are pricier than the Nikons. I was REALLY thinking about the D5000, until I saw the description of the new D3100 today. With the higher MP on the 3100, and fact that it is slightly smaller and lighter than the D5000, this may be a good match for ut.

My questions:
1. Is the Sony EOST1i a better camera for my usage than the D5000 or D3100?
2. Is the Sony EOS T2i worth the additional cost over the others?
3. The D5000 is dropping in price (on sale at Best Buy now for $688) while the D3100 will cost $700 at Best Buy. I looked at the comparison between the D5000 and D3100 through a link on Amazon, and the D3100 seems to have almost everything that the D5000 has, including a slightly bigger LCD and more MP. On the downside, the LCD on the D3100 does not angle out or rotate. Don't know how big a deal that is.

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to put all of my information out there.

Thanks,

Mike
Michael - AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2010, 7:17 PM   #2

The D3100 will be full msrp when it comes out until the end of oct the earliest before they go on sale for xmas.

If you want 1080, the canon t2i is the class leader currently, and if you want all the bells an and whistle of HD.

The D3100 is and upgrade of the d3000, higher iso, with nicer HD. The AF is the same for the d3000 and d5000.

But for your need any of the camera mention will work fine. The T1i has 1080 but it is not as good as the t2i, as it is only 20fps vs the industry standard 24fps.

But none of them are fantastic for HD. The liveview is no where as good as the sony's

There are 4 new sony options 2 that at HD orientated, 2 more photography. But they will be about 800 dollars when they come out with just one lens. The canon A560 and A580 and the 2 HD friendly one the A55 and A33. The all have 1080HD

But you could settle for 720HD or low grade 1080 until canon decide to firmware it to 24fps. I would seriously consider the t1i or d5000. And save the money for bette lenses.

Since action photography is not a key feature, the canon AF lead is not important in your case.

Have you also consider the pentax k-x is does very well in the photography end as well, and shoots 720, and a good 2 kit lens is 800 dollars with a 300mm reach on the long lens.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 7:24 PM   #3

PS

You will most likely see a d5100 in the near future also and a d95 too.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 7:45 PM   #4

Thank you for the response SHOTURTLE. How would you rate theT1i vs. the D5000? Even with regard to sturdyness of the body.

I also heard that there was a problem with the D5000 turning on, and was being currently supported by Nikon with a "fix". Is this still an issue with current stock being sold?

Thanks again,

Mike
Old Aug 25, 2010, 7:58 PM   #5

I looked at the d5000 when I was considering a dslr to upgrade from my film slr. The d5000 body felt a bit flimsy to me. The canon is pretty rugged. I have drop mine on concrete and it work fine. And then I sent it to canon for something else that broke, and they replace the minor scratch up case and lcd for free all under warranty. So I have been happy with canon service.

The canon has the better AF. The d5000 has better noise control at 3200 and 6400iso, but the can retains a bit more detail with the noise.

But the fact that the d5000 did not have a inexpensive 50mm prime lens was a big detraction for me. I like shooting big aperture lenses. And the no AF motor in the body made all the reasonable price prime not AF on the d5000. You would need to go to a 35mm 1.8 for 180 dollar, and if you wanted a 50mm 1.8 you would have to go to 470 dollar.

The mid grade lens from canon were less expensive, 330 dollars is about avg. And their low price prime is 90 dollar.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 8:49 PM   #6

well the upper hand that the d3100 has is that it can af while activly shooting video.

and word on the street that the d90 replacement will be a d7000
Old Aug 25, 2010, 9:22 PM   #7

The best of the group you mentioned is the T2i, but it won't leave much in your budget for accessories like SD Cards and extra batteries. If you can't wait for the Nikon D3100, try the Canon T1i and the Nikon D5000 to see which you prefer.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 2:11 AM   #8

Default Thank You

Just a short note to say "Thanks" for the quick responses.

My first thought was that I should go ahead and see what I liked better between the T1i and the D5000.

We will going on vacation the first week of October, and the D3100 should start arriving at the stores about 20 September. They may be hard to get if the demand if high.

I have always been of the mindset that if I have to choose between two different things (T1i & T2i) and one of them was a little more expensive.....but better, I have been the type of person to go with the more expensive one IF it's worth the difference in cost over the life of the item. The T2i is about $150 more than the T1i, and about $200 more than the D5000.

Assuming that I am willing to exceed my budget for a better piece of equipment, do you guys think that the T2i is worth the extra $$$ over the T1i and D5000? I am also assuming that the T2i is much better than the D3100. What do you guys think?

Thanks - Mike
Old Aug 26, 2010, 7:23 AM   #9

if video is very important, then yes. It is better then the t1i for that and the d5000. But if video is just nice to have. You can get away with the T1i, as it is about the same as the t2i in the photography department.

And no I would not wait for the d3100 or any of the new models. As you will need some time to get uses to shooting with a dslr. As there is more to it then a point and shoot. So if you get it in the new week or so, it will give you time to learn the system.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 1:39 PM   #10

Default Thanks again

Thanks for your perspective shoturtle.

Video is NOT going to be a huge part of this decision. It's one of the "nice to have" features. So if the picture side is close between the T2i and the T1i, then I think the T1i is the way to go. I believe that the T1i is also quite a bit lighter than the D5000. Since my wife will also be taking a lot of pictures, I think she will appreciate the fact that the T1i is a little lighter.

I appreciate the help.

Mike