Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 5, 2010, 8:48 PM   #11

Went to the store the other day and picked up an external flash, and was musing over the lenses. Don't know if it was a slip of the tongue but when I was talking about their FX lenses and their D-700, the rep mentioned that he was going to get into full frame and was saving his money for the 700x. I did not know Nikon had a 700x. Could be the D-700 is refered to as the 700x, beats me.
emptyquiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyquiver View Post
Went to the store the other day and picked up an external flash, and was musing over the lenses. Don't know if it was a slip of the tongue but when I was talking about their FX lenses and their D-700, the rep mentioned that he was going to get into full frame and was saving his money for the 700x. I did not know Nikon had a 700x. Could be the D-700 is refered to as the 700x, beats me.
They don't (at least right now). He may be referring to the expected D700 replacement, which has been rumored to be the D700s. Or there could be a smaller version of the D3x ( a high mp full frame in a smaller body) coming which is probably less likely.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:09 AM   #13

http://www.nikon.com/about/news/2010/0915_d7000_02.htm
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:43 AM   #14

The hands on preview of the Nikon D7000 by Digital Photography Review.

http://dpreview.com/previews/nikond7000/

To put an end to the AF-S lens limiation speculation..... this camera HAS and inbuilt focusing motor.
no_nonsense4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:41 AM   #15

Default Motor in the body

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
After switching from my KM5D to my D90, I haven't completely replaced my collection of lenses yet, but the lenses I've got so far are the Nikon 50/1.8 and 85/1.8 and the Tokina 100-300/4.0. I'd be in bad shape if the D90 didn't have its own AF motor. The KM5D failed and I was looking for something to shoot indoor sports, and the 85/1.8 was the right lens. If the D90 didn't have an AF motor, I'd have gone with a Canon.
You say you'd have gone with Canon if the D90 didn't have an AF motor, but I think you'd find that Canon has not had motors in their bodies. They have been in the lens. I've read articles that have indicated that when Nikon started removing the motor from the body, they were admitting that Canon had the better approach.

i'm not an expert....just sharing what I've read in some articles by some real experts.
mdallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 2:28 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdallie View Post
You say you'd have gone with Canon if the D90 didn't have an AF motor, but I think you'd find that Canon has not had motors in their bodies. They have been in the lens. I've read articles that have indicated that when Nikon started removing the motor from the body, they were admitting that Canon had the better approach.

i'm not an expert....just sharing what I've read in some articles by some real experts.
I believe that TCav wasn't saying that he didn't like in lens motors over in body, but rather in the current Nikon lineup of lenses there is a limitation (for his needs) in the lenses that have in body motors. With Canon, as you rightly say, the motor has been in the body for a long time so all AF lenses have their own motors solving the problem. If TCav went to a body without the in body motor he would be needing to change some of his lenses due to compatibility.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 8:24 AM   #17

Right. I was primarily interested on a large aperture medium telephoto lens. I could have gotten an 85/1.8 from either Canon or Nikon, but Nikon's version didn't have it's own motor and Nikon's lower level bodies didn't (don't) have one either, so the only option for AF would have been (still is) Canon.

I've had my Nikon D90 for almost a year and use it almost daily, but none of the three lenses I've got for it has its own motor.
Attached Images

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 8:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
If the D90 replacement is the D7000, will it not have an internal autodfocus motor? (... considering the model number series.) If so, I'm glad I picked up the D90 when I did.
Anyone can confirm this internal auto focus?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:11 PM   #19
Administrator

The D7000 camera body has a built in motor. So, any Nikkor AF lens should Autofocus on it (it's not limited to AF-S lenses like the lower end Nikon bodies).

IOW, the initial speculation that it would not have a built in motor was incorrect.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:42 AM   #20

@JimC

So glad to know (at least I dont have to cancel my order)

On a side note, any suggestion for a good external flash on my coming D7000? (I heard SB-600 breaks easily?)

Thanks!

Last edited by LGWGM; Dec 4, 2010 at 1:18 AM.
LGWGM is offline   Reply With Quote