Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 4, 2010, 6:50 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGWGM View Post
@JimC

So glad to know (at least I dont have to cancel my order)

On a side note, any suggestion for a good external flash on my coming D7000? (I heard SB-600 breaks easily?)

Thanks!
Where did you hear that?? I've had 2 SB600's (and an SB-800) for several years, and never had any trouble. I've never heard that any of the flashes are more problematic than any other. The 600 is a good all around choice, especially when you consider cost. The SB-400 is smaller and easier to carry, but obviously is less powerful and featured. The SB-800 is discontinued, but is more powerful (and larger) has a few more features, but has a terrible control and menu system. The SB-900 is the replacement for the SB800, and is even bigger, more powerful and a much improved menu system. The SB-700 is the newest but hasn't shipped yet. You could go third party, but a good one will cost as much as a Nikon, so there really isn't any benefit.

Again, the SB-600 is the best balance of size, features and performance.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 8:42 AM   #22

Hi rjseeney, it wasn't the SB-600 but the SB-900 which one local friend claimed to break easily (shoe/bracket) from his experience due its heavy built. Anyway, I would rather like to hear you suggestion/opinion

What is the biggest tradeoff when getting a third party flash vs Nikon one?
Old Dec 4, 2010, 9:36 AM   #23

Isn't the SB900 also prone to overheating?
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:49 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGWGM View Post
Hi rjseeney, it wasn't the SB-600 but the SB-900 which one local friend claimed to break easily (shoe/bracket) from his experience due its heavy built. Anyway, I would rather like to hear you suggestion/opinion

What is the biggest tradeoff when getting a third party flash vs Nikon
one?
The biggest tradeoff is assured compatibility. The Nikon CLS system is the best flash system around and makes using multiple flashes extremely easy (or at least easier). Nikons flashes all work together seamlessly. The are some 3rd party flashes that do I-TTL but they may not work as well if you're using multiple flashes. Also, there tends to be little savings for 3rd party I-TTL flashes vs the comparable Nikon flash. So really, there is no good reason to buy a non Nikon flash, unless you have a real specific need. I wouldn't even bother with one of the cheaper 3rd party flashes or an older Nikon flash, as these would have to be used in manual mode, as they aren't I-TTL.

As far as recommendations...if you want something small and light get the SB400. You give up some functionality and power but gain a lot in portability, ease of use, and it's under $150. For something all around, the SB-600 is hard to beat. Powerful, not too big, and it does 85% of what the SB-800/SB900 does, at less than 1/2 the cost.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:54 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
Isn't the SB900 also prone to overheating?
No more than any other flash. If you try to shoot rapid fire with a flash, any flash could overheat and fry itself. The SB900 has a circuit protector that shuts the flash down if it is approaching the point where it may damage itself. Some photographers have complained about this feature, as they think it shuts the flash down too early or at inopportune times. This feature can be disabled if you wish.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 10:03 AM   #26
csd

I've got both an SB-600 and an SB-900 - and recently purchased another SB-900 after a long debate between Nissan Di866, SB-900, SB-700, or SB-600 as my third flash.
I've had the SB-600 for about 3 years - used is countless times and the SB-900 for over a year. Both are very solid flashes. I like Nissan as a lot of folks do as a lower-cost alternative.
I have heard of people shutting off the SB-900 overheat protection as they feel it kicks in too early - I personally haven't wanted to risk it. They added the overheat protection to the SB-700 (along with different dispersion patterns like the SB-900, DX/FX detection, etc.) but at $100 less - I would go with the SB-600.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:39 PM   #27

I own 2 SB600s as well. No problems with either flash. When I purchased the second one, I did debate 3rd party and Nissan did provide good value - essentially SB900 output at a SB600 price. Metz didn't see the price/value difference, and Sigma, while the least expensive had many compaints about it's capability to handle iTTL instructions reliably. Ultimately stayed with the SB600 for consistency - same menu system making it easy to coordinate/adjust.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote