Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 26, 2010, 9:06 PM   #1

Default If the D90 replacement is the D7000 ...

If the D90 replacement is the D7000, will it not have an internal autodfocus motor? (... considering the model number series.) If so, I'm glad I picked up the D90 when I did.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
If the D90 replacement is the D7000, will it not have an internal autodfocus motor? (... considering the model number series.) If so, I'm glad I picked up the D90 when I did.
It's a possibility. It has been rumored that at some point in time Nikon would do away with with the focus motor for all but the semi pro level and above (D300 and up). However, if they do remove it, I don't know that there is enough difference from the D5k series to warrant spending the extra money. I think it will have a focus motor, and the only reason for the number change is because they have run out of two digit numbers and will keep the 3 digit numbers for the semi pro level cams.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 7:04 AM   #3

I bought my D90 specifically so I could use the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8. It's unfortunate that people in similar positions will have to spend another $300-$400 to do the same thing.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:06 AM   #4

Quote:
I bought my D90 specifically so I could use the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8. It's unfortunate that people in similar positions will have to spend another $300-$400 to do the same thing.

Well, Nikon is steadily updating their lenses with AF-S. The 85 was recently updated, although without VR, so there is an option for non focus motor bodies. They have most of the primes covered now with AF-S (3 micro's 60mm, 85, and 105), an 85, 50 and 24 in f1.8 primes. The problem is cost as you mentioned.

I guess it is possible that the D90 replacement could function as a replacement for the D5k and D90, which I think is probably a bad thing.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
... They have most of the primes covered now with AF-S (3 micro's 60mm, 85, and 105), an 85, 50 and 24 in f1.8 primes.
The 85, 50 and 24 with the AF-S motors are f/1.4 primes, not the f/1.8 primes. The $195 AF-S 35/1.8 is nice, but the $120 50/1.8 and $440 85/1.8 still don't have their own motors.

They're putting AF motors in their high end lenses and taking them out of their low end bodies. The timing just doesn't sound right to me.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:44 AM   #6

Quote:
The 85, 50 and 24 with the AF-S motors are f/1.4 primes, not the f/1.8 primes. The $195 AF-S 35/1.8 is nice, but the $120 50/1.8 and $440 85/1.8 still don't have their own motors.

They're putting AF motors in their high end lenses and taking them out of their low end bodies. The timing just doesn't sound right to me.
Right....i was referring to the 1.4 lenses. There really aren't any low cost prime Af options available aside from the 35. I still don't believe many people shooting the lower end bodies are looking for primes, but I think the D90 (D7k) user would possibly be looking for that ability. And what about the pro's looking for smaller, but full featured backup bodies. I've never had a problem with the removal of the focus motor of the low end consumer bodies, but I think it would be a mistake if they removed it in a pro-sumer body like the D90 replacement. I still think the D90 replacement will have a focus motor, but I wouldn't be shocked if it didn't.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:07 PM   #7

After switching from my KM5D to my D90, I haven't completely replaced my collection of lenses yet, but the lenses I've got so far are the Nikon 50/1.8 and 85/1.8 and the Tokina 100-300/4.0. I'd be in bad shape if the D90 didn't have its own AF motor. The KM5D failed and I was looking for something to shoot indoor sports, and the 85/1.8 was the right lens. If the D90 didn't have an AF motor, I'd have gone with a Canon.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 7:42 PM   #8

Quote:
After switching from my KM5D to my D90, I haven't completely replaced my collection of lenses yet, but the lenses I've got so far are the Nikon 50/1.8 and 85/1.8 and the Tokina 100-300/4.0. I'd be in bad shape if the D90 didn't have its own AF motor. The KM5D failed and I was looking for something to shoot indoor sports, and the 85/1.8 was the right lens. If the D90 didn't have an AF motor, I'd have gone with a Canon.
I switched from Minolta to Nikon pre digital, so I was locked in with lenses, and when i got the D50 the entry level had the focus motor. I upgraded to the D80 then the D300 and traded my D80 for a D5k to use as backup. I don't do any serious work with the D5k...it's a backup and take every where light kit, so the lack of an AF motor is no big deal. However, I'm with you....if I was looking for a serious camera on a budget, if Nikon leaves the motor out of its pro sumer, i'd probably look elsewhere.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 6:55 AM   #9

I usually check online stores regularly for prices of the Nikon D90 body-only option.

I am finding "temporarily not available" on every reliable site (bhphotovideo, adorama, buydig etc...) around. Is that a sign of things to come??? Is D90 at its end of life and will be phased out with a new replacement.

Would love to see the focus motor still in the body rather than force me to purchase an AF-S lens.
no_nonsense4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 7:55 AM   #10

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_nonsense4857 View Post
I usually check online stores regularly for prices of the Nikon D90 body-only option.

I am finding "temporarily not available" on every reliable site (bhphotovideo, adorama, buydig etc...) around. Is that a sign of things to come??? Is D90 at its end of life and will be phased out with a new replacement.

Would love to see the focus motor still in the body rather than force me to purchase an AF-S lens.
Re. the availability of the D90, try Amazon. Also KEH has Nikon refurbished units for about $100 less and it includes a 90 day Nikon warranty...ordered one myself last a few days ago.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote