Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 29, 2010, 4:06 AM   #1

Default From D50 to D5000?

I was thinking to move from my D50 to a newer D5000 or some other model
I was wishing to find more bracketing shots that the 3 that actualy have...
but from what I read it seems the D5000 can shout 3 shots in bracketing

while reading some review I found one where the say thar nikon removed the autofocus motor from lower moderl, including D5000 searching in D50 specs seems mine has it... actually in not really clear what that means

All my lens are old AF... would that mean that can be used only as manual focus???
al404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2010, 7:12 AM   #2
Administrator

Right. If your lenses do not have a built in motor, then you would not have Autofocus with them on a D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D3100 or D5000 (as those camera bodies do not have a focus motor built in, and require lenses that have a built in motor for Autofocus).

In the Nikon lineup, you'd need AF-S (Silent Wave Motor) lenses for AF on those camera bodies. In the Sigma lineup, you'd need HSM (Hypersonic Motor) lenses to get AF on those camera bodies. With Tamron or other brands of third party lenses, you'd need lenses specifically listed as having a "built in motor" for AF on those camera bodies.

Your D50 was the last entry level Nikon body to include a built in motor. In the current Nikon lineup, you'll need to move up to a D90 or higher end body to get one with a focus motor built in.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 7:33 AM   #3

If you want to upgrade, but keep the AF capability with your non-AF-S lenses, the D90 that JimC mentioned is an excellent choice. But keep in mind that the D90 will likely be replaced soon, and the presumed replacement, the D7000, may not have the AF motor your non-AF-S lenses will need.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 5:50 PM   #4

i just can say thanks nikon to make me save my money and keep my camera body...
hope something is going yo change, other ways wold be the good occasion to sell all my nikon staff and move to canon
Old Aug 29, 2010, 6:51 PM   #5

Any transition is painful, but at least Nikon didn't do what Olympus did. When Olympus went digital, they went to a whole new lens mount, so none of their film lenses work with their digital camera bodies (without an adapter.)

If you can sit tight and wait to see if the D7000 has the AF motor, then that may be your best choice. If not, you could probably still pick up a D90 which will still be a significant improvement over your D50.

Last edited by TCav; Aug 29, 2010 at 6:53 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:51 AM   #6

i can sit and wait because D90 price is almost double of D3100