Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:44 PM   #1

Default D300s

i would like to get very inside detail about the camera and how to get the most out of it
the manual it came with is thick but has a lot of duplicating in it.
they explain a feature or setting with the least ammount of information.
i am looking for a book on the d300s that will explain in detail

Dave
T&T
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2010, 6:43 PM   #2

send me your d300s and ill send you my d90, ill make a video on how to use it

but really,

i believe nikon makes a video for all of their cameras

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Speedlit.../dp/B003FX74OO
Old Sep 16, 2010, 7:08 PM   #3

Dave,
If you want to get the most of your camera, learn photography. Don't worry about "how to use a camera" type stuff - get a book or take a course on photography. Once you understand the concepts of photography within a couple hours with a camera you'll know what you need to know to use it successfully in most situations.

Internet forums are also a great source of information. The key is to get advice from people that shoot what you shoot. An oly shooter that shoots macro can give much better advice on how to improve your macro shooting than a d300s owner that does not, for example. I've seen lots of very poor photos from people with expensive gear who think owning it will produce great photos. If you want to rough-frame a house you don't read a book on how to use a nail gun. Same here.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Dave,
If you want to get the most of your camera, learn photography. Don't worry about "how to use a camera" type stuff - get a book or take a course on photography. Once you understand the concepts of photography within a couple hours with a camera you'll know what you need to know to use it successfully in most situations.

Internet forums are also a great source of information. The key is to get advice from people that shoot what you shoot. An oly shooter that shoots macro can give much better advice on how to improve your macro shooting than a d300s owner that does not, for example. I've seen lots of very poor photos from people with expensive gear who think owning it will produce great photos. If you want to rough-frame a house you don't read a book on how to use a nail gun. Same here.

can you recomend some or any good on line photo courses

Dave
T&T
Old Sep 17, 2010, 7:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Dave,

In addition, it would be nearly impossible to know every feature and detail about your camera. Even if you did, I doubt you'll ever come close to using them all. That being said there is no shortcut or easy way to do it. Thom Hogan does make e-books on every Nikon camera...that's where I would start outside of the manual
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:50 PM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I purchased David Busch's reference book for the D300s and found it to be a great supplement to the manual. It offers a comprehensive description of the camera's various features, controls, how to best use them as well as offers some detailed options for settings of the shooting and CSM menus which I found difficult to figure out on my own.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/143...46294JTYSFEXY4

The reference material at www.kenrockwell.com is also a good resource. I used it in conjunction with the above book.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
I purchased David Busch's reference book for the D300s and found it to be a great supplement to the manual. It offers a comprehensive description of the camera's various features, controls, how to best use them as well as offers some detailed options for settings of the shooting and CSM menus which I found difficult to figure out on my own.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/143...46294JTYSFEXY4

The reference material at www.kenrockwell.com is also a good resource. I used it in conjunction with the above book.
i came accross that book last night on amazon and ordered it,
thanks for the reassurance that it is a good book

Dave
T&T