Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:24 PM   #1
csd

Default D7000 high-ISO quality thoughts?

I've been shooting with a D80 for the last few years and reading about the D7000 has my mind spinning that perhaps it is time to upgrade a bit. (I almost went with 300s but was concerned about size).
Question to all you smart Nikon-shooters: What are thoughts on noise levels at high ISO (800 -> 1600) using the D7000 compared to my D80?
On my D80 I never (okay - rarely) go above 400 because I find noise above that for my shooting to be unacceptable and am wondering what comparable ISO I might get on the D7000. Can I expect the noise at 1600 to be similar to the noise at 400? This would give me a great reason to upgrade! (in addition to Live View, Vid, and all the other great improvements)
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:27 PM   #2

think the d7000 will shoot well at least to 12800iso I would imagine. It would be an excellent upgrade to the d80.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:58 PM   #3
csd

Thanks shoturtle! 12800 ISO would be quite a treat!
(you know - I was just telling my wife after my 4th lens purchase in 2 years that I would be all set on lenses for a while - how do I break into the "but now I new a new body" discussion? I guess this question is out of bounds for this forum.....and seriously - she has been very supportive about my hobby)
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:01 PM   #4

It is a very and logical upgrade to your d80, yes that is an interesting conversation. I will most likely get a FF camera next year, and to get my wife to agree. I made a deal with her. She gets something she wants and I get my FF camera next year.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:19 PM   #5

here in a link to a nikon photokina samples, 12800 looks pretty good.
http://www.naturapics.com/articles.php?Article_id=809
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:48 PM   #6

I've got a D90, and can tell you that I don't find noise objectionable until ISO 1600. DxOMark.com's comparison of the two puts the noise of the D80 at 400 even with the D90 at around 1200. Chances are the D7000 would be even better.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I've got a D90, and can tell you that I don't find noise objectionable until ISO 1600. DxOMark.com's comparison of the two puts the noise of the D80 at 400 even with the D90 at around 1200. Chances are the D7000 would be even better.
I don't have any problem shooting at 3200 on my D300 and D5k (the d5k does a little better). I shot my d80 at 1600 quite a bit for indoor sports and was quite happy (to give you an idea of my thoughts). Noise is present but not objectionable (which is only my opinion). Nikon has improved in this area with each new camera, so I would expect the D7k performance to be much better than your D80
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:02 AM   #8

I don't know why I didn't think to include the D5000 in the DxOMark.com comparison I posted a link to, but it's in this one. It seems that the D5000 and D90 do about as well.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:41 AM   #9
csd

Thank you all so much for the feedback.
DxOMark is a great site! I'll be checking back to see when they add the D7000.

(shoturtle - here's the conversation I've got coming up with my wife:
me: I'd like to buy a new camera body
wife: why?
me: I get frustrated with noise when handheld shooting in low-light, improvements the camera will help with this plus there are so many more improvements.
wife: isn't that why you spend extra money on all those lenses - one of which is supposedly "fast". And anyway - shouldn't you use that tripod and ballhead you spent all that money on anyway.
me: well -sometimes I'm not using a fast lens and it isn't practical to use the tripod
wife: well - isn't that why you spent all that money on that CS5 software - so you could fix those things afterward
....you get the idea
Of course I love my wife and partly she is getting me back for the countless times I give her a hard time for spending money. I will have to go with your idea shoturtle - the new body is only $1200 but it will cost me $2400 as she will have to pick out something as well )
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:43 AM   #10

That is my plan, and it worked, as my wife agree to let me get a FF camera next year.