Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:41 AM   #11

And since neither of us work for Nikon or Newegg, neither of us can officially speak on behalf of either company, so I guess it will have to remain a mystery unless people start complaining they can't get warranty service. :-)
Ryzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:59 AM   #12

Maybe people should start emailing Newegg and asking them to possibly do something
about this...?

I just popped off this email to them in the hopes of making them aware of the situation
and the potential effect it could have on their Nikon product sales...

Quote:
It seems that there is a question regarding whether Newegg is in fact a
"Nikon Authorized Dealer"... If Newegg is NOT this would prevent Newegg
customers from seeking warranty repair or replacement of a defective
Nikon product during the warranty period... If Newegg IS an authorized
dealer then this should (MUST) be indicated on the product page by both
an obvious conferming statement as well as the "Nikon Authorized Dealer"
logo...

See this from "Steve's DigiCams" forums...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ni...ml#post1167314

If Newegg is NOT a "Nikon Authorized Dealer" it would probably be in it's
best interest to pursue becoming one... At this point in time Nikon does
not include Newegg on their authorized dealers list...

Hope you understand what I'm getting at and that this helps in some way...

Regards,

(My name and customer account number)
What do you think...?
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:26 AM   #13

Wizzard0003, I just popped off here too and started doing some research and found some people that claim they received Nikon products that did not have Nikon warranty cards, and believe the products they received are gray market. Here's a link from one at Photo.net: http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00IUHH. Some articles date back to 2006 (I may have seen one dated 2004, can't remember), so it looks like this is not a new issue for Newegg. Interesting and rather disturbing they have not addressed the issue at this point.

I looked at the D700 on their site and didn't see anything about USA authorized, but their warranty information said "1-year Manufacturer Warranty", which would "imply" Nikon warranty. Hmm, wonder if it was another manufacturer they are referring to - yikes!! *chuckles* So, if the warranty is supposed to be a Nikon manufacturer warranty, and the issue of claims of gray market equipment have been circulating since at least 2006, with what I would assume are legitimate claims from buyers, it would seem the company currently has and has had knowledge of this activity and "chooses" to ignore it. To me, that certainly speaks volumes.

I'm certainly interested in hearing their response, Wizzard003. :-)
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:00 PM   #14

If this is true that saddens me greatly...!

I've been dealing with and trusting Newegg for many years... I've spent at least upwards
of over $10k dollars with them... Though I've rarely had a problem with anything I've
bought from them I've ALWAYS recieved top notch customer service when I have...

I guess "Caveat Emptor" (Let the Buyer Beware) applies to them as well...

Here's hoping that they have more class than that and they endever to ultimately
(if this is truley the case) correct this unethical conduct in a swift and timely fashion...
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:14 PM   #15
Administrator

I found the same thing researching them earlier today (older posts from 2006, with more than one buyer indicating they received gray market Nikon gear). But, I don't see anything recent like that anywhere I've looked.

So, my guess is that the gear they're selling now is likely intended for sale in the U.S. (it's probably not gray market).

BTW, Nikon Japan will still service gray market gear. But, Nikon USA will usually not (although they have known to make exceptions from time to time). So, the term "Manufacturer's Warranty" can be a bit misleading. ;-)

The way Nikon works is via authorized Nikon importers in each country, and Nikon USA is the authorized importer in the U.S.

Because they (the Authorized Nikon importers in each region) have the burden of servicing product, advertising product, etc., they frown upon anyone bypassing their distribution network of Authorized Dealers.

Now, Nikon USA has been known to make exceptions and still provide warranty service if a camera is not Gray Market (even though their official policy is that you have to be the original purchaser from an Authorized Nikon dealer and have proof of purchase to that effect, with the Nikon USA warranty being non transferable).

But, as much as I like newegg.com, I sure wouldn't buy a Nikon camera from a dealer unless they are an Authorized Nikon USA Dealer (and I've seen no evidence that newegg.com is an Authorized Nikon USA dealer [yet]).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:34 PM   #16
Administrator

BTW, the official Nikon importers in some (but not all) of the other regions have the same policy (at least "officially"). For example, see this page on Nikon Canada's web site:

http://www.nikon.ca/en/Greymarket.aspx

"If you purchase Nikon branded photographic or digital imaging product from anyone other than an authorized Nikon Canada dealer, beware that Nikon Canada does not, and will not, provide parts, repair services, warranty service or technical support for any such product."
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:42 PM   #17

That's why it's so important that this be confermed about Newegg...

Even if my camera is out of the warranty period I still may want to get it repaired even
if I had to pay for it...

At this moment, without confermation, I will avoid Newegg regarding Nikon products
and conferm that any dealer I do buy from is authorized...
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:54 PM   #18

Well, I am not sure why you would think the gear now is "likely" not gray market. Nothing I have found on their site reflects they are an authorized Nikon seller, they are not cited in the list provided by Nikon, and their ads do not appear to say anything about a USA warranty. I really don't think there is any evidence to support the notion that the gear they are selling is "likely intended for sale in the U.S." To me, at best, it's a crap shoot, and I guess the way I would characterize their Nikon gear would be "Who knows - could be either, maybe both, but I personally lean towards more likely gray".

What concerns me most is they have not labeled their gear either way; the way B&H and Adorama do. Like you JimC, I am just not willing to take that chance, at least not with expensive camera gear. The sad thing is that buying a nice camera or lens should not require this kind of effort and anguish when dealing with well known companies.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:01 PM   #19

Btw, the whole time this thread has been going on, I have been stressing over a D7000 I picked up off of eBay from a camera store up in Massachusetts. It just arrived about an hour ago, and I have been going over the entire package with a fine tooth comb to be sure it's not gray market - oh the agony!!! lmao!! You guys have me freaked out - I'm going to be dreaming this s**t when I sleep tonight! :-)
Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:05 PM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzon View Post
Well, I am not sure why you would think the gear now is "likely" not gray market....
Well... there is a reason I said that (likely intended for sale in the U.S) is that I found some posts on other forums from purchasers of Nikon gear from newegg.ca (they also do business in Canada) claiming that Nikon Canada refused to warranty them because they were intended for sale in the U.S. ;-)

But, yes.... unless than can show that they're an Authorized Nikon USA Dealer (and Nikon USA confirms that), and the products are definitely intended for sale in the U.S., I sure wouldn't buy a Nikon camera from them, even if Nikon USA has been known to make exceptions to their policies about it.