Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:04 PM   #31

HAAA...!

A store called "AMMO TO GO" can become an authorized dealer but
"Newegg" can't...?!

That's just too funny even though it's sad...

Thanks for that pdf link...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:38 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard0003 View Post
HAAA...!

A store called "AMMO TO GO" can become an authorized dealer but
"Newegg" can't...?!

That's just too funny even though it's sad...

Thanks for that pdf link...
Because they make binoculars and rifle scopes. Who knows if Newegg "can't" or not. Maybe they've decided it's more profitable to not be an authorized dealer.
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:22 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigMe View Post
Because they make binoculars and rifle scopes. Who knows if Newegg "can't" or not. Maybe they've decided it's more profitable to not be an authorized dealer.
If not more profitable, perhaps the didn't want to put up with the BS. Ever notice how stores may have 10% off everything in the store, but the fine print states "except Bose, Krup, Maytag" etc. Being an authorised dealer and distributors dictate how the shop owner run their own business.

I had to laugh about this Newegg issue. Yes, they are one of my favorite store and I have built several computers through them. Also, they have a good pool of user comments when evaluating a potential purchase. The issue with Nikon is not new. I posed the very same question to them in May 2009. Have to laugh at the reply (difficult English) essentially saying they don't know and should check with Nikon.
Reply copied below:

Thank you for contacting Newegg.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Please kindly note that the information you required is not pass to our Customer Service Department. Please contact Nikon for the accurate answer for your concerned.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:24 AM   #34

Wow - this is an old thread - but worrisome.

I bought a 24-70 f/2.8 ($2000!) from Newegg a few months ago. It is front-focusing fairly heavily on the wide end so I'm going to send it in to Nikon tomorrow. I have to send a copy of my receipt with it... so they'll know it's from Newegg.

I guess we'll find out what's going to happen.... If Nikon refuses to service it then Newegg is going to have hell to pay!
friedmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2014, 1:39 PM   #35

all this boils down to politics. an "authorized" dealer means nothing about the reputation of the business. it just means they are abiding by the policy in which nikon sets in order to sell their product and still grant warranty to those products being sold. why is this so important for nikon? because it deters consumers from purchasing used nikon equipment and sellers from selling their used equipment. here are some examples:

advantages to nikon:
1) authorized dealers are forced to not sell below a certain price. this insures the market cost of the product stays high to what nikon deems appropriate.
2)warranty is void if you are not the original purchaser even if the item was from an unauthorized dealer. this is why nikon makes consumers register their warranty cards a few days after it's been purchased by an authorized dealer, to limit the chance the item with be resold with a "BRAND NEW" warranty card that can be registered by the next owner. this places many limitations on whether your equipment is serviceable even if you are willing to pay for it. nikon would rather deny your money for repair so you can purchase a brand new unit or a used one in this ever so diminishing market of used nikon equipment (laid upon by nikon's strict warranty policy)

advantages to authorized dealer:
1) it makes their site look more legit.
2) you can guarantee that the unit you buy will be under nikon's policy warranty

disadvantages to authorized dealer:
1) they must maintain a certain minimal price. in a consumers POV, the cost of the unit itself is level across the board from 1 vendor to another. the only main differences is the cost saving from tax exemptions, and S&H fees. it's hard to get competitive pricing from an authorized dealer and seems like a mute point.

non-authorized dealer:
1) they have the ability to set their own prices at the cost of the consumer loosing the warranty. personally, i wouldnt purchase from these places unless it's a relatively inexpensive item with a limited warranty with a good resale market. since after it's been resold, it will lose all warranty anyways from not being an original owner.

newegg is a good vendor. they ship fast, respond fast to concerns. but just because they aren't authorized doesn't make them a bad vendor. it's just the way they chose to be in terms of their business agreement with nikon.

Last edited by tekstyle; Feb 9, 2014 at 1:46 PM.
tekstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:59 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedmud View Post
Wow - this is an old thread - but worrisome.

I bought a 24-70 f/2.8 ($2000!) from Newegg a few months ago. It is front-focusing fairly heavily on the wide end so I'm going to send it in to Nikon tomorrow. I have to send a copy of my receipt with it... so they'll know it's from Newegg.

I guess we'll find out what's going to happen.... If Nikon refuses to service it then Newegg is going to have hell to pay!
UPDATE:

Newegg is now listed as a NikonUSA authorized dealer, so much of what was stated earlier in the thread may not apply.
http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/IMG/Im...ed_Dealers.pdf
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote