Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:40 AM   #1

Default Buying Nikon from NewEgg - A Warning

Hey, guys. I'm brand new here but I wanted to pass along my experience from this week in hopes that it might be useful knowledge to someone else in the future.

Last Friday I ordered a Nikon D5000 from NewEgg. At the time it was the cheapest price available online from a (supposedly) reputable dealer. After ordering I began to discuss the purchase with some folks on another forum. Some people suggested that this camera would NOT be covered under Nikon's factory warranty since NewEgg.com is not an authorized Nikon dealer. I simply didn't believe it because of my past excellent experiences with NewEgg (computer components and electronics) and the fact that they have such a strong reputation online. Their website for this camera actually says that it comes with the Nikon factory warranty. I was just not believing that Newegg would mislead me in that way.

I was beginning to doubt though so I contacted Nikon USA directly to ask them about it. This was their response:
"Brad newegg is not an authorized Nikon dealer and the camera would not be covered under the manufacturers warranty. You can check for authorized dealers here: http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...452/D5000.html Click the Authorized Dealers button on the right side. Thanks Jeff "

I immediately initiated and online chat with NewEgg. I have attached a pic that shows the important parts of the chat. They say if Nikon doesn't cover it then send it back and we'll take care of it. I don't think so. I'm going to refuse shipment and get a refund.

After I made that decision to send it back though I found a great deal at Amazon for $649.95 for the camera and $119 for the 55-200mm zoom lens (with $100 off coupon code) for a total of $770 for the camera with 18-55mm lens and 55-200mm lens.

Anyway...just a word of warning about buying Nikon products from NewEgg. This is really not good IMO because when you search for Nikon on NewEgg they even direct you to a link to their "Nikon Inc. Store". According to Nikon NONE of these items (and there are plenty) will be covered under their factory warranty even though the pages for the items claim that they will!

Hope this helps some of you in your future decision making.
Attached Images

DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2010, 2:29 AM   #2

I followed this from Ken Rockwell's site. Newegg is probably an authorized dealer/reseller. You can usually tell because the authorized dealers will shield a low price they are not authorized to advertise.

You can't really trust those dealer locators anyways. I looked up a local source and it said that Best Buy wasn't an authorized dealer. Nikon themselves sells cameras but they are not an authorized dealer either.

It's not even grey market. Grey market stuff is intended to be shipped to one country and then diverted for the US market.

Costco is one example that sells grey market stuff, but their in house warranty is much better than that of Nikon 2 years vs 1 or 90 days anyways.

As long as you get a USA warranty card your camera should be covered.
songs2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 6:35 AM   #3
Administrator

Even if the camera is not gray market and was intended for sale in the U.S., you have to be the original purchaser, and purchase it from an Authorized Nikon USA dealer for warranty coverage.

IOW, if newegg.com is not an Authorized Nikon Dealer, then you're not covered for warranty service, because you wouldn't be the original purchaser of the product (newegg.com would be considered the original purchaser if they're not an Authorized Dealer).

Now, Nikon USA would still fix it, as long as it was intended for sale in the U.S.. But, they would probably charge you for the service.

In the case of gray market gear (not intended for sale in the U.S.), Nikon USA won't service it, period (even if you are willing to pay them for the service).

Nikon USA is very picky, and their warranties are not transferable (that's the key part of this problem, as only the original purchaser of the product is eligible for warranty service, even if it's not a gray market product and even if newegg.com purchased it from an Authorized Nikon USA dealer). The warranty they would be eligible for (as the original purchaser) is not transferable if they sell the camera to someone else.

It doesn't make any difference if the product has never been registered and still has an unused Nikon USA warranty card, and is less than a year old. You need a receipt (i.e., Proof of Purchase) showing you purchased it from an Authorized Nikon USA dealer to get warranty coverage.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:10 AM   #4
Administrator

FWIW, newegg.com is one of my favorite vendors. I buy my computer related components from them (hard drives, memory, cable modems, wireless adapters, drive docks, etc.).

Ditto for memory cards for digital cameras, as they usually have great prices on them.

It surprises me that they're not an Authorized Nikon Dealer. But, they're not listed in the latest .pdf of Authorized Nikon Dealers. So, Nikon USA is probably right (you're not eligible for warranty coverage from Nikon USA).

P.S.

You can see a list of Authorized Nikon USA Dealers here (and newegg.com is not listed):

http://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/...uthDealers.pdf
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:53 AM   #5

This is extremely good to know as I purchase almost all of my computer harware
and peripherals from Newegg as well... Since I'm planning a D7000 for next year
I'll be sure and conferm that the dealer I buy from (not Newegg obviously) is
confermed as Nikon Authorized...

Thanks for sharing your experience and making us aware, Dig...

Last edited by Wizzard0003; Nov 17, 2010 at 8:34 AM.
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 8:24 AM   #6

Just a suggestion: Before people start going on a witch-hunt regarding Newegg (or any company for that matter), you may want to take a moment to look at the authorized Nikon dealer lists for various other cameras on the Nikon site. What you will find is that a number of dealers appear on one list for one product, but not on another list for a different product. For example, neither Adorama or B&H are listed on the Nikon site as authorized online sellers of the D5000 camera, yet they are both listed as authorized sellers of the D7000 and D700 according to Nikon's site. So now B&H and Adorama's reputation should be called into question for selling D5000 equipment?? The more likely scenario is that the lists maintained by Nikon are not completely accurate. This is not uncommon when it comes to maintaining web content.

Personally, I see no reason to sully the reputation of a company given how easy it is for companies to not properly maintain their web pages. Granted, I know nothing about Newegg and their business practices, but based on the questionable information provided in this thread and on the Nikon site, I have no reason to suspect Newegg is being dishonest in any way.
Ryzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 8:41 AM   #7
Administrator

Nikon updates a .pdf file periodically showing a complete list of dealers (last updated in June 2010), not just some of the authorized dealers that come up in their price search engine for a given product. You can find it here (link also in my last post):

http://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/...uthDealers.pdf

I know that newegg.com has been selling Nikon gear long before that.

I'm not saying they're trying to be dishonest or anything.

newegg.com is a reputable vendor. It's probably a misunderstanding, where they didn't realize they needed to be an Authorized Nikon dealer for their customers to receive warranty service from Nikon USA. IOW, they probably need to contact Nikon USA and become an Authorized Dealer, purchasing the cameras through Nikon USA (versus one of their authorized vendors). Now, that probably involves some obligations on their part (honoring things like Minimum Advertised Prices and more). But, that's probably their best solution to this type of issue.

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answ...9921/related/1
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:01 AM   #8

I just checked Nikon DSLR's at Newegg and they DO honor Minimum Advertised Price... They
even do that thing Amazon does where you have to enter the on sale item into the shopping
cart to see the sale price...

Maybe there is a miscommunication going on somewhere...? It is true that customer
service personnel aren't always right about what they tell customers regarding policies,
etc...

This is something that Newegg and/or Nikon need to clear up and do a better job at... It
severely deminishes customer trust in both companies...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:08 AM   #9

JimC, I understand what you and others are saying, but my question would be: Has anyone actually purchased a Nikon camera, touted as being Nikon USA authorized (not gray market), and not been able to have it placed under warranty? Until a few people can demonstrate such a problem, I think this is probably a moot issue. We don't know what kind of partnerships and business structure Newegg may be engaged in that may in fact allow them to sell Nikon equipment and still be considered an authorized seller. I understand the concern, but I wouldn't stop doing business with Newegg, as some have mentioned, without what I would consider more substantial evidence of an issue.

Btw, nice site here and a good topic for consideration, as there are a number of shady people out there looking to make a buck. ;-)

Last edited by Ryzon; Nov 17, 2010 at 9:11 AM.
Ryzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:10 AM   #10
Administrator

Well...

Nikon USA says they are not an Authorized Dealer according to the OP. The latest complete list of Nikon USA Authorized Dealers also confirms that (and they were selling Nikon gear long before that list was updated), unless they became an authorized dealer since that list was published in June 2010.

After contacting newegg.com, their customer service rep said this according to the screen capture the OP attached):

"We might not be on the list, but our vendor we purchase the items would be, so the item would still be covered under the manufacturers warranty".

Nikon USA doesn't usually work that way, as their warranties are not transferable. You have to be the original purchaser (purchasing from an Authorized Nikon USA Dealer) to get warranty service from Nikon USA (and they require proof of purchase showing that).

If you buy a product from a Nikon Dealer and resell it to someone else, they're not covered by the Warranty.