Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Nikon dSLR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-dslr-57/)
-   -   First Time DSLR Buyer (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-dslr/178801-first-time-dslr-buyer.html)

lexy32600 Oct 19, 2010 5:45 AM

First Time DSLR Buyer

I'm an amateur photographer and budding art student who wants a Nikon DSLR for fashion and nature photography.

Being a student I don't have a huge budget to spend on camera bodies and lenses, so I'm all up for buying used.

I need suggestions for a sturdy and affordable camera body and some lens suggestions for fashion and nature photography.

If you cannot think of a specific lens I should buy, suggestions to what I should be looking for would be greatly appreciated as well!

TCav Oct 19, 2010 6:27 AM

First, buying a used dSLR is a big gamble. You can't know how much use and abuse it has seen.

Second, fashion photography and nature photography are as close to being polar opposites as you can get. Nothing you use for one is applicable for the other. For fashion photography, you control everything (subject, background, lighting, etc.) In nature photography, you do the best you can with what you're given and what you brought with you.

Since cost is a primary concern, you might want to take a look at the factory refurbished dSLRs that Adorama has available. They are available with significant discounts, but only come with a 90 day factory warranty, except for Canons which come with a 1 year warranty from Adorama.

And if you could be more specific about what you want to shoot, that would help with recommending the gear you'd need.

lexy32600 Oct 19, 2010 6:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCav (Post 1156473)
First, buying a used dSLR is a big gamble. You can't know how much use and abuse it has seen.

Second, fashion photography and nature photography are as close to being polar opposites as you can get. Nothing you use for one is applicable for the other. For fashion photography, you control everything (subject, background, lighting, etc.) In nature photography, you do the best you can with what you're given and what you brought with you.

Since cost is a primary concern, you might want to take a look at the factory refurbished dSLRs that Adorama has available. They are available with significant discounts, but only come with a 90 day factory warranty, except for Canons which come with a 1 year warranty from Adorama.

And if you could be more specific about what you want to shoot, that would help with recommending the gear you'd need.

My main focus is fashion at the moment so I'll get a SLR for fashion.

I'm really new with the whole SLR thing, so thank you for all the advice you gave!

shoturtle Oct 19, 2010 6:42 PM

Have you consider factory refurbished camera's allot less of a gamble.

shoturtle Oct 19, 2010 6:44 PM

A second question, what is you budget?

tizeye Oct 25, 2010 9:12 PM

Depending on your budget answer, you may want to consider a new body, but a used lens.

phil325 Oct 28, 2010 10:56 AM

if you are familiar with ken rockwell, he swears by the older D40 bodies. they are WAY cheaper and a great camera. your money should be more focused on lenses but be sure they are compatible with your camera body. there are lens compatibility charts all over the internet.