Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 29, 2010, 3:42 AM   #1

Default sd card slot not working

Hi everyone,
the mem card slot on my D80 won't allow me to insert the card.
I took it to a repair place. The verdict is that the entire camera is "not worth repairing".

until it refused my card, I could still take pics saved to the internal memory. This indicates to me that the camera is working perfectly - every function still working as it should, but it is just that one little thing that is broken - NOT the entire camera.

Does anyone have ANY answers as to why they told me basically, the whole things is a write-off?

Also, they said they would sell me a refurbished Nikon D90 for x amount of dollars. Does it sound like I'm being scammed, or am I just naive in assuming it would only a small repair on the slot?

Would anyone who knows about this, please, please give me an urgent reply? I really need your help.

Thank you all in advance !
ripatcha@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2010, 3:51 AM   #2

Email or call Nikon support and ask if they could fix it and, if so, how much they would charge...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 9:59 AM   #3

did you try a different card
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:15 AM   #4
Administrator

$160.95 for a D80 repair from Precision Camera (an authorized repair center for Nikon and many other brands). They quote a flat rate for many cameras now to restore them to factory specs, regardless of the actual issues with it.

http://www.precisioncamera.com/

I don't know what Nikon would charge you. But, I'd ask them, too.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
$160.95 for a D80 repair from Precision Camera (an authorized repair center for Nikon and many other brands). They quote a flat rate for many cameras now to restore them to factory specs, regardless of the actual issues with it.

http://www.precisioncamera.com/

I don't know what Nikon would charge you. But, I'd ask them, too.
I think it's likely that Nikon would sent it (or tell you to send it) to Precision Camera.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 3:16 PM   #6

Hi Wizzard,
thanks for replying to me. Actually I've been dealing with a shop that sends out work TO Nikon.
regards,
ripatcha
Old Oct 30, 2010, 3:23 PM   #7

Hi,
well, the kicker is that I live in Canada but bought the cam at Costco in the U.S.
So it's probably that Nikon Canada won't do repair work on cameras bought out of the country. Strange, it's been off warranty for 1 1/2 years so it's not like they just don't want to cover it. I guess their policy is to just not touch it.

thanks
Old Oct 30, 2010, 8:39 PM   #8
Administrator

Nikon USA has the same policy. If you don't buy a camera that was intended for sale in the country you bought it in, it's considered to be a "gray market" camera, and they're not going to service it, even if you are willing to pay them for the service.

Now, if you were traveling in the U.S. and bought it, versus ordering from Costco in the U.S. while you were in Canada, you might have a chance of getting it fixed. Thom Hogan has an article on the subject here (mostly concerning Nikon USA policy, but some of the same type of thing may apply to how Nikon Canada looks at whether a product is gray market or not).

http://bythom.com/warranty.htm
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:26 PM   #9

Hi Jim,
Thanks for all of the info. I kinda suspected that would be the case. . I bought the cam when on holidays in Maui. Thought since I bought it at a reputable reseller, I'd be covered.
Live and learn I guess

best regards,
ripatcha
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:31 PM   #10
Administrator

You never know.... If you were in the U.S. at the time (in Maui) and bought it from Costo, versus buying a camera from someone in Canada that was importing it to bypass Nikon Canada, or deliberately buying it from overseas while you were in Canada to save money, then they might not consider it to be a gray market purchase and might service it. I'd call Nikon and explain the circumstances and see how they react.