Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 30, 2010, 11:41 PM   #1

Default d90 charger cord compatibility

I have recently picked up a D90 and I noticed that the cord that comes with the battery charger says 110V US version. However the charger itself is universal. Since I travel abroad every so often, do I need to purchase a different cord for parts of the world where the voltage is 220V or this cord will work?
Lilacfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2010, 8:46 AM   #2

The 110v US cord set will only work in North America as most of the rest of the world uses round pins instead of flat blades. However you can buy conversion plugs to use when traveling. You will find though that there are a number of different plugs depending on which country you are visiting.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 9:40 AM   #3

Oh I knew about the adapter plug, but I was curious about the cord itself. It won't catch fire or anything will it?
Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:59 AM   #4

If you can get one, you'd be better off with the approprate cord for your location. For instance, if you spend a lot of time in the UK, you should consider getting the UK mains lead for the charger.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 9:58 PM   #5

Do you perhaps know where I can maybe get one? I have tried hopelessly today trying to locate one.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:27 PM   #6

I was stationed in the UK for 3 years. I had a couple of heavy duty stepdown 220-120 converters for things that pull a lot of amps (like irons), but usually was able to do a simple conversion. My favorite, was the lamp. British bulbs were bayonete mount but the British Electric Shop had 240v bulbs with American screw mount. Then all it took was a "shaving adapter" on the plug side, changing the fuse from 1amp to 3 or 5amp - changes the USA plug to a British plug, but no voltage conversion as the lamp is now 240 volt.

Reason for the above explaination. The USA cord doesn't burn up.

Looking at the back of my D90 charger, it is the USA model, but with the foreign spec below. It is auto switching 100-240v 50-60 hz 0.25amp. Notice how that broad range happens to include the USA. With such low amps, all you need is the travelers assortment of foreign plugs. Typically can find them at Radio Shack, but really, many places carry them
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 6:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilacfire View Post
Do you perhaps know where I can maybe get one? I have tried hopelessly today trying to locate one.
Try a camera shop in the UK (if you're talking about the UK.) If you can find someone that will sell you one by itself, pay with a credit card and have them ship it to the hotel you'll be staying at.

Last edited by TCav; Nov 1, 2010 at 6:41 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 8:49 AM   #8

Don't be surprised if the UK charger cord is the same "zip cord" as the US model, and the only difference is the plug that will physically fit. Tried logging on to Nikon UK to view the MH-18a, but it didn't show the power cord. That is typical of Europe as the power cord is added to match where eventually sold - many times, if not modular like the MH-18a connection, the end used does the final attachment. This is because UK uses 3 prong with fuse in plug, Germany uses 2 prong round, as does France, but a different distance on the prongs, etc.

Based on the power ratings printed on the back of the MH-18a charger, it is eay to calculate the wattage as Volts x Amps = Watts

US spec 120v x 0.25a = 30 watts
Foreign 220v x 0.25a = 55 watts

It is rather obvious that that standard lampcord guage "zip cord" will easilly handle 55w. And while I would NEVER want to push its limits - and I do question the accuracy of this label - I never ripped off the white paper label on the wire. 125v 7a would equal 875 watts. Personally, I wouldn't go over a 100w bulb with zip cord - but nice to know that 30 and 55 watts is coming nowhere close to testing the limits of the wire.

The other good news, the MH-18a is auto-switching, so there is no physical switch you have to remember to flip like on some electrical appliances. 50/60 hz is immaterial as it affects timing - clocks, speed of turntables etc, and the speed of electric motors.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote