Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 23, 2003, 5:15 PM   #1
Administrator

Default Full D2H review posted

Just posted is our full Nikon D2H review -- if you have a Need for Speed -- the D2H is the answer !

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2003, 3:15 AM   #2

Steve, thanks for this.

I keep on expecting to see larger CCDs with newer Digital SLRs, and as a result I'm a bit supprised that they've gone for 2464 x 1632. I guess it's a balance of price and speed....
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2004, 7:45 PM   #3

Dear Steve,

Many thanks for the great review,

Have decided to go for one of these.... im hoping the 4mp will be enough, i will only be going to A3, and with the help of the AF-S Nikkor VR 24-120mm am hoping for some nice shots....

I was deliberating going for another s2 pro or D10, but am hoping the extra speed of the Nikon will open up new opportunities (photo)..

Kind Regards
happydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 9:49 AM   #4

Dear Steve,

I appreciate that it is down to personal taste... and i need to try for myself,

But have also been checking out the review of the Canon D1, which i also belive is 8fps...?

I did not originally look at the Canon, believing it to be much more costly however, it appears at the moment it is now cheaper than the Nikon....

I appreciate that the Nikon is the new kid on the block... but taking away the wireless 'extra' of the Nikon, and not considering brand loyalty, (i have no lenses for either until i buy)...

May i ask in your own opinion which offers the better quality image?

And why do you prefer it?

Kindest Regards as always

Stuart
Old Jan 27, 2004, 4:23 PM   #5

I shot side-by-side with a Cannon D1 user last Sunday. I had just picked up my D2H and headed down to the harbor seal haul out in La Jolla to do some test shots. The Cannon user had a beautiful big lens (100-400mm I think), so he was able to get shots I could only dream of compared to my old 24-120mm. We compared exposures using the playback screens on our cameras. You cannot judge a shot very readily using the camera itself, but his shots looked beautiful. Seeing as you dont have any existing lenses allows you to really do a good comparison for yourself since you wont be biased because of an existing investment. Bring a CF card to a good stocking dealer and shoot from both cameras out the window, at packaging and posters on the wall at various distances, keeping track of which shots were taken with which camera. Then bring the card back home and open up the images on a nice big monitor to do a real comparison. I think you'll find little to no difference in image quality. Top photographers are using both these cameras for professional work, so you can't make a wrong decision. Camera features and your individual comfort with camera layout will probably be the deciding factor. I sure do love my D2H though - the N90S will probably never get used again.
Kai Schumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 6:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by checklg
Steve, thanks for this.

I keep on expecting to see larger CCDs with newer Digital SLRs, and as a result I'm a bit supprised that they've gone for 2464 x 1632. I guess it's a balance of price and speed....
And also need. It's primarily designed for press, and more speficifally sports press usage, where the end result of the photos is at relatively low resolution in magazines, or even lower resolution in newspapers, in which case the MP rating is more than sufficient, as the extra "detail" will rarely, if ever, be used.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 8:01 PM   #7

Many thanks for the kind replies,

Do not want to get into it here as wrong forum, but have also just heard (late as usual) that there will be a new/update canon D1 so will wait a couple of weeks to hear the news.