Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:43 AM   #1
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default dxo sensor tests are in for the D7000

I started a similar thread last week in Pentax forum as the K-5 sensor test was published. The D7000 sensor test has now been published. Now, plenty of people don't like dxo tests (usually when it says their camera isn't the best imaging device in every category ) - but it's one of the few sources that at least attempts to quantify sensor performance for high iso, color depth and dynamic range. The good news is - performance from these new APS-c sensors really does look amazing. Glad to see an emphasis on quality. This is even great news if you're a full-frame shooter as it really pushes manufacturers to make quality gains in full-frame sensor design. And heck, it's great news for those of us who own Canon. So hats off to Sony (who is believed to have made the sensor) and to Nikon for their implementation.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:29 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
dlpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 143
Default

One thing that is striking when comparing the k-5 and d7k results is how consistent they are. People always try to fault DxO methodology in different ways, either mentioning sample variation or something else, and yet they show remarkable stability. This also applies to all the marketing claims made by different manufacturers discussing how they've "optimized" a given sensor, as these tests show that in the end same sensor=same result if you shoot raw.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:45 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpin View Post
One thing that is striking when comparing the k-5 and d7k results is how consistent they are. People always try to fault DxO methodology in different ways, either mentioning sample variation or something else, and yet they show remarkable stability. This also applies to all the marketing claims made by different manufacturers discussing how they've "optimized" a given sensor, as these tests show that in the end same sensor=same result if you shoot raw.
That is not at all clear to me. My understanding is that the D90 and the D5000 have the same sensor, but the D90 results for dynamic range are better than the D5000 at ISO 3200 and 6400. I have not seen anything that explains the test conditions for DXO enough to be able to make sense of that result. Have you?
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 12:03 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
dlpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
That is not at all clear to me. My understanding is that the D90 and the D5000 have the same sensor, but the D90 results for dynamic range are better than the D5000 at ISO 3200 and 6400. I have not seen anything that explains the test conditions for DXO enough to be able to make sense of that result. Have you?

I wouldn't say those are significant differences. Maybe some undetected smoothing going on, but differences of 1/2 a stop and 3/4s of a stop at extreme ISOs aren't significant enough, especially given the different measure ISOs. Statistical noise is bound to be higher in those levels anyways, and I am not claiming that DxO is accurate at those levels of precision.

But overall, I've yet to see significant differences between the basic measures from the same sensors in different cameras.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 2:14 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Wizzard0003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Aberdeen, WA USA
Posts: 1,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Now, plenty of people don't like dxo tests (usually when it says their camera isn't the best imaging device in every category )
HAAA...! Ain't that the truth...!

I'd already planned on a D7k sometime early next year (finances permitting)... I've already made up my mind
on a Nikon (of some model) so the DXO scores simply help me feel more comfortable with my choice...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 4:11 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Franko170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 303
Default

Ken Rockwell is updating his review on the D7000 today (Tuesday) as this is posted.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7000.htm
__________________
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:17 PM.