Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:34 AM   #1

Default Lense for Me Nikon D5000

Hi guys im very new to this forum, i just made my account 15 minutes ago, and just got done looking over the forum rules, and i have a question, at the moment im bidding on ebay for a Nikon D5000 Body only for $305. The problem is, its my first camera and its only the body, Im going to be taking photos of my family and I on vacation, at the beach, at night time, etc. What lens should i but that will satisfy my needs, I will also be using the camera for video recording a lot, and I really like the way depth of field looks so... any suggestions?
lilmopho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:14 AM   #2

if you re going with one lens, and do not want to spend to much the 18-105 is not to expensive and a decent first lens. If you are buying a used dslr is a gamble. There is allot that can go wrong with with used bodies. Lenses used is not a big deal, lenses are pretty simple and have way less possible issue then bodies.

Video on a dslr is not easy to do, and nikon is not particularly good with their HD video. A point and shoot does better HD video, as their AF system is better design for it, as liveview on most dslr are not great. Also if you focus the lens the internal mic of the camera will pick up the should. As the d5000 does not have an external mic option. You will need to accept the noise when focusing.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 21, 2010 at 1:18 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:11 AM   #3

I have the D5000 and bought it body-only because I wanted the 35m f/1.8 as my primary lens. I think that lens is absolutely wonderful, and if I could only have one that is the one I would have. As you go forward, I presume you will want to get additional lenses. But that is a delightful lens to anchor your kit.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:52 AM   #4

There are a lot of great lenses out there. Even the cheap 18-55vr and it's larger brother the 55-200vr are very good lenses for the money and would cover most every shooting situation. As was mentioned, the 18-105vr is also a very good option and covers all but long telephoto ranges. I'd probably stick with a zoom rather than the prime that was mentioned (the 35 f1.8) simply because zooms offer pretty good image quality with exceptional convenience....many times you cannot just simply move closer or move back. Unless you have a very specific shooting style, zooms are the way to go for beginners.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:14 AM   #5

Hey thanks guys but what does 35m f/1.8 in know its something to do with the f stop, but what brand is it, just Nikon?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:23 AM   #6

That is the nikon AF-s 35mm 1.8, it sells for about 190 dollars new. On the d5000 is gives you a good whole body lens, and it is close to the view your eye gives you.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:44 AM   #7

Yes, it is a Nikon lens. It is a length that is commonly referred to as "standard" because the perspective of the view is pretty much the same as what you see with the naked eye. A wide angle lens (roughly anything on an APS-C camera like the D5000 with a focal length less than 20mm or so) will make things look further apart front-to-back than what you see with the naked eye, while a telephoto lens (roughly a lens above about 60mm on an APS-C camera) will make front-to-back distances between objects seem less than they do with the naked eye. As you increase the deviation from standard in either direction, you increase that effect.

For most photography, you want to capture what you see. So standard focal length is the most important one generally. RJ's suggestion that you want a standard zoom lens is the usual view on these things. That's why every manufacturer's kit lens is a standard zoom.

However, I disagree. The first thing that you sacrifice by getting a kit zoom is a bright lens. The Nikon 18-55mm lens costs about the same thing as the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 lens. But the kit lens' maximum aperture is f/3.5 (if memory serves) at the short (18mm) end and f/5.6 at the long (55mm) end. That is a LOT dimmer than the 35mm lens. An f/1.8 lens is about four times as bright as f/3.5 and about 10 times as bright as f/5.6. That is HUGE. With the 35mm lens, you can take photographs in a darkened church without using flash or a tripod on your D5000:

With the kit lens, you can't begin to do that. Any indoor photograph would probably require flash with the kit lens. The main thing you woould gain with the kit lens is the wide end -- 18mm is noticeably wider than 35mm. If you can't back up to increase the width of your coverage on the 35mm, you would have to choose a cropped version of the image you were originally going to shoot. However, in my experience, that just leads me to put more thought into my composition, and I end up with better photos. Also, with a large aperture, it is easier to get that "out of focus (OOF) background" that so many people covet. The 35mm doesn't have the best possible bokeh, but it gives you a decent OOF image quality.

If you want to spend more money than the kit or the 35mm cost, you can get zoom lenses that are much brighter than the kit lens. But, for the same money, I would strongly prefer the 35mm f/1.8 to the kit lens. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:29 PM   #8

Stunning photograph, I really like the way an "out of focus background looks" and since im going to be taking most of these photos just of my family and I, I want the lens to work well in low light since I assume that a good part of the pictures we are gonna be taking are at night.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:34 PM   #9

Yes the 35mm 1.8 is good for the nice bokeh that you are looking for. But for the first lens, it may be very constraining. It would be a nice second lens. I would still go with a 18-105 as the first lens. It gives you more ranges to play with.

I primarily shoot prime lenses. And if I did not have 4 different ranges, it would be a bit of an issue.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:19 PM   #10

I agree with shoturtle. There's no question that a lens like the 35mm 1.8 gives you a lot more lowlight capabilities. But you only have that one angle available. You cannot zoom in or out. And while that "normal" perspective may seem ideal, it is extremely limiting in many situations. It's good to have such a lens, but it's even better (in my opinion) to have the flexibility of a zoom lens. Use that zoom lens to discover what focal length most appealing to you and your style of photography. Then get a prime lens that matches that style.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote