Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 26, 2010, 7:28 AM   #1

Default D7000

Dang!Blast it! and other exclamations, just as I decided at my age I'll never want another camera, along comes the D7000. I've just been reading a review of it and now my fingers are itching again.
The big problem will convincing the other half that I need it.Dohh!
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2010, 12:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot View Post
Dang!Blast it! and other exclamations, just as I decided at my age I'll never want another camera, along comes the D7000. I've just been reading a review of it and now my fingers are itching again.
The big problem will convincing the other half that I need it.Dohh!
Aside from a few bells and whistles and extra speed, how do you think the D7k will improve your photography, especially given your current equipment. The D7k does look good, but I'm waiting another round before upgrading my D300 or my D5k.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 4:25 PM   #3

Am lusting after the D7000 also to replace my D90, but as soon as I would buy it, a D9000 will be out with more bells and whistles. I'm holding out for a up-down-sideways swivel 'live view' on the back of a new Nikon, as Canon has.
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
Aside from a few bells and whistles and extra speed, how do you think the D7k will improve your photography, especially given your current equipment. The D7k does look good, but I'm waiting another round before upgrading my D300 or my D5k.
Hi ,I guess I'm a sucker for bells and whistles.
Possibly the high ISO performance, it appears to be better.
The D.O.F preview button,I miss that from my old film days,it's true that it's not so important with digital.
Better resolution display.100% V.F(would save the odd finger shot) see earlier post about hoods :-)
Focusing and burst appear to be better(lots of Grandchildren action shots).
!6 mp ,I crop quite often for a variety of reasons. I like the button access to various features.
Whether any of this transfers to better photo's, I doubt if I will see any great difference.
Hands up! I really like new gizmo's.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot View Post
Hi ,I guess I'm a sucker for bells and whistles.
Possibly the high ISO performance, it appears to be better.
The D.O.F preview button,I miss that from my old film days,it's true that it's not so important with digital.
Better resolution display.100% V.F(would save the odd finger shot) see earlier post about hoods :-)
Focusing and burst appear to be better(lots of Grandchildren action shots).
!6 mp ,I crop quite often for a variety of reasons. I like the button access to various features.
Whether any of this transfers to better photo's, I doubt if I will see any great difference.
Hands up! I really like new gizmo's.
I've been through the need to acquire new stuff, and thankfully I think I've overcome the urge to get something new. In fact I've been paring down, selling off stuff I just had to have and really never used. I'm down to 2 bodies...D300 and D5k plus one compact (Canon S95). I've found the D5k is pretty capable when shooting sports..not as good as the D300 but I don't find it lacking at all..it's a ton better than the D50 and D80 were and the burst is very good. When shooting the D300 I get in the bad habit of just firing away and end up throwing away half the shots, so for me, burst rates above 4 fps are nice but not necessary. that being said, I'd take a D7k is one fell into my hands.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 9:41 AM   #6

I love my D7000.

I upgraded from a D5000.
DVC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:27 AM   #7

There are always going to be new cameras that are going to have more, and better, and bigger, and less, what ever. But none of them are ever going to make me or any other photographer a better photographer. I have a D40 and a D90. I like the D90 because it has the extra controls, but every time I use the D40 I often wonder, "why did I upgrade?" Both cameras take excellent images when used properly. And, for me, the image is what is important, not the bigger viewfinder or the layout of the menus or whatever.

The marketing hype from the company has got to motivate people to buy the new cameras, or Nikon would go out of business. But just because a new camera is introduced doesn't mean that what you have is suddenly going to take noticeably inferior images. I enjoy photography. I don't feel that I have to have the very latest thing on the market in order to enjoy my hobby. If you have the money, or you can really justify getting the new camera, then go for it. But I haven't seen anything to motivate me to upgrade.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 3:07 PM   #8

I was one of those folks that said, "nah my camera is good enough no need to upgrade." I have a D90 and very happy. But when i got my hands on a D7000 i was really impressed. The reviews or hype if you call it, are true. The focusing on this thing is super fast, don't know how to describe it, you have to try and use it to believe it. High ISO in low light is also impressive and the extra controls are great. It really got me converted. The scary part is that the D7000 has really become idiot proof. Aim and shoot and camera just grabs focus and shoots. Or, Use Program mode, set Auto ISO on with max limit of 6400 and min shutterspeed to 1/125 and done, perfect for indoor shots with kids running around.

I already sent in my order and just have to wait when it'll arrive (hopefully soon and before Christmas). Now i'm kicking myself for waiting it out and should have just ordered it when it first came out.

I agree that D40 or other lower models are capable cameras but there are just features on newer models that makes the job a lot easier. I remember fiddling with my friend's D40 and i had a hard time setting it up to my liking, ofcourse familiarity was also an issue but the LCD screen made me cringe coming from D90. But bottomline, i would use D40 if that's the only camera around but don't tell that to my wife. She already approved the budget for D7000.
rrbarcarse is offline   Reply With Quote