Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 12, 2010, 5:09 PM   #1

Default D5000 Glass screen Protectors, too Thick

H Chums,
Just thought I would mention this.
Bought Quality Glass rear screen protector for D5000. It is real nice and clear and hard to scratch. It is only about 1/3 of a mm thick but it prevents the screen from being folded away back on to the camera and locking on the latch at the top. It'll fold back, but not latch and sticks off the body slightly.
It looks like there is very little clearance for a lcd protector other than the plastic film types.
I would have liked to be able to fold the screen in when being transported etc but really the glass protector is nice so I cant see it's a problem. Just thought I would mention it.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:59 AM   #2

I'm still trying to work out why anyone would want a screen protector when the rear screen folds in for protection. Surely thats the whole point of a fold in screen.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:32 AM   #3

I ll let you into a secret. Some people use the folding screen to take pics above there head or on the ground or turn it around to compose a self portrait or For the video mode with oneself on screen, and then maybe turn the screen in when placing in the padded bag where Ironically it's at it's safest.
My feelings are I,m at more risk of breaking off the screen folding joint if i twizel it around everytime I want to take some pics or put it away. The screen on these rotates all the way in 1 direction to the fold away point but only goes half way If rotated the other way. It does concern me that with ham fisted cold hands a bit to much energetic twizeling in the wrong direction will see me with a removable lcd screen when it's not supposed to be. So for me I,m just twizling it when I want to use the screen for an angle shot and not everytime I put it away or move on to the next shot.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:21 AM   #4

For your peace of mind, I have had my D5000 for more than 18 months and have taken over 3000 shots with it with plenty of twizzling and so far no problems/scratches. I imagine there must be a life span for any mechanism though. Also I've had my Panasonic for 5 years and that goes on beaches etc with loads of kids having used it, fortunately no scratches.So I think the LCDs must be quite good/tough especially as the new breed of DSLRs look like having touch screens .
Anyway good luck with your camera, have a Happy Christmas and a Healthy and Prosperous New Year and dont worry your secret is safe with me :-)
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 12:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by condorman View Post
I ll let you into a secret. Some people use the folding screen to take pics above there head or on the ground or turn it around to compose a self portrait or For the video mode with oneself on screen, and then maybe turn the screen in when placing in the padded bag where Ironically it's at it's safest.
My feelings are I,m at more risk of breaking off the screen folding joint if i twizel it around everytime I want to take some pics or put it away. The screen on these rotates all the way in 1 direction to the fold away point but only goes half way If rotated the other way. It does concern me that with ham fisted cold hands a bit to much energetic twizeling in the wrong direction will see me with a removable lcd screen when it's not supposed to be. So for me I,m just twizling it when I want to use the screen for an angle shot and not everytime I put it away or move on to the next shot.
Mark
While I'm sure the connection point between the LCD and the body is probably the weak part of the camera, I've never hear of any D5k's screen being damaged or broken off from overuse. I always store the camera with the screen turned in, and i've never given it a second thought, or felt the attachment was weak. A hard cover for the lcd sounds nice (I have one on my D300, which came with it), but the lcds are pretty hardy, and I've never scratched one on any of my cameras. I'm just not a fan of adding something to the camera that reduces functionality (in this case being able to rotate the lcd to the body). Either way to each his own.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 1:10 PM   #6

Happy Christmas and a Healthy and Prosperous New Year to you Guys as well.
Thanks for the replies Chaps,
Sounds Like I,m over concerned although My Friend recently broke his screen knocking it against something hard, I,m not convinced a hard glass protector would have prevented that but he says he wouldn't bother with one as it was only 60 to get a new screen and he has other bodies to use.
I have scratched the screen on my Panasonic compact and that had a plastic film protector on it, the plastic ones I find get scratched really quick and puckered etc.
I,m not great with stuff, I got a new car years ago and reversed it backwards between some drive pillars, Would have been fine if I had rememberd to close the drivers door.
I like the camera a lot, and Got accidental damage cover on it as an extra just in case.
Thanks Guys. Have a great Christmas.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:57 PM   #7

I really am not overprotective with my equipment. I used to use filters, screen protectors, etc, and a few years ago, realized I never had any issues or had even come close to damaging equipment and there wasn't a need to spend the extra money. I imagine one day this will come back to haunt me.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote