Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 2, 2011, 8:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko170 View Post
Ken Rockwell does do some image tests, with examples on the difference in image quality between the 300 (same sensor as the 300s) and the D90 up to high ISOs. He also expresses the opinion that the d7000 has better image quality than anything else Nikon sells under $7000 - that's pretty good 'enthusiast' quality - and that the 7000 focuses very fast and accurately. He backs up what he believes fairly well. For the price, he believes it's a fantastic camera. D7000worththeprice
Be careful using Ken Rockwell as a main source of information. There are some good things on his site, but he tends to speak in hyperbole, and often contradicts himself from review to review. He can be entertaining, but as a quality reviewer, he's a little weak.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 8:36 AM   #12

Buy the D300s and keep the D90 as a back-up or second camera. The way you are posing the question wether to buy or not, tells me that you want to buy the D300s anyway. Sometimes its not only a question of hard facts or technical measurements, but as much that of a certain feeling, or something un-defined we cannot put words to...

The D300s has better build quality, is dust- and moisture-protected (together with the 16-85mm ED VS - which also has a weather-sealing gasket, you would be better equipped outdoors in most weathers..), has better AF (51 vs 11) and one of the best Bracket-functions available.

For my photography - 99% landscape - the possibility to make up to 9 bracket-shots with the choice of 0,3 - 0,7 or 1,0 EV in between is one of the most cherished functions I use. The D90 only offers the bog-standard three-frame option of most budget DSLRs. In addition you have the little know but very useful Mirror Up-exposure for these shots where you are afraid that your mirror-slapping camera might shake the tripod....

I have had the D90 - D200 - D300 and recently (1 month ago) I bought a brand-new D300s - and I feel I have a perfectly suited camera offering most of what I ask of a decent camera.

Pick it up and feel it. It inspires confidence (What? Biased - me? Of course I am biased - I love the D300s!!)

Good luck, Istvan!
:^)

BTW: Here in Norway, they sell the D300s for NOK 8.999,- now - which is a great price!

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Jan 2, 2011 at 8:46 AM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 10:52 AM   #13

Thanks guys once again for some good info! It really makes me think over it in different ways.

Walter S, you might be right, and for the price I am very tempted in buying, in sweden it coasts 9.990 SEK including a Meike batterygripp. Wich also is a great price!

But right now I'm out travelling and I'm coming back to sweden in 1,5 months. I'm hoping that they maybe released the D400 by then, so I can compare, both specs and prices. Hopefully the D300s might drop some more in price until then.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
Be careful using Ken Rockwell as a main source of information. There are some good things on his site, but he tends to speak in hyperbole, and often contradicts himself from review to review. He can be entertaining, but as a quality reviewer, he's a little weak.
Duly noted, but having seen other samples of image quality of the D7000, I'm pretty psyched about it and can't wait to see what Nikon will produce next.
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote