Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:47 AM   #1

Default Hot pixels - why do they happen - is it something I may have caused?

Hi everyone,
This topic may not be relavant in this forum but I don't know where else to ask my question. . .
And that is: how bad is it when you discover a hot pixel when you zoom in on a photo on your computer. I mean, I just don't know how terrible it is. Like, will my cam develope more of these? Can they be repaired? Is it something that was caused by me?

I'd love to get feedback on it because none of the photo books I have deal with that topic at all. I just need to know how bad an issue it is.

Much thanks to all
ripatcha
ripatcha@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:50 AM   #2

Hot pixels happen. You probably didn't do anything to cause it. Sometimes it will go away on its own, and sometimes not. Some cameras have ways of correcting them (i.e.: dark frame subtraction, bias frame) and some don't.

Check your manual or call customer service for your camera brand to see if there's anything you can do.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:57 AM   #3

BTW, you really shouldn't use your e-mail address as your username. It can be collected by spammers and others that make use of the e-mail addresses for their own uses.

If you communicate with the moderators here, I'm certain they'll help you change your username.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:40 AM   #4

I had a D40 that picked up severall H/Ps so I sent it back to Nikon UK to have them removed under warranty.When it came back it had more than when I sent it, so I sent it back again because the new ones were right where faces very often are.The second time it came back with fewer.
Since then I bought the D5000 which has a CMOS sensor ( Nikon told me that they were less subceptable to H/Ps.)
I have had a few H/Ps after shots taken at 3200 iso but they are gone afterwards so they seem to heal themselves/dissappear. If I take another 3200 iso shot they will be somewhere else.
Olympus have a pixel mapping setting on some of their DSLRs which seem to work well but it gets rid of them it doesn't cure them so in theory you could end up with one good pixel after a thousand years of pixel mapping:-)
I've just remembered that Nikon replaced my sensor the second time but it came with a few h/p's anyway??
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod

Last edited by deadshot; Jan 10, 2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: remembered a relevant point
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:38 PM   #5

Hi TCav,

Thanks SO much for your reply. Very helpful and I will call Nikon about it.

Also, thanks for the 'heads up' regarding my user name.

I really appreciate it!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:41 PM   #6

Hi Deadshot,
Thanks for the very interesting info about the HPs. I had no idea about them before they appeared on my picture zooms.

Well, I hope I don't get anymore. I can't feature myself being tied into removing them manually in a an editing program.

I guess if that's the worst thing that happens to my camera, I should feel lucky.

Thanks again!