Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Nikon dSLR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-dslr-57/)
-   -   Upgrade! (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-dslr/183532-upgrade.html)

NoFlashPhotography Jan 29, 2011 1:48 AM

Upgrade!
 
I have been thinking about upgrading. Would it be a good idea to sell my d50 body and then upgrade to a d100 body? I know d100's are older but they are the same 6 mega pixels. The d100 has more fps and more controls for about the same price as the d50 body. Actually there is one on craigslist for $180 and d50 bodies are selling for $250. So i can make money by selling my d50 and getting a d100 and with a d100 I can get an mbd100 gri. So what do you guys think?

TCav Jan 29, 2011 2:02 AM

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

Buying a used dSLR is a big gamble. You don't know how much use and abuse it's received. I think you're better off with your D50 that with someone else's D100.

shoturtle Jan 29, 2011 2:06 AM

Get a new d90, getting used is a big gamble with bodies as TCav said. If something fails it is expensive to repair, and nikon will charge you a pretty penny.

NoFlashPhotography Jan 29, 2011 2:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCav (Post 1195220)
Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

Buying a used dSLR is a big gamble. You don't know how much use and abuse it's received. I think you're better off with your D50 that with someone else's D100.

True. I bought my d50 used but I got it off a guy who never really used it. Under 2000 actuations. It's mint still. If i were to get a d100 you think it will be broken?

TCav Jan 29, 2011 2:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoFlashPhotography (Post 1195223)
If i were to get a d100 you think it will be broken?

I don't necessarily think it will be broken, but I think it may have had a significant portion of its useful life sucked out of it.

rjseeney Jan 29, 2011 8:29 AM

I agree with the others. I think your better off with your D50 for a few reasons. First, buying a 7 or 8 year old used DSLR is pretty risky, regardless of how many shutter clicks it has. Second, despite the extra control, the D50 is an upgrade in image quality, as the sensors really evolved a lot between the D100 and D50 release. Aside from better build quality, and a little more speed and control, it's not really even an upgrade going from the D50 to the D100. I think you'd be taken a 1/2 step or even a step backwards.

vIZnquest Jan 29, 2011 11:49 AM

I agree with rjseeney on that going to a D100 is not an upgrade. Always better off new than to think you are saving getting a used dSLR body.
The D90 is a much better choice.
If you are set on getting it anyway. I would check to see the shutter actuations and test to see if the sensor is needed to be cleaned or not. There are posts on checking your sensor for dustbunnies and the like. Even though it is used the $180 price is pretty low to me.

rjseeney Jan 29, 2011 2:06 PM

$180 is kinda low, but getting it from a private source is taking a huge chance. I certainly wouldn't sell my D50 to finance the purchase. If you insist on getting a d100, go to a reliable source like KEH. They've got used D100's for around $235 in excellent condition.

Also, you should consider why you think you need an upgrade. And again, aside from speed, you're really gaining nothing by getting a D100. Minimum, you should look towards a D200 for an affordable pro type body, or the D80 for a more affordable consumer body.

NoFlashPhotography Jan 29, 2011 4:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjseeney (Post 1195364)
$180 is kinda low, but getting it from a private source is taking a huge chance. I certainly wouldn't sell my D50 to finance the purchase. If you insist on getting a d100, go to a reliable source like KEH. They've got used D100's for around $235 in excellent condition.

Also, you should consider why you think you need an upgrade. And again, aside from speed, you're really gaining nothing by getting a D100. Minimum, you should look towards a D200 for an affordable pro type body, or the D80 for a more affordable consumer body.

The only reason I thought about upgrading was because of more fps. It's hard to take sequence shots of skateboarding with the d50's 2.5fps. I didn't have my mind set on the d100. Just a thought, I guess I will stick with my d50 for a little longer. Maybe eventually I will have enough money for a new d7000.

shoturtle Jan 29, 2011 4:49 PM

d7000 6fps for about only 2 sec before buffer lag then down to 2fps. D90 will give you a logger burst period before buffer lag.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2