Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 6, 2011, 8:17 PM   #1

Default D90 & win.7 question

Is the D90 compatible with win 7? I just bought a new computer & have been unable to get the pc to transfer the pictures from my camera,via the usb cord. I've only had this camera for about 18 mths & used XP previously with no problems. I did not install the camera software on xp & have not installed it on my new win 7 pc. Does anyone else have this issue & how did you solve it? When I plugged the camera in the first time, I caught a quick glimpse of what appeared to be driver update. I've read conflicting info about the compatibility, it is,it isn't. Not sure what to do at this point.
sueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2011, 8:58 PM   #2

Never tried transfering with the cable, always removed the card and inserted it into the computer. Ill have to give it a try and see what happens.
emptyquiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyquiver View Post
Never tried transfering with the cable, always removed the card and inserted it into the computer. Ill have to give it a try and see what happens.
Using the usb cord has always been the simplest & quickest way for me to transfer my pictures. They just fly right into my picture folders in seconds.I've never used a card reader,but may have to learn how now.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 6:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueg View Post
Using the usb cord has always been the simplest & quickest way for me to transfer my pictures. They just fly right into my picture folders in seconds.I've never used a card reader,but may have to learn how now.
Not much to learn. You just plug it in and open the file. Card readers also don't drain your cameras battery and take up less space on your desk.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 7:43 AM   #5

Also a card reader user as I find even faster, although both methods are usb based which is what determines your transfer rate at the computer level. Only downside, went to take a picture and the card was still in the computer...oops. Now I leave the card door open (or battery door open when charging battery) to make sure I don't just grab the camera and run. Also keep a spare SD card in the camera bag pocket.

Curious what the receiving software is if you didn't install the camera software? Using Windows IE and copy/paste? Personally, I use Nikon's Transfer and ViewNX - both free downloads from Nikon. Pop the card in, up pops the window asking what program to use, and choose transfer. CAUTION: Be sure and set the parameters before first use - new directory #, delete from card, etc. Nikon had (has) a deadly combination that happened to me, and I overheard in a camera store. Camera factory default is not sequencial file numbers but starting back at 0001 after transfer (change that default). On the transfer side, the default was for a single directory so file 0001 on the second transfer would overwrite file 0001 from the first transfer, never to be recovered.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 3:38 PM   #6

there should be no problems using your D90 with win7
heres a link confirming http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/com...eras&os=32-bit
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
Also a card reader user as I find even faster, although both methods are usb based which is what determines your transfer rate at the computer level. Only downside, went to take a picture and the card was still in the computer...oops. Now I leave the card door open (or battery door open when charging battery) to make sure I don't just grab the camera and run. Also keep a spare SD card in the camera bag pocket.

Curious what the receiving software is if you didn't install the camera software? Using Windows IE and copy/paste? Personally, I use Nikon's Transfer and ViewNX - both free downloads from Nikon. Pop the card in, up pops the window asking what program to use, and choose transfer. CAUTION: Be sure and set the parameters before first use - new directory #, delete from card, etc. Nikon had (has) a deadly combination that happened to me, and I overheard in a camera store. Camera factory default is not sequencial file numbers but starting back at 0001 after transfer (change that default). On the transfer side, the default was for a single directory so file 0001 on the second transfer would overwrite file 0001 from the first transfer, never to be recovered.
Win XP had a wizard that transfered pictures via usb cord from both my Niko & my Canon. My cords were kept near my pc, so it was easy to connect, select where I wanted my pictures to go & be done. I have a sd card reader from a while back but it's no good for a sdhc card. I called Nikon & they sent me a link & info for the updated NX software,so my problem is solved.
I haven't had any problems with the sequencial file numbers. My pictures so far are numbered way up in the thousands. Is this a problem that happens only with the software? With XP, I could select a name for the pictures & which folder to transfer too. But with the software, this didn't happen, the pictures transfer into a new dated folder in the picture library & yes the files started at 0001. I will watch for this overwriting,thanks for the warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
there should be no problems using your D90 with win7
heres a link confirming http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/com...eras&os=32-bit
I saw that, but I also found lots of others like me,with the same problem. That's the conflicting info that had me confused. Nikon said I needed the software or a card reader to transfer.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:40 AM   #8

So it was really a problem with the Nikon software. I also use a D90, but I always download using a card reader. And I don't have any problems. I insert the card into the reader, and in the Lightroom import dialog the images just show up and I import them to my hard drive.

Of course you are free to download any way you prefer. But I have read from more than one expert that using a card reader is potentially more reliable and potentially safer than connecting the camera to the computer.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 7:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphess View Post
So it was really a problem with the Nikon software. I also use a D90, but I always download using a card reader. And I don't have any problems. I insert the card into the reader, and in the Lightroom import dialog the images just show up and I import them to my hard drive.

Of course you are free to download any way you prefer. But I have read from more than one expert that using a card reader is potentially more reliable and potentially safer than connecting the camera to the computer.
My problem was that with win. 7, I needed the Nikon software to be able to transfer my pictures from my camera. I had not installed any camera software previously as XP has a camera wizard that does that.

Yes, I have heard it's safer for the camera to use a card reader instead of the usb cord. I've been doing it with the usb cord for all of my cameras for 10 yrs though without incedent,so I'm kinda set in my ways. Probably need to work on that.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 4:38 PM   #10

You really don't NEED any special software to download images from your camera. Yes, it makes things a little easier. But none of the extra software is necessary. You can use Windows Explorer to copy the images from your card reader to a folder on your computer. There's nothing magical about it.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote