Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:10 AM   #1

Default D1X - worth buying new glass?

I have a D1X. Its only a 5 megapixel camera but built like a tank. I like its feel and want to know if its worth it to buy new lens for it or to spend the money on a newer cheaper camera. At present I have 2 sigma lenses. A 28mm and a 28-300mm zoom. Im just not sure whether spending any money on this old camera is worth it or not. Anyone with more experience got a suggestion?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:17 AM   #2

Bodies come and go but good glass is forever... If you plan to stay with Nikon any
glass you buy would probably move on to the next body... If you buy glass think
about whether it will make sense with the body you plan to progress to in the future...

If you plan to go with another platform in the future then you'd probably be better
of putting your money into that platform...

What's your upgrade plan for the future...? Would a new body bring features/performance
that you need or wish you had now..?

Just some things to consider...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:57 PM   #3

The two cameras I have now are a Fuji S5200 point and shoot with built in flash. Limited to 4 sec max exposure and shows lots of noise above ISO 800. But I feel really comfortable with the camera over the Nikon. Im not looking for lots of bells and whistles and prefer totally manual settings. About the only thing Im not happy about the D1X is the pixel count. Its only 5.3 megapixel. The sensor is pretty small. Aside from that it has all I want in a camera. But the quality isnt what I would expect from an expensive camera no matter how old it is. And I dont consider 9 years old for a camera. Its only old for the technology. Thats why I ask if I would be better off buying a new camera or buying a new better lens for the D1X. I have no plans to upgrade to another system if I can get what I want from the Nikon. I also have a few lenses for my Pentax if I decided to go that route. However, Im looking towards the Samsung NX10, the Panasonic G2 or the Pentax Kr.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:51 AM   #4

Bynx,
The D1X would do better with better glass as all cameras would. When this camera came out there were no where near the consumer grade lenses available. Obviously, this camera was made for a professional in mind using best glass. I checked PBase online and looked at images taken with this camera. Most excellent. The D2H/D2hs was only 4 MP cameras and were also used by professional sports shooters. The MP count is a minor issue in my opinion. What it does do in fact is force the photographer to be better with framing the shot than to shoot loosely and crop later. The 35mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.8 are excellent lenses that are not high in cost. I would start there. Much better than scrapping it for another system more current and very high in cost. I would sell those Sigma lenses first.

Last edited by vIZnquest; Feb 20, 2011 at 12:58 PM.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 1:13 PM   #5

Being a poor cheap guy I very seldom crop my shots but rather do it when Im taking the shots. I always look in the viewfinder as if Im looking at the finished product and go from there. Thanks for the info Viz. I will be looking at new glass.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 5:22 PM   #6
NHL

I agree, I don't know what you shoot, but there are also two Sigma lenses which are high on my list. The 50 f/1.4 and their 85 f/1.4, they surpass both Canon, Nikon (& Zeiss) equivalent in almost every categories:
http://www.lenstip.com/277.5-Lens_re...berration.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:55 PM   #7

Default I agree as well

Hmm, seems we go along the same lines in what we would like to have.
I too find that Sigma has some great offerings in the 1.4 range. I will look at the 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4 and the 85 1.4 as lenses to get when I get the money saved for it. The 30mm 1.4 will be the first.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote