Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:48 PM   #1

Default New D90

I have wanted a D90 for the last little while. But due to the fact that I have been using a Pentax for the last few years and had a few lenses I thought the logical thing for me was to stick with Pentax when it came time for me to upgrade. The time was last week and I went looking for a K7, my local shop did not have one in stock for me to see and try. So they said they would order me one, got the call this morning and went to to the store. Well they unpacked the camera and as soon as I held it in my hands I knew it was not the right fit for me, to small and there was no way that regardless of how many lenses I owned that I was going to commit to the K7. Without any hesitation I knew it would be the D90 the fact that once I tried the camera it felt like putting on the right size glove made my decision that much easier. I just love it.
Ross
quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2011, 5:10 PM   #2

i was the same, i had loads of pentax gear but i took the plunge and sold my k20D and all my lenses, got myself D90 and ive never looked back
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartz View Post
I have wanted a D90 for the last little while. But due to the fact that I have been using a Pentax for the last few years and had a few lenses I thought the logical thing for me was to stick with Pentax when it came time for me to upgrade. The time was last week and I went looking for a K7, my local shop did not have one in stock for me to see and try. So they said they would order me one, got the call this morning and went to to the store. Well they unpacked the camera and as soon as I held it in my hands I knew it was not the right fit for me, to small and there was no way that regardless of how many lenses I owned that I was going to commit to the K7. Without any hesitation I knew it would be the D90 the fact that once I tried the camera it felt like putting on the right size glove made my decision that much easier. I just love it.
Ross

Iknow exactly how you feel, i had a K10, then the K20 was going to get the K7 but was fed up with Pentax focus speed went to the D90 and was pleased ten folds over, now have the D300s and extreamly pleased.
i got rid of my Pentax gear and never looked back, i sorry to say this but i think most pentax owners keep their gear because of pride.
if they only knew what they are missing

Dave
T&T
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:21 AM   #4

kazuya and Dafiryde
So very glad to have made the switch the focusing speed of the D90 alone is reason enough. Could either one of you guys tell me how to tell if I have the latest firmware on my D90. When I press the firmware version button it shows A.1.00 B.1.00 and L.1.002. I think the latest version is 1.002, does the fact that 1.002 shows on my screen mean that it's already installed.
Thanks Ross
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:09 PM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I too was a long time Pentaxian and in 2009 I started two-timing started shooting with a Nikon D300s. It wasn't long after I parted ways with Pentax and now am 100% Nikon. Pentax makes good gear, but in my experience, Nikon makes superior gear. For my pursuit of aviation photography, my ratio of takers to keepers increased significantly as a result of using Nikon gear. I therefore sold my K20D, K10D, DA*16-50 mm f2.8, DA* 50-135 mm f2.8, DA10-17 mm FE, DA 18-250 mm, and a Sigma 70-300 mm and now own a D300s, D90, Nikkor 70-200f2.8, 1.7 Teleconverter, 10.5mmFE, 50mmf.1.4 and a Tamron 18-270 together with a Nikon SB600 and SB400 flashes. The cost of Nikon gear is higher, but for me, it shows in the final products. Big differences to me were in the areas of AF speed and accuracy, low noise, and availability of a decent array of high quality zoom lenses.

Must admit though that I miss the fellowship of the good folks in the Pentax DSLR forum! BTW, I also use a Canon S90 for my P&S needs.

Dave, I think your observation about Pentax pride is quite right. Pentaxians are a loyal bunch...I too was for a while until I started using the D300s and realized what I was missing.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 5:00 AM   #6

yes quartz if it says 1.002 already you dont need to update your firmware
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:27 AM   #7

kazuya:
Thanks very much, that's what I thought.
Ross
Old Feb 28, 2011, 9:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
I too was a long time Pentaxian and in 2009 I started two-timing started shooting with a Nikon D300s. It wasn't long after I parted ways with Pentax and now am 100% Nikon. Pentax makes good gear, but in my experience, Nikon makes superior gear. For my pursuit of aviation photography, my ratio of takers to keepers increased significantly as a result of using Nikon gear. I therefore sold my K20D, K10D, DA*16-50 mm f2.8, DA* 50-135 mm f2.8, DA10-17 mm FE, DA 18-250 mm, and a Sigma 70-300 mm and now own a D300s, D90, Nikkor 70-200f2.8, 1.7 Teleconverter, 10.5mmFE, 50mmf.1.4 and a Tamron 18-270 together with a Nikon SB600 and SB400 flashes. The cost of Nikon gear is higher, but for me, it shows in the final products. Big differences to me were in the areas of AF speed and accuracy, low noise, and availability of a decent array of high quality zoom lenses.

Must admit though that I miss the fellowship of the good folks in the Pentax DSLR forum! BTW, I also use a Canon S90 for my P&S needs.

Dave, I think your observation about Pentax pride is quite right. Pentaxians are a loyal bunch...I too was for a while until I started using the D300s and realized what I was missing.

Jehan

Back then when i was a loyal pentaxian i kept on hoping and was told that with the K7 most of my focus speed would be fixed for my 16-50 and 50-135, so i pulled the plug and pre ordered the K7, it sat at my daughters home for almost 3 weeks waiting for a piggy back ride down to me, my feet started getting cold and realised that i paid $1500 and was not sure what to expect, that is when i read about the d90, and returned the K7 that i never saw , and since then never looked back
Pentax does make great gear, its just that Nikon makes it better

Dave
T&T
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 8:50 PM   #9

Default Love Pentax but...

I still have my istDS my first dSLR. The 3200 iso is by far better than what my two D200's can do. I opted for the fps of the D200 and basically when shooting in good light I am quite pleased with the results.
I have much too much to mention what I have with going Nikon besides my D200's but I will say I am happy to have gone with Nikon.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote