Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 8, 2011, 5:35 PM   #1

Default Zeikos ZE-SB1000 and D3100

I just purchased a Zeikos ZE-SB1000 flash for my D3100 and have a question. I can not get the AUTO ZOOM feature to work. I set it on auto and it STAYS AT 50mm .. Im using the 18-55 kit lens.. Also the flash says TTL and when I press halsway down on the shutter I get a BL in the window. what does this mean?

Thanks... Dave
djqwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:38 PM   #2

BL for iTTL Nikon flash is for outdoor shooting to balance the flash with the ambient light on the subject you are shooting. I am not sure about your brand of flash and it really doesn't matter if it is on using it indoors. With my SB 800 TTL BL is by default but I can just go with TTL if I choose to. Try to see if your contacts are properly seated and are clean. If the auto zoom does not work it may be a defective flash. Try going wide 18-55mm a couple of times back and forth to hear if the auto motor in your flash is working. Also, pullout the built in diffuser and see if you hear the flash motor engage. Flip it back.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:12 PM   #3

BL seems to always be on with this flash.. I dont see a way to turn that off ... The flash is actually the VIVITAR 383 flash but with a different name on it.. I did figure out that I have to have to flash straight and not angled for the auto zom to work and it works 100%

Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djqwik View Post
BL seems to always be on with this flash.. I dont see a way to turn that off ... The flash is actually the VIVITAR 383 flash but with a different name on it.. I did figure out that I have to have to flash straight and not angled for the auto zom to work and it works 100%

Thanks.
The 383 comes in many flavors and many have this zoom problem. Bring the flash aback to where you bought it.
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelw135 View Post
The 383 comes in many flavors and many have this zoom problem. Bring the flash aback to where you bought it.
ZOOM is working.. if I put it straight on, the zoom works.. put it on an angle at its on 50 or 55 . I forget..... Its supposed to do that and I didnt know zoom didnt work when you angle the flash.

I just dont understand what it says BL and you cant change that...
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:06 PM   #6

The flash will say BL as long as the camera body in in matrix meter mode so it can fill flash automatically. Switch the meter mode to spot and the BL should go out and will now meter to the spot reading and ignore ambient light.

Review the chapter on metering in your owner's manual.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote