Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:07 AM   #1

Default Auto iso??

What is the consensus with auto iso.
I must admit I have got a bit lazy since I've had my D5K and leave it on with the low speed of 1/15th and top iso of 3200 set. It does get me out of trouble in low light shots but what do you do? set your aperture and iso and if it doesnt work out change the iso??
I would be interested to hear RJSeenys view on this if he reads it, plus anyone else with a point of view..
Thanks
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:18 AM   #2

I have a D5000, and never use auto ISO. I use the fn button for ISO setting, and normally either use Aperture Priority and adjust the shutter speed by using the ISO control or use Shutter Priority and adjust the aperture with the ISO control as needed. If I'm using flash, I use manual mode and set shutter and aperture with the ISO set to 200 and let the TTL take care of getting the exposure right.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:01 AM   #3

I always try to shoot at Lo1 on my D90, so I don't use Auto ISO much because it's limited to ISO 200.
Graystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot View Post
What is the consensus with auto iso.
I must admit I have got a bit lazy since I've had my D5K and leave it on with the low speed of 1/15th and top iso of 3200 set. It does get me out of trouble in low light shots but what do you do? set your aperture and iso and if it doesnt work out change the iso??
I would be interested to hear RJSeenys view on this if he reads it, plus anyone else with a point of view..
Thanks
I have tried auto iso, but really hardly ever use it with my DSLR's. I do use it all the time on my Canon S90. I don't not like it, and it makes sense and I should probably use it more. For some reason I am slow to adopt it.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:52 AM   #5

I've used auto-ISO on occasion, particularly with long telephoto lenses. I put the camera in M (manual), set ISO, aperture and shutter speed then shoot away knowing that the aperture and shutter speed are static.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graystar View Post
I always try to shoot at Lo1 on my D90, so I don't use Auto ISO much because it's limited to ISO 200.
My undersanding was that the Lo and Hi settings were just shifts up or down from the last identified ISO. So, for example, Lo1 would just be an overexposed ISO 200 shifted to bring the exposure onto range. If that's true, there doesn't ever seem to be a reason to use the Hi or Lo settings instead of doing the same thing in PP if necessary. Am I mstaken in my understanding (very possible)?
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:50 PM   #7

80% of my shots are at iso800

The rest are either below or above.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:50 PM   #8

I use mine for a lot of stuff. When I'm shooting indoor equestrian events with the Nikon 85/1.8, I use AutoISO to set the minimum shutter speed at 1/200 and the maximum ISO at 1600.

When I shoot aircraft or BIF with the Tokina 100-300/4.0, I set the minimum shutter speed to 1/500.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 1:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
My undersanding was that the Lo and Hi settings were just shifts up or down from the last identified ISO. So, for example, Lo1 would just be an overexposed ISO 200 shifted to bring the exposure onto range. If that's true, there doesn't ever seem to be a reason to use the Hi or Lo settings instead of doing the same thing in PP if necessary. Am I mstaken in my understanding (very possible)?
Thatís the claim of DxOMark and others, and you do lose about one stop of dynamic range on the highlight side. But to me it seems like noise level are a touch better with Lo1 (DxOMark never tested the D90 at Lo1.) DxOMark demonstrated that the actual ISO level of ISO 200 and above is less that the stated ISO, with the rest of the exposure being made up with gain. My guess is that with the trade-off of one stop of DR, the camera is able to work at a true ISO 100, which would give a touch less noise compared to a gained ISO 200 with +1 EC (which would be ironic, but ISO scaling and the secret application of gain has always been a controversial subject in digital imaging.) Well anyways, that's my dime-store analysis.

I also don't want to have to correct exposure on every single image is post.
Graystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 6:40 PM   #10

I use auto-iso when my lighting is mixed in the city for street candids. Auto-iso P mode.
Most of the time I shoot in either Aperture or Manual. When shooting with flash I use iso 800 for faster recycle times with the flash and the flash can keep up with continuous bursts of three to four shots. In my case it really depends on what I am shooting and if I am using flash or not.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote