Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 23, 2011, 4:53 PM   #1

Default this battery cannot be used choose battery for use in this camera

Hello.. I have a Nikon D3100 and I bought off EBAY a battery that said it was EN-EL14 for the NIKON D3100. it came from china and it is an aftermarket. When I put the battery in, I get the message "this battery cannot be used choose battery for use in this camera" . is there any way to resolve this or is there no aftermarket batteries that will work?
dahauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2011, 5:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahauss View Post
Hello.. I have a Nikon D3100 and I bought off EBAY a battery that said it was EN-EL14 for the NIKON D3100. it came from china and it is an aftermarket. When I put the battery in, I get the message "this battery cannot be used choose battery for use in this camera" . is there any way to resolve this or is there no aftermarket batteries that will work?
There are aftermarket batteries that do work. However, you have no way of knowing until you try them. Some work great, some work ok, some don't work at all. All of them will void your warranty if they cause a problem. I've only used one 3rd party battery and that was bought from a Best Buy, and I didn't save a ton, but it did work (this was in a D50). I still don't understand spending tons of money on a camera and lens (around $600 for a basic kit that you have) and then trying to save $30 or $40 on an extra battery. Two batteries are all most folks need (I've never used the D3100)....with my D300 and D5k I rarely have to go to a second battery during a day of shooting.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 7:35 AM   #3

OK so a D3100 with 2 batteries (which I already have), would be enough to shoot a 5-6 hour event? I have used my other camera for shooting and it took rechargeable AA's instead of a battery pack and I knew about how long the batteries would last before needing to change. Now, with the new camera, Im trying to figure out what I might need...

-- Dave
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:21 AM   #4

D3100 with 2 batteries should be enough for a full day of shooting. Using the internal flash, using live view or excessive chimping (reviewing on the LCD) will shorten the battery life. Turning the camera off when there is no expectation of shooting will also help.

You should be using the optical viewfinder instead of live view anyway for a more stable posture just as you should be using an external flash instead of the internal one for more power and usable range.

I agree with RJ that skimping on a DSLR battery is a false economy.

Last edited by Bob Nichol; Mar 24, 2011 at 9:31 AM.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:33 AM   #5

See http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answ...119/kw/battery
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahauss View Post
OK so a D3100 with 2 batteries (which I already have), would be enough to shoot a 5-6 hour event? I have used my other camera for shooting and it took rechargeable AA's instead of a battery pack and I knew about how long the batteries would last before needing to change. Now, with the new camera, Im trying to figure out what I might need...

-- Dave
Unless your firing thousands of shots or using flash all the time, I would think two batteries would get you through a 5-6 hour event. That being said, if this is a paid gig, and you think you need 2 batteries, you better bring 3.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:43 AM   #7

Yes I will bring 3 batteries to the event.. I am using EXTERNAL FLASH and sometimes slave flash with internal...
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:11 AM   #8

For your own safety

dont charge a battery overnight

when you are in doubt about its quality
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 5:55 AM   #9

I have used Hahnel batteries as back ups for my D40 and my D5k also my Panasonic and to be honest I seem to get the same usage out of them.They were recommended to me by a camera dealer originally and I've no complaints, over here Nikon batteries just seem extortionate, probably the same all over.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 5:18 PM   #10

G'day all

As per DS above, here in Oz I have [sorry HAD] a choice of OEM or 3rd party batteries for my Panasonic

OEM = $137, 3rd party $45 ... performance identical [probably made in same factory in china too]

Latest Panny cameras now give same message as the OP above, so I can no longer use 3rd party and it annoys the hell out of me

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote