Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 3, 2011, 9:02 AM   #1

Default AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G

Does anyone know where to get a refurbished AF-S DX NIKKOR
35mm f/1.8G ? I am looking everywhere for this lens for my D3100. All over ebay they are going for more then NIKON sells a brand new one for.

Thanks .... Dave
djqwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2011, 9:55 AM   #2
Administrator

Not me (I don't see anyone I normally use that has one in stock).

That lens is in very short supply, as I see that all of the reputable dealers that I normally check are out of stock with no estimate as to when the backorders will be filled.

Some vendors were selling it for $199 brand new when supply was good. But, they're out of stock now. I do see quite a few of them on Ebay (in the higher $200s for gray market lenses). But, it looks like lenses that have a Nikon USA warranty are quite hard to find. Here's one example of a new one from an Authorized Nikon Dealer (at a higher price than you could find them for when more dealers had them):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-AF-S-35mm-...item35b10785dd
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:52 AM   #3

yeah, everyone has gone crazy with that lens. I was very fortunate to get mine around Christmas used/like new for $150 off Ebay. In my case she had listed it minutes before I searched and that was a BiN price. I got lucky and I'm really thankful now that I see what everyone is charging for them!

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:49 AM   #4

When I bought mine nearly a year ago, it was back-ordered on all the reputable sites. I requested notification from B&H when it came in and got it for the standard $200 price with full US warranty a few weeks later. If you don't need it right now, you might consider that approach.

[ETA: I just checked B&H and Adorama. They have both raised the price of this lens to about $300, so I guess that's what it's going to go for now (and they both are out of it anyway). Bummer!]

Last edited by tclune; Apr 4, 2011 at 12:54 PM.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 4:44 PM   #5

Locally, Best Buy just started carrying them (and the 50 1.8) as part of in-store inventory. On-line, it shows "ship to store" but as I was in the store saw them behind the locked glass where they keep the premium cameras, lens, and flash. That was true in several stores, some would have both, some one or the other.

The good news, they hadn't adjusted their prices and were $199. That combo was so tempting, but elected the Tamron 17-50 2.8 instead. You may want to check Best Buy, as that was only a week to 10 days ago.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
Locally, Best Buy just started carrying them (and the 50 1.8) as part of in-store inventory. On-line, it shows "ship to store" but as I was in the store saw them behind the locked glass where they keep the premium cameras, lens, and flash. That was true in several stores, some would have both, some one or the other.

The good news, they hadn't adjusted their prices and were $199. That combo was so tempting, but elected the Tamron 17-50 2.8 instead. You may want to check Best Buy, as that was only a week to 10 days ago.
Good to share this. I happen to have it already and the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 non motor version. Both perform very well.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 6:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIZnquest View Post
Good to share this. I happen to have it already and the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 non motor version. Both perform very well.
Thanks. I wasn't looking for them, but my jaw dropped when I saw them. I had some rewards cards I needed to redeem and looking at small stuff - like filters - when my eyes drifted to 'other stuff to drool over.'

I also got the non-VC version of the Tamron. Had to mailorder as only the VCversion available locally. Pleasantly surprised as the focusing motor is not as 'loud' as the reviews knock it. It is like they had to have something negative to say. It is really quite quiet, and just enough to remind you that it is doing it's job and you didn't leave it in manual focus. If they want 'loud' they need to go back to the film advance ratchet, or better yet, the motorized advance. This is whisper quiet by comparrison.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 1:38 PM   #8

I found this lens on Dell's website for $199. It is also back-orderd 6 weeks to ship. I don't really care as long as I get it for that price. When I was looking at it near Christmas, it was $240 on Amazon. Just this week, it shot up to $350 then $399 in a matter of a week. What is the main draw for this lense? Ability to shoot in low-light? Thanks.

Last edited by Annie94TT; Apr 5, 2011 at 2:49 PM.
Annie94TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 3:10 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie94TT View Post
I found this lens on Dell's website for $199. It is also back-orderd 6 weeks to ship.
Actually, their listings note "Usually Ships: 6+ Weeks"

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...15&lid=1003767

Note the plus sign (and I suspect that's just speculation on their part, as Dell used to drop ship items like that from distributors versus stocking them in house, so I doubt they'll have them before any other dealer will).

Also, AFAIK, Dell is not even a Nikon USA Authorized Dealer (meaning that you may not have a Nikon USA warranty with it).

I'd put more faith in getting one from BestBuy at that price sooner, as tizeye pointed out finding one at a local store. At least they're listed as an Authorized Nikon Dealer and stock a lot of gear themselves. Here's their listing for one (currently showing in store pickup only with 3-5 days delivery time estimated for stores in my area).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nikon+-+.../1.8&cp=1&lp=1

Shipping info and availability:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstempl...ode=searchmode
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote