Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:34 PM   #1

Default Field guide for the D90

I'm new to dslr and just got my first camera (D90). Now I need to begin learning. I've tried reading the manual and also have done some youtube lessons. I was thinking of getting the David Busch's D90 or the Dummies D90. Any thoughts?
Brett K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:59 PM   #2
Administrator

Hey Brett.

You posted this in our Nikon Forum in the Point and Shoot section.

We have a separate section further down on the main page for dSLR models. So, I'll move this thread to our Nikon dSLR Forum for you now.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 5:57 AM   #3

Hi Brett,
When my husband purchased his D90 he also purchased the Magic Lantern Guide - "Nikon D90 Multimedia Workshop". It is a small hard copy book and 2 DVDs (also a handy quick reference card to keep in your camera bag). I can recommend this for beginners. Amazon sells this product. Good luck and enjoy your D90.
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 7:23 AM   #4

Brett...

First, congratulations and a D90 as a "first" camera is really stepping up.

I would suggest that you check your local library. That type of book is something that gets used less and less as you gain experience. You will also see other books there on related photographic subjects that you may want to checkout when returning the first and subsequent books. Just do one book at a time though. I violated that rule checking out a book on weddings and another on portraits thinking they were related, however, in the 3 week checkout period really didn't do them justice.

Obviously, if the book (or any future one) is something that you think would benefit you over the longer term in your personal library, then buy it. At least you have had a free look to make that informed determination, ultimately conserving your cash and NOT collecting another doorstop.

Last edited by tizeye; Apr 6, 2011 at 7:29 AM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 6:29 PM   #5

Hi again Brett,
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I have been reading an excellent magazine from the newsagents called "Getting started in Digital SLR Photography". It is published in the UK (don't know where you are from). Written in simple language and covers all the aspects of understanding your camera and the reasons for choosing certain settings. Highly recommended reading and a great reference source.
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 10:38 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions
Brett K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:43 PM   #7

Default D90 colors

Hello all,

I own a D90 for some time know but i am still a newbie, when it comes to settings.
What i noticed is that the colors red and deep red get more of an orange or pink color when i se them on the monitor.
Now from another camera here as a Canon 590 is (pocket) or a Fuji HS-20 the colors are more true.
I do not like post processing at all, so if someone please can give me a direction maybe in some settings of WB etc to get the natural colors.
Like the vivid setting , that is more to capture toys or so, that is unnatural i think.
The most pics i take are off my kids in and outdoor, also some nature and travel pics.

Thanks a lot
Sprint

Last edited by sprint; Apr 22, 2011 at 11:55 PM.
sprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 10:23 PM   #8
Banned

oh this post is useful, thanks
tsd041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett K
I'm new to dslr and just got my first camera (D90). Now I need to begin learning. I've tried reading the manual and also have done some youtube lessons. I was thinking of getting the David Busch's D90 or the Dummies D90. Any thoughts?
I bought the book David Busch's Nikon D 90 after getting my D90. I already had a pretty good understanding of photography, but wanted to know some of the finer points about the D90.
I can tell you that this book is fantastic, it explains a lot about how the D90 systems all work, and how they work together. It contains a lot of "Why" information, like , why would you use one focusing system over the other. It covers so many topics in depth, that I would place it at the top of the list of best books for the D90 owner. It has detailed information on all menu settings, all on the fly settings. It leaves no Rock unturned. The book should come with the D90.

Joe
massimino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 1:38 PM   #10

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I used David Busch's guide to the D300 and found it extremely beneficial. While I did not use it for my D90, I imagine it would be just as useful. It is a nice balance between the features of the camera and how best to use it for great pictures.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote