Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 11, 2011, 1:33 PM   #1

Default Will this lens work with my D5000?

I'm looking into buying myself a macro lens. I currently have a Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro Zoom Lens with a built-in motor. It magnifies up to 1:2. The one I'm looking at is a Tamron AF 60mm f/2.0 SP DI II LD IF 1:1 Macro Lens. First off, this doesn't seem to mention a built-in motor, which I know the D5000 needs.

Secondly, is the increased magnification and lack of zooming capability even worth paying for another lens? I've read that single focal length (prime?) lenses produce sharper images. Is this true? Does anyone have any experience with this lens? My current Tamron takes beautiful pictures, but it focuses quite slowly at times. Or are there any alternative lenses anyone can suggest? I'm looking to spend a max of $500.
cinderhawkcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2011, 6:50 AM   #2

lenses without motors will still work, but you wont have autofocus, it will be manual focus only, some people only use manual focus when shooting macro so this might not be an issue to you, prime lenses are a lot less complicated so do give better quality pictures, which is very important when shooting macro, its all about the detail.
ive not used the tamron, but i guarantee it will shoot macro far better than your 70-300 myself i use the Sigma EX DG Macro f2.8 105mm which gives 1:1, it does have a motor and produces very sharp images, plus you wont have to get as close to your subject as with the 60mm which can be a bonus with insects and butterflys.
Dave
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 9:57 AM   #3

Actually, the Tamron 60 does have a motor. The "gotcha" generally with Tamron is that they retrofitted built-in motors into their entire Nikon line a year or two ago without changing the lens designation. So you can get old stock or used Tamron 60s with this exact designation that would not have a built-in motor if I am not mistaken. The only way to know is to ask the vendor or try the lens if it's local. The built-in motors in these lenses are not ultrasonic, so they are a bit slower and a tad noisier than Nikon or Sigma motors. Tamron now has ultrasonic motors that it puts in its most recent lenses. It identifies the ultrasonic lenses by the designation "USM" in the lens name. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:25 AM   #4

Unless you want a true 1:1 macro then the 60mm or 90mm Tamron should be fine. I believe all Tamron lenses have a built-in motor now. I have three that do not but use them on my D200's or D90's anyway so it really doesn't matter. You have the D5000 so again it should be ok. I would only get the 60mm if you really want macro shooting as a first preference. That is my preference and I find the Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro Zoom Lens to be a great performer and allows me some distance that I am more comfortable with when shooting insects and not worrying about my casting a shadow on the subject being so close.
Primes are sharper than most zoom lenses but steady hands and use of a monopod or tripod helps with sharpness as well. Remember to keep shutter speed and focal length about the same for best possible handheld images. I know some who are rock steady and can get really sharp shots with a slower shutter speed but that is not everyone's case. Macro with the Tamron you mentioned is at the 180mm to 300mm range. Get shutter speed from 1/180th to 1/300th of a sec for best chance of sharp handheld shots. Again you can achieve great shots at slower speeds but the keeper rate will most likely go down.

Due to some further needing to know about focal length and shutter speed I have found that using the 1.5x mulitplier would be in fact in effect for both. Thus if you are at say 50mm x 1.5 = 75mm then the shutter speed should be 1/75th of a sec not 1/50th for sharp handheld shots. Again some people can get sharp shots due to steadier hands and good breathing technique but not the case for all.

Last edited by vIZnquest; Apr 17, 2011 at 12:56 PM.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 4:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIZnquest View Post
Unless you want a true 1:1 macro then the 60mm or 90mm Tamron should be fine.
Both Tamron lenses are 1:1 macro lenses.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 1:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
Both Tamron lenses are 1:1 macro lenses.
Must have been the way I worded it. I am aware that they are both 1:1 macro. I was mentioning it as to say unless she really had to have it then the two I mentioned were the ones.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 5:43 PM   #7

Thanks for your help--But again, the reason I'm looking at a prime lens is because the Tamron has a hard time focusing quickly when I'm also adjusting the zoom every other shot. I want a true macro lens because the majority of my photography is macro stuff, and the 70-300 I have now just isn't cutting it. It's too bulky to be able to keep steady, and my hands shake more than normal anyway. I also looked at a Nikkor 1:1.4 35mm lens, as well as a 1:1.8 50mm. Anyone have an experience with either of those? Basically I'm looking for the lens that's going to get me the clearest macro shots for under $500 but that will also work with my d5000.
cinderhawkcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:51 PM   #8

The Tamron 90mm 2.8 will goes for $460 and then a $50 rebate by the end of this month. The Tamron 60mm 2.0 goes for $499 but with a $100 rebate. Personally I would prefer the faster lens of the two and the bokeh it can produce.