Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:28 PM   #11

I think I'm beginning to understand this a bit better. No grip is smart, not Nikon, nor Canon, nor third party. But neither are the batteries simply connected in parallel. The smart battery management takes place in the camera, using information (dumbly) sent by the grip via this third contact. So whether batteries are used in sequence or in parallel is a feature of the camera's firmware and nothing to do with the grip. Since both my third party grips and all my generic batteries have this third contact, I imagine my third party grips will function exactly as original Canon ones, and the same will apply to third part grips used on Nikons.

So the OP's problem comes down to how his D90 is interpreting information it is receiving on what may be a defective battery.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
I think I'm beginning to understand this a bit better. No grip is smart, not Nikon, nor Canon, nor third party. But neither are the batteries simply connected in parallel. The smart battery management takes place in the camera, using information (dumbly) sent by the grip via this third contact. So whether batteries are used in sequence or in parallel is a feature of the camera's firmware and nothing to do with the grip. Since both my third party grips and all my generic batteries have this third contact, I imagine my third party grips will function exactly as original Canon ones, and the same will apply to third part grips used on Nikons.

So the OP's problem comes down to how his D90 is interpreting information it is receiving on what may be a defective battery.
According to Nikon the switching is done in the grip by a circuit board, using info from the battery that it is intercepting the info on the way to the D90.
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:46 PM   #13

I've also just learned that in Nikons there is no connection "stalk" replacing the camera's internal battery when a grip is fitted. Much better and neater than the clumsy solution Canon have adopted.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:51 PM   #14

Quote:
I've also just learned that in Nikons there is no connection "stalk" replacing the camera's internal battery when a grip is fitted. Much better and neater than the clumsy solution Canon have adopted.
That is wrong! The MB-D80 has the stalk but a few others for Nikon don't. I prefer the stalk as it doesn't have to be removed when a battery in the camera needs charging. The Nikon grip with the stalk also has an adapter for 6 AA batteries if you prefer them over the proprietary batteries.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 3:24 PM   #15

Glad I found this...I have owned a D80 for a few years and got tired of cleaning the sensor so decided to go for the D90. I argued with the guy on the phone about buying a new battery..I already had 1 Nikon and 2 replacements....
So I get the D90 and on the second day decide to charge the Nikon batteries and place the replacement ones in the camera. Good to go. Get out and about to take pics and when I press the shutter it shows my battery is dead. ..which I know it is not. It WILL work sometimes..but you never know when it will let you take a picture...so the replacements are not working correctly in my camera (not a battery pack)...either..and I am not taking a chance on messing up the camera. Glad I read this because I was beginning to think I was going to have to send the camera back....
donor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 5:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by donor99 View Post
Glad I found this...I have owned a D80 for a few years and got tired of cleaning the sensor so decided to go for the D90. I argued with the guy on the phone about buying a new battery..I already had 1 Nikon and 2 replacements....
So I get the D90 and on the second day decide to charge the Nikon batteries and place the replacement ones in the camera. Good to go. Get out and about to take pics and when I press the shutter it shows my battery is dead. ..which I know it is not. It WILL work sometimes..but you never know when it will let you take a picture...so the replacements are not working correctly in my camera (not a battery pack)...either..and I am not taking a chance on messing up the camera. Glad I read this because I was beginning to think I was going to have to send the camera back....
My Zeikos work great in the camera but not in the MB-D80 grip which now has two Nikon batteries. So if it doersn't work now I know it is the grip.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:22 PM   #17

I have two Canon DSLRs and each has a "cheap" third-party battery grip. I've used both grips with proprietary Canon batteries, with third party copies of those batteries, and with Eneloop AAs. Everything works properly. I do have an OE battery for a Casio camera that works intermittently as described above, but other batteries (both Casio originals and copies) work properly in that camera - it's the battery, not the camera. It looks perfect but evidently it isn't.

Just a thought. I believe it's vitally important to keep all battery terminals clean and grease-free. That includes every connection between battery and camera, including battery-grip and grip-camera. I make a point of never touching any of these terminals, and keeping the supplied plastic caps over the ends of the stalks when the grips aren't in use. I have seen many people with terrible hygiene habits using high-tech equipment of all sorts, and then people wonder why it doesn't work properly. I'm not saying this is the case here of course, but still.....

Last edited by peterbj7; Apr 29, 2011 at 7:26 PM.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:03 PM   #18

Quote:
I have two Canon DSLRs and each has a "cheap" third-party battery grip. I've used both grips with proprietary Canon batteries, with third party copies of those batteries, and with Eneloop AAs. Everything works properly. I do have an OE battery for a Casio camera that works intermittently as described above, but other batteries (both Casio originals and copies) work properly in that camera - it's the battery, not the camera. It looks perfect but evidently it isn't.

Just a thought. I believe it's vitally important to keep all battery terminals clean and grease-free. That includes every connection between battery and camera, including battery-grip and grip-camera. I make a point of never touching any of these terminals, and keeping the supplied plastic caps over the ends of the stalks when the grips aren't in use. I have seen many people with terrible hygiene habits using high-tech equipment of all sorts, and then people wonder why it doesn't work properly. I'm not saying this is the case here of course, but still.....
If I am correct and I think I am the Canon battery system especially in a grip is fed in parallel so it wouldn't have the problem. The MB-D80 feeds one battery at a time and has a circuit that senses the low battery and switches. I am not saying that it isn't the battery, but that it could be the grip or maybe even both. In my case I will know as soon as the battery runs low.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 12:50 AM   #19

Yes, I was trying to find out about this a few weeks ago and failed to learn much. I don't know how to read on the performance on individual batteries with my setups and they're both Canon, so maybe I'm looking for something that simply isn't there. I do like the idea of batteries being used sequentially rather than in parallel, though if it leads to this sort of problem (I've recently read of other people having the same problem when using Nikons, grips and non-Nikon batteries) I'm not sure it's worth it.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 8:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Yes, I was trying to find out about this a few weeks ago and failed to learn much. I don't know how to read on the performance on individual batteries with my setups and they're both Canon, so maybe I'm looking for something that simply isn't there. I do like the idea of batteries being used sequentially rather than in parallel, though if it leads to this sort of problem (I've recently read of other people having the same problem when using Nikons, grips and non-Nikon batteries) I'm not sure it's worth it.
I will know more when my battery dies if the grip will switch. If not I will still have the benefit of the much more comfortable grip and the spare battery. The plus is in an emergency I can use the AA batteries or my spare EN-EL3e batteries.