Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 21, 2011, 2:53 AM   #1

Default Just got the Nikon D3100 .. One 'issue' to report and some n00b questions ..

Hi all .. Well I just got my Nikon D3100 two days ago and I just got time to try it out ... I'm very excited to see what awesome photos I can take with it ..

Anyways, there's this one thing which I'm not sure whether its normal behavior or not ... The D3100 makes these 'mechanical' sounds when I take a picture, or when auto focus is being done, or when you turn the camera off .. These sounds are made .. The sound produced loudest is when a picture is taken, and that kind of like a 'zapping' sound .. the other sounds are like grinding or something ... Is these sounds 'normal' .. ? This is the first time I'm using an SLR so I won't know if this is normal or not :P

Also note that these sounds are only produced when I do something, like take a picture, turn on/off, switch live view display on/off, etc .. The sounds sound like something is mechanically moving inside the camera, but in a non-damaged way .. That is the sounds are not 'noise' .. They are sounds which are probably 'meant' to be there, but since I'm coming from P&S cameras, I wont really know since P&S cameras dont make any sound as such ..

If needed, I can probably make a recording of the audio or something and post it here ...

Secondly, I'm looking to accessorize my D3100 and was wondering if somebody can recommend me a good cleaning kit for it, which includes the Lens Pen, the air puffer, and the other stuff ..

I would also like to know if there's any strap which connects the lens cap to the main body so that the cap just hangs about or something when I take it off, so that I don't have to be worried about it getting lost ..

Any other general recommendations, tips and comments would be really appreciated too ..
ahmadka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2011, 3:17 AM   #2

you have some noise from the motors when focus. also you will have noise form the VR motors when you have the shutter button pressed half way. These are normal. The noise when you take the photo is the mirror and shutter moving, again pretty normal. DSLR have mechanical parts, so all is as expected. With liveview you will hear the motors move also, and may hunt a bit more then when using the ovf. DSLR live view is not as advance as point and shoot liveview. It is actually slower most of the time.

Something with a giottos rocket blower, a lens pen, and a micro fiber clean cloth, and when need some cleaning solution is pretty much all you need in a clean kit.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 7:59 PM   #3

Default nikon 3100

I'm looking to pick one of these 3100's up soon. If you don't mind me asking where did you get yours and what lens? Thanks!
ridetoslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2011, 8:56 PM   #4

[QUOTE=ahmadka;1220159I would also like to know if there's any strap which connects the lens cap to the main body so that the cap just hangs about or something when I take it off, so that I don't have to be worried about it getting lost[/QUOTE]

I understand what you mean, but I would absolutely HATE this! If it were perhaps on elastic so it did at least come to rest against the body somewhere that would be better, but even so.....

As to cleaning, depending on how dirty the air is where you live you shouldn't need to clean it much. You need a good quality lens cleaning liquid (get one marketed by a lens manufacturer rather than a no-name product) together with tissues and (I recommend) one or two old and well worn cotton handkerchiefs (NOT linen or synthetic). I clean the surface of the lens with the liquid, very carefully remove the liquid with the tissue (beware, it is very easy to scratch the surface of the lens), then polish and buff up with a handkerchief. Everything you do must be really gentle.

If you're not used to an SLR you need to be very careful not to allow crud into the camera body when the lens is off. I learned the hard way just how easy it is to get the sensor dirty, and now I am extremely careful, especially if I have to change a lens outdoors.

And be careful never to touch any glass or metal surface on a lens with your fingers. Touching the metal contacts can cause intermittent connections.

If you need to clean the sensor do NOT touch it with anything not specifically made for that purpose. The best products that most of us use are made by Photographic Solutions http://www.photosol.com/store/pc/home.asp .
Old Apr 21, 2011, 9:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Something with a giottos rocket blower, a lens pen, and a micro fiber clean cloth, and when need some cleaning solution is pretty much all you need in a clean kit.
Can you recommend me something ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridetoslide View Post
I'm looking to pick one of these 3100's up soon. If you don't mind me asking where did you get yours and what lens? Thanks!
I got it for $599.99 from Amazon (Camera + 18-55 mm lens kit) .. Note that this price isn't the best because in March Amazon sold the camera + 18-55mm + 55-200 lens for $650, which is awesome .. ! But after what happened in Japan, I heard Nikon closed its factories and now at many places the camera is out of stock, and whoever is selling it is selling for close to $700 ... so considering all this $599.99 isn't bad I think ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
I understand what you mean, but I would absolutely HATE this! If it were perhaps on elastic so it did at least come to rest against the body somewhere that would be better, but even so.....

As to cleaning, depending on how dirty the air is where you live you shouldn't need to clean it much. You need a good quality lens cleaning liquid (get one marketed by a lens manufacturer rather than a no-name product) together with tissues and (I recommend) one or two old and well worn cotton handkerchiefs (NOT linen or synthetic). I clean the surface of the lens with the liquid, very carefully remove the liquid with the tissue (beware, it is very easy to scratch the surface of the lens), then polish and buff up with a handkerchief. Everything you do must be really gentle.

If you're not used to an SLR you need to be very careful not to allow crud into the camera body when the lens is off. I learned the hard way just how easy it is to get the sensor dirty, and now I am extremely careful, especially if I have to change a lens outdoors.

And be careful never to touch any glass or metal surface on a lens with your fingers. Touching the metal contacts can cause intermittent connections.

If you need to clean the sensor do NOT touch it with anything not specifically made for that purpose. The best products that most of us use are made by Photographic Solutions http://www.photosol.com/store/pc/home.asp .
What would be a good solution for the lens cap then ? How can I ensure that I don't loose it ?

Also, I only want to do cleaning when its absolutely necessary .. I'm very new to SLRs and so know nothing about them .. So keeping this in mind, which cleaning kit would you recommend for a complete SLR n00b ? I would like to use a kit which is n00b friendly ..
ahmadka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:34 AM   #6

You may try narrowing down the problem to either the lens or the D3100 body itself.

If you some other lenses than the kit lens, see if the noise is still around.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:06 AM   #7

giottos makes the rocket blower, it is the nicer one out there.

Nikon and LensPens both market a lens pen, they are the same

Microfiber cleaning cloth there is allot out there.

Here is a kit with pretty much everything
http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-Rocket.../dp/B0013KKI94
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:27 AM   #8

Unless I can't read, that Giotto's kit doesn't include any cleaning solution...? For lens cleaning you need some suitable solution, which is where I suggested getting some with a lens manufacturer's name on it. I'm sure the camera manufacturers don't actually make it, but it means they've tested it and sanction it. Whether it's labelled Nikon, Canon, Olympus or any other brand really doesn't matter, but do note that this solution is ONLY for cleaning the glass of lenses. You'll find you'll need to clean the lens (the part that's exposed) quite often, depending on the state of your atmosphere - here for example I have to clean my lens every outing. By "my lens" I'm referring to the glass at the end, the "objective". The other end should rarely if ever require cleaning because it's protected by the camera when the lens is mounted, and by the lens end cap when it's not (ALWAYS put the cap on immediately the lens is removed from the camera).

If you have two lenses you'll be swapping them from time to time. Remember that you REALLY don't want wind-blown dirt getting into the camera, so try only to remove a lens in calm and clean conditions, preferably indoors. Keep the time that a lens back surface or the body of the camera is exposed to the elements as short as possible.

Nonetheless, over time you will get some dirt on the sensor of the camera. The sensor is the part inside at the back which goes where the film would have gone. But unlike film, which is replaced by a fresh clean piece every time you take a picture, the sensor just sits there and can accumulate dirt. Most current cameras have vibration mechanisms to try to shake dirt off, but they don't always work. You'll know you have dirt on the sensor when you see marks on pictures in the same place on different images. When that occurs you need to clean the sensor. BE CAREFUL! It is very delicate and easily damaged. Try the Giotto Rocket Blower first to see if you can blow the dirt off (follow the instructions carefully). If that doesn't work, and for me in this damp climate it rarely works, then you need to wet-clean the sensor. This is where you need the Sensor Swabs I mentioned before, together with the liquid that comes with them. DO NOT use lens cleaning fluid or any other cleaner, and DO NOT use a cotton bud or tissue. Buy the kit for your camera (make sure the swabs are the right size) and follow the instructions carefully. If you do that it's a perfectly safe exercise, though the first time you'll feel very nervous.

Your question about how to avoid losing the lens cap? Put it in your pocket. That's what I've been doing for many years now and I've only ever once lost a lens cap - and that one I found again.

Last edited by peterbj7; Apr 22, 2011 at 10:29 AM.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote