Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 23, 2011, 6:43 AM   #1

Default D90 red colors

Hello,
can someone help me ( newbie) with the ( ideal) settings for a D90, because i can't find the right setting to produce the accurate color specialy red and violet are to light , the rest of the colors are ok to me.
The monitor is also fine, because the HS20 and the Canon 590IS give normal colors.
I tried to alter the white balance, work in the "landscape" setting, no go.
I only shoot jpeg and rather stay out of post processing.

Thanks already

Sprint
Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:51 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Hello Sprint,

I've found this guide to be useful. http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90/users-guide/

A quick alternative is to press the two buttons with the green dots and hold in order to reset the D90 to its default settings. It would help if you can post some examples of images to understand your issue.

Jehan
Wingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:41 PM   #3

Read this by Thom Hogan about the D90... http://bythom.com/nikond90review.htm
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2011, 4:21 PM   #4

Thanks guys !

I have to read the piece from Ken Rockwell again, i am almost there, now the yellow is pulled a little towards orange, but i will search some more.

I will try to post some test pictures later on.

Thanks again

Sprint
Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:03 PM   #5

It seems strange that you need to make adjustments to get a normal color balanced image on the D90. Mine is set at default and produces perfectly balanced images. Check you white balance settings to make sure it is not set on "flash", "cloudy", or "shade" which results in a yellow/orange tint. Set it on auto and see what kind of images you get. Here is an example from my D90. Aperture priority; Auto ISO.

Jehan

Old Apr 24, 2011, 9:57 AM   #6

Hello,
It is strange, but difficult to compare if we do not have the same reference to look at, i mean that we do not know how one color looks "live" here or there. it is not that we take a picture of a "ral" color or calibrated chart.
Your picture Jelpee looks simply great, perfect to me. i have a slight feeling that my (only) lens the 18-200 vr is getting to loose and does not always focus right, but has nothing to do wiith the colors i understand.

Here is one picture taken at full sunshine no post processing, program standard, all on "0" except sharpening +5 and ADL on auto, WB on auto.

as you maybe see, the Cola football is to light red the rest is perfect as you would see live
Attached Images

Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:54 AM   #7

Hello again,

To compare here i took a picture af the same subject with another camera, my HS-20, this one was on EXR-resolution priority, sharpness hard further all at 0.
With this pic the colors and shadows and brightnes are just the way as real time.
comments are welcome ofcourse

( ps i just saw after posting the 2 pics, that they are of very poor quality when they get posted here on the forum, before they where quit ok why ??)

regards
Sprint
Attached Images

Last edited by sprint; Apr 24, 2011 at 10:57 AM.
sprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:57 AM   #8

The best indicator of color for me is to check the whites. TOo bad there are no clouds in the sky. However the color of the blue looks normal to me. I do not see either a red tint nor a blue tint. To me this image looks color balanced.

The overall image looks a bit flat however and could use some boosting of contrast. Also, the image looks a bit soft...could be the lens, aperture, camera shake or some combination of all them.

Jehan

Last edited by Wingman; Apr 24, 2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 2:23 PM   #9

Hello
@ jelpee, yes correct, i checked the pictures on another pc with a different TFT ( HP) and the colors were slightly better , les smudged red in some flowers. And the pictures looked much sharper than on the forum here.
But i have to say i uploaded them with View NX2 to my mail and save them there to upload them to the forum...

Here is a link from some shots made today at the Royal green houses.
i forgot my reading glasses....so i could not check very much there.
And so a little post processing was needed.
There are 2 folders one D90 and the other HS-20 mostly the same subjects.

https://picasaweb.google.com/101900872272332164164

Regards

Sprint