Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 25, 2011, 9:54 AM   #1

Default Got a D5000 what can I expect?

Hi all,

I've just purchased a Nikon D5000 with 18-55VR kit lens. I currently own a Fuji S3 Pro and Nikon D300. I bought the D5000 for three reasons. 1. It was supposed to be for my son to get into photography.
2. Looks like my D300 might have run it's last legs. None of my current lenses are currently working as auto focus these include:
Sigma 15-30mm
Nikon 24-120 VR
Nikon 50mm 1.8
Tamron 70-300mm DI Macro
Tamron 28-200mm

Third reason is finances, I can't really afford to get another D300 or D300s should Nikon deem it beyond repair or, the repair is going to be so expensive I can't afford to have it fixed.

I paid only 280 for the D5000, 18-55VR with just over 2k clicks. Having read the review on the D5000 it seems you get a lot of camera. I'm not interested in the video mode just the photography side of things.

I've tried looking at peoples photographs on Flickr, Pbase but to be honest I haven't really been impressed by the images there. It could be that a lot of people are just 'snap shot' photographers. I was hoping to some some really good landscapes/portratis but so far I've not been that impressed. It's nothing against the people posting the images so please don't think I'm being disrespectful. If anyone has any links to some quality D5000 images I would love to see them.

I'm also thinking as the camera doesn't have an internal motor of getting the 16-85 VR as this lens would cover 90% of my photography needs. I would end up selling the Sigma 15-30mm (doesn't autofocus), Nikon 24-120VR and keeping the 50mm 1.8 and Tamron 70-300 DI Macro. I've read really good reports about the 16-85VR and I'm hoping it'll be a good choice to work alongside the D5000.

So any information about the D5k, along with some good quality images would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Howie
howiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2011, 5:45 PM   #2

The D5000 kit lens is not that great IMO. It's OK but I find more noise in my shots with it vs. some other lenses where instead of noise I find bokeh. Put good glass on it and you'll get much higher returns. It can get pretty darn sharp with good glass.

Here's an example of sharpness that is possible with the cheapest prime that Nikon makes I think - 35mm 1.8. Original pic followed by a 100% crop:

Roxie closeup by thedigme, on Flickr

100% Crop by thedigme, on Flickr

Sharpness isn't everything but if you want to see some more of my Flickr set you're welcome to look:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
All pics are with D5000.

But they probably just fall into the category of more mediocre pics!

I'm not a landscape photographer and that is one of my biggest weak points so don't take my few landscapes as this camera's highest potential but I hope this helps answer your questions in some way.

brad

Last edited by DigMe; Apr 25, 2011 at 5:54 PM.
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 4:02 AM   #3

Thanks Brad for taking the time to post the images and getting back to me about this camera

Howie
Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:26 PM   #4

In order to autofocus on the D5000, the lens must have AF-S (Nikon) USM (Tamron) and HSM (Sigma) in the description of the lens. I am guessing the Tamron 70-300 is the older version as they recently release a 70-300 that is USM. Likwise, the Nikon 50 1.8 is manual focus as they just released the autofocus version today.

At a bit of a quandry of what to suggest. Lens upgrade, or body upgrade to the D90 (or higher). May want to think about selling existing glass and upgrading, as the D5000 is a decent camera. Or, simply manual focus. It took me a while to realize this as was missing the split focusing aid that I was use to with film cameras and was simply looking at the viewfinder glass for focus. Then learned, there are green lights that glow in the lower section of the viewfinder when in focus.

With the overlap you have, could probably get down to 2 lens plus retain the 50 1.8. On the short end, if not keeping the 18-55, then yes the Nikon 16-85, or economize a little with Sigma's 17-70 as all of them are variable aperature. On the long end, flip Tamron's 70-300 to the new version, or consider Nikon's 70-300. Not only will you gain auto-focus, but also VR (Tamron VC, Sigma OS) that is not on your current lens. Be aware that Sigma has 3 versions of the 17-70, the oldest model without autofocus, a new version with HSM, and a recently released HSM OS version.

Last edited by tizeye; Apr 27, 2011 at 7:31 PM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 4:57 AM   #5

Thanks Tizeye for the advice on lens selections. I really need to cut down on my gear as I have so many 'mediocre' lenses I really need to economise my gear. I just tested my Tamron 70-300 lens and it works on autofocus so it must be one of the newer models. For what I use this lens for it's probably good enough for my means and I'll probably keep it. I'm definately aiming to move to a 16-85 as a walkabout lens, keep the Tamron 70-300 along with Nikon 50mm 1.8. I'm hoping to get the 35mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8 at some point as I can see me having uses for both of those lenses and primes are always great lenses to have

Howie

Last edited by howiem; Apr 28, 2011 at 5:06 AM.