Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 6, 2011, 12:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by xev11 View Post
Hi all, I am new to dslr photography.
I have the D90 and my only lens is a Sigma 50-200.

I am looking to get a single lens that I can really learn how to use the camera. And I will be going to Scotland soon so I want something wide to handle the landscape shots, but also be able to zoom in.
I was thinking Nikon 18-200. I was also recommended the 35, but it's sold out everywhere for now.
I have read that the 35 1.8 is for cropped sensor cameras, would it still work well on the D90?

Advice please.
Thanks

sell the 50-200 and get the 18-200 vr11, that together with the 35 and the D90 works great together. many have dissed the 18-200 i can can't imagin why, but i am sure they never owned one, i bought 2 since i came over to nikon and both are great, sharp and versatile.

Dave
T&T
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2011, 5:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
I use a Tamron 18-270 VC II lenson my D90 as my travel option...light weight, versatile and good image quality. Oh...and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg either!

Jehan
I have that lens and frankly I don't care for the barrel distortion at 18mm versus the 18-55mm. It is a matter of what pleases you. The Tamron you mention costs way more than the 18-55. He already has the Sigma 50-200mm.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 4:04 PM   #13

The 18-55 is almost impossible to beat for the price. There is no reason not to own it, even if you own better lenses. It's cheap and lightweight and probably the best bang for the buck out there. Since it's almost free when purchased with the camera, it's silly not to buy the kit when purchasing the consumer bodies.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 6:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafiryde View Post
sell the 50-200 and get the 18-200 vr11, that together with the 35 and the D90 works great together. many have dissed the 18-200 i can can't imagin why, but i am sure they never owned one, i bought 2 since i came over to nikon and both are great, sharp and versatile.

Dave
T&T
Wow! 2? I have one and use it very little these days. Again the price is objectionable to me in comparison to what could be had for much less and better image quality can be had. I much don't care for the barrel distortion that the mega zooms offer. For casual street shooting it's fine. For stuff that really matters to me I don't take it with me.
I have the 35 1.8mm and am glad I got it when I did. Awesome lens but still costs more that the 18-55mm which is actually a very good lens.
Old May 13, 2011, 12:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIZnquest View Post
Wow! 2? I have one and use it very little these days. Again the price is objectionable to me in comparison to what could be had for much less and better image quality can be had. I much don't care for the barrel distortion that the mega zooms offer. For casual street shooting it's fine. For stuff that really matters to me I don't take it with me.
I have the 35 1.8mm and am glad I got it when I did. Awesome lens but still costs more that the 18-55mm which is actually a very good lens.

I got one with my D90 which my daughter has now, when i got the D300s i got it with the 17-55 and 70-300.
yes i totall agree that the 18-200 is no match for 17-55/70-300 combo, but when i want light and would not have time to switch lenses this is why i got another one and out of both of them , i must say i must have gotten excellent copies, as the quality and sharpness is fantastic, one really has to know the 18-200 limits and once used at that will get great photos.

Dave
T&T

Last edited by dafiryde; May 13, 2011 at 4:18 PM.
Old May 21, 2011, 6:32 PM   #16

I am aware of its limits as it was my first Nikon lens and I used it quite extensively at first. As a carry around do all lens, it's fine. I still don't care for it at 18mm versus the kit lens at 18mm. Worth it to me to carry two lenses if I am going to travel. Travel is not as frequent for me so I want to make my images I capture to be the best with what I have to choose from.
Old May 22, 2011, 10:04 PM   #17

For what the original post asked
I am looking to get a single lens that I can really learn how to use the camera

the 18-200 is the best bet

Dave
T&T