Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 14, 2011, 2:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post

What ViewNX does provide is:
  • Automatic Axial Chromatic Aberration correction
Are you sure about this? I use Capture NX2, and it doesn't have auto LoCA correction. It does have a slider that I can use to assist in LoCA removal, but unlike lateral CA, it isn't automatic. I'm not familiar with any auto LoCA removal software, but I may simply never have encountered it.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 6:17 PM   #12

Quote:
I said "many", not "all".
You said many of the features I mentioned. Of the ones I mentioned, there was only one feature that ViewNX provides. I mentioned Active D-Lighting, which isn't the same as D-Lighting, and ViewNX doesn't have lots of retouch options...it's got a very basic set. The D90 has a Fisheye function and Filter Effects, an Image Overlay function, and a Side by Side Comparison function that aren't available in ViewNX.

Quote:
and you get to use your computer monitor to judge the results, instead of a 3 inch LCD.
So you're going to carry your computer around with you and hold it while you're taking pictures?

Your position is untenable. I'm simply at a complete loss as to understand your incessant need to marginalize the information I provided.
Graystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 5:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
Are you sure about this? I use Capture NX2, and it doesn't have auto LoCA correction. ...
This is a screen capture of Nikon's ViewNX 2:
Attached Images

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 5:30 AM   #14

There are certain things that are better left to post-processing, like, for instance, filter effects, image overlays, comparisons, etc., and for multiple reasons, not the least of which is being able to use your computer screen to review and fine tune the results. If you want to do all of that on a 3 inch LCD monitor, be my guest.

But as to the OP's current dilemma, the D7000 is a better choice than the D90 under any set of circumstances.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 8:42 AM   #15

Quote:
There are certain things that are better left to post-processing, like, for instance, filter effects, image overlays, comparisons, etc., and for multiple reasons, not the least of which is being able to use your computer screen to review and fine tune the results.
I would agree, but for regular ol' image review, the 920,000 pixel LCD of the D90 is significantly better than the 230,000 pixel LCD of the D80.
Graystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 9:48 AM   #16

Every new model that is introduced is going to have new features. Only you, the buyer, can decide if those features are "must have" or things that would just be nice to have. Regardless of your decision, in my opinion no matter what camera you decide to purchase to replace what you have now will not produce "dramatically" better results. Yes, the sensor might be a little better, and the dynamic range might be improved, etc.. But the real quality of the image produced depends on your skill as a photographer. A new camera will not automatically promote you to a professional-quality photographer.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:34 AM   #17

Yeah. That.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 6:19 PM   #18

As was noted earlier, for video the D7000. Absolutely agree.

I went from a D40 to a D90, and on still photography it is great. I want to expand and offer video for real estate at a high end level - stabilizers, rails etc and blending clipd on a storyline. The D90, while it was the first DSLR to offer video, its process is elemenatary. Essentially, there is no user control as it ignores aperature settings and shoots in "auto" mode. Abrupt aperature changes in pans, and even bouncing settings when on a tripod and a straight interview. Getting a lot of practice, improving technique, but results something I could not market.

The D7000 resolves that and is the preferred Nikon offering, along with Canon's 7d and full frame 5d. Considering upgrading the D90 (actually, sell the D40 and the D90 becomes backup) to the D7000. Due to Japans earthquake/production issues, body only version of the D7000 is out of stock everywhere. As a result, can defer and possibly the D400??? when it is introduced. That's the issue, there is always something around the corner. Get the best now to service your needs.

In the meantime, keep perfecting my video skill on the D90.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:58 PM   #19
Dig

Thanks everyone for your input. I have been poking around the Internet and it seems that Nikon is going to announce new products this august, so I have waited this long I will wait to c what's to come.

In the meantime I guess I will buy a new lens. I have been looking at the Nikon 105mm f/2.8G. Read reviews mostly all positive so I am going to give it a look.

I did want to say one thing regarding the comment that I have read too many times that says, it doesn't matter what camera it matters who is the photographer. This does ware on me a little. If you follow the logic it just doesn't hold up.

If I were to follow this logic I can stay with my old Canon F1 and never have to upgrade to anything. Equipment does make a difference but the difference is more dramatic the more experience the user has.

A great photographer can do great things with a great camera. A poor camera makes everybody less, maybe a great photographer can get more out of a poor camera but the camera will still have an effect on his/hers works.

Now the question really becomes, what makes a great photographer?

I am not sure if we have the likes of Edward Weston, Diane Arbus, Imogen Cunningham, W. Eugene Smith, Henri Cartier-Bresson and so many more. Did any of these great photographers have equipment like the d90, D7000 or any of the fine cameras today? No!

Yet they took pictures that were so rich, content so great, that I think many photographers could learn a lot (me way included) from the way these photographers did their work.

I never tire of looking at their photographs, how they laid out the content, the depth and range of their gray scales, and so much more. No software, no auto anything, no self cleaning sensors, just the photographer and some simple mechanical devices called cameras.

Anyway thank you all for your help, for this forum and for your willingness to share.

God Bless.
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote