Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 14, 2011, 6:38 AM   #1
Dig

Default Is D90 still worth it

I have a D80 and want to purchase another body. The D90 is on sale in a few places but it is an older model. I know Nikon has many newer models but they all have their ups and downs.

Should I consider the D90 as a purchase or should I look at another model. I do some pro work but also a lot of my own macro and non-macro photog.

The D90 body only is now $799 and I can then sell my D80 body.

Any thoughts.

Thanks
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:14 AM   #2

I think that, at $799, it's a bargain.

I also think that it's only an incremental upgrade from your D80.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:18 AM   #3
Dig

So what does that mean as an answer for the question? If it is only an incremental difference maybe there is a better choice.

I can get a D7000 body for about $900-$1000. Would that be a better choice?

I do use the camera outdoors a lot, winter, spring, rain, snow, etc. Will the D7000 hold up?

This is what I am asking.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:59 AM   #4

What I mean is that going from a D80 to a D90 doesn't buy you much. Going from a D80 to a D7000 is a much more significant step up.

So spending $800 on a D90 and getting what you can for your D80 doesn't make a lot of financial sense. On the other hand, I don't think it's very likely that you'll find a new D7000 "for about $900-$1000".

I think the best strategy is to sit tight until you can get the D7000. And if you can get the D7000 for a good price, jump on it.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:28 AM   #5

There are significant differences between the D80 and the D90. First, is the difference in DxOMark score between the two...it’s huge. The dynamic range of the D90 represents a very significant increase when comparing two sensors of the same size.

Beyond the sensor are a myriad of improvements. The D90 has...
Sensor cleaning system
Faster FPS
Automatic chromatic aberration correction
Much better rear LCD
LiveView and video capture
More power built-in flash (important for using built-in Commander)

For JPEG shooters there’s...
Active Dynamic Lighting
Distortion control available after capture
More retouch options

The D90 rear LCD has an “Info Display” function that does two things. First it displays a more complete set of currently set options than the top LCD, providing an active light meter and other information. Second, by pressing the “Info” button a second time you have quick access to several controls and button configurations.

The Ok button has been moved to the middle of the 4-way controller, which not only makes selecting menu options faster but also assist in selecting different focus point, as the ok button is used to return the focus point to center.

So I’d say the D90, while still evolutionary instead of revolutionary, still represents a significant jump from the D80 and is definitely worth 800 bucks. The D7000 is, of course, a bigger jump...but it’s also a lot more money I haven't seen a D7000 for 1000 bucks.
Graystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:43 AM   #6

Dig - why do you want to replace your D80? Is there a feature you need that you don't have? Then it's simply a matter of identifying the camera(s) with the features you need.
If it's just because it's "old" and you want a new toy there's nothing wrong with that. But, if that's the case, I submit that after a year with the d90, you're going to be itching for a new toy - especially after the next round of nikon DSLRs come out.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:19 PM   #7
Dig

Great stuff. Now I am getting some great info. It's not that I need a new toy because if it was I would have bought something a long time ago as I have had the D80 for probably 3 or 4 years can't exactly remember.

The live view is a feature I really like as I take many pictures above my view but I am still able to see the LCD. Video capture is also interesting to me. Although I shoot 99% of my video with a video camera there have been times when having that feature would have been very helpful.

Some of the othe features are also interesting and certainly can be helpful at times.

The D80 was a good camera but for me it had a number of short comings.

As far as the D7000 for 900-1000 dollars, it can be had if you have a friend that has one and is willing to sell it to you for that price .

To comment on toys again, I had a Canon F-1 for about 25 years before I moved to digital and believe me I miss that old camera so I don't turn things very often if I find something I like.

In the digital world things change so often because it is easy to create a new sensor, or tweak the in camera software and get a new product. But I am just not very happy with the 80 and yet I have kept it for the last 4 years.

Well, although I am still not 100% sure what I am going to do, your info is definately helping me to make a decision. Right this second I am leaning toward the D90 as the price is good but the D7000 might be a better move overall.

We will see. Thanks again for all you help and I welcome any other comments that you might have.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:09 PM   #8

Many of the D90's features that Graystar mentioned are available with the D80 via Nikon's free ViewNX software.

I've used 'Live View' twice with my D90. Once was when taking some photos for an eBay auction item, which was useful. The other was when trying to frame a star trails shot, where it was not useful. Even with the excellent LCD monitor, it didn't have enough resolution to display individual stars.

I've also used the D90 to record a movie, which was mostly a waste of time. If you really want to use a dSLR to record videos, I think that's an even bigger reason for you to go with the D7000 instead.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Many of the D90's features that Graystar mentioned are available with the D80 via Nikon's free ViewNX software.
"Many"?? That makes no sense at all. Please explain how ViewNX provides...
Greater dynamic range
Sensor cleaning system
Faster FPS
Much better rear LCD
LiveView and video capture
More power built-in flash (important for using built-in Commander)
Active Dynamic Lighting

The only functions ViewNX2 provides is chromatic aberration correction. You don’t get distortion correction unless the camera applies it to JPEGs automatically. Otherwise, ViewNX has very few editing options. Very few of the features I mentioned are available through ViewNX.
Graystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 3:41 PM   #10

I said "many", not "all".

What ViewNX does provide is:
  • Automatic Lateral Chromatic Aberration correction
  • Automatic Axial Chromatic Aberration correction
    • Both of which I use to suppliment whatever correction my D90 may or may not do
  • (Dynamic) D-Lighting
  • and, of course, lots of re-touch options
    • and you get to use your computer monitor to judge the results, instead of a 3 inch LCD.