Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:04 AM   #1

Default Looking at Nikon d5100/d7000

I am looking at the possibility of testing out a new format. I am looking at the purchaing a used d5100 or d7000. I was wondering if someone could point me to the best location to purchase Nikon equipment? I would buy new, but if I discover the fomat is not for me, it is impossible to recoup your losses.

I am currently a Pentax user and I have been considering the jump to the K-5, but thought maybe I should test out the competition in addition to purchasing the K-5 and then figure out what I like th best before I commit to long term to a format. I am actually going to probably buy a Sony, Canon and Nikon to test before I go all in with the K-5...so if you know reputable sites to buy these items used at reasonable rates that would be great. I have leaned away from eBay since their fees have continued to go up. I typically buy all of my equipment on the pentaxforums, and was just wondering if there was something like this out there with a really active community and marketplace for the other formats.

Any information is helpful.

-mackloon
mackloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:16 AM   #2

You can always rent. That's a lot cheaper than buying, even used.

Take a look at LensRentals.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:24 AM   #3

Thanks for the option...I like to buy used...Normally I buy sets when people are offloading their LBA loads or they are switching formats. When I buy a lot, I can usually defer the cost, so selling off the parts at a later date results in no cost and no gain. Basically...just a free rental. Plus, if I find a good copy I get to keep it.

Does Nikon have an active marketplance like the pentaxforums.com would have anywhere?
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:12 PM   #4

There's Nikonians, but it's a subscription service.

KEH sells al the brands you're looking at.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 1:17 PM   #5

Thanks TCav.

How would you rate the D7000, if you have had time to take it for a spin, or own one. Currently my Pentax K-r fairs very well for my needs, but the K-5 low light performance and the weather resistance make it appealing.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 8:01 PM   #6

Rent Rent Rent Rent Rent Rent Rent

Absent that, make a pest of yourself at multiple Best Buys playing with Nikons, Canons. and Sonys. Unfortunately, they don't carry Pentax.

Lets see. the Pentax K-r, Pentax K-5 and the Nikon D7000 were all introduced Sept 2010 and the D5100 was released April 2011. First, it sounds like having buyer's remorse over the K-r. All the more reason to Rent Rent Rent Rent for the personal contact time. I cant emphasis that enough. If it doesn't fit you, you won't like it and won't use it. Personally, I use a D90 and was considering a D7000 for the better video, however, the D90 fits me like a glove but they moved and made larger the LV control on the D7000 right where my thumb falls and it impacts my grip so I will wait and see what the D400? looks like, which to me would be a better upgrade. (Plus, just dicovered that the video issue I was with aperature (gain) jumping all over even when "A" mode was resolved with a setting adjustment of the AE-L/AF-L function from the default).

You want to buy used to save money. With the recently intoduced current models, how much do you think you are going to save? Worse, remember, there is no warranty of used as manufacturer's warranty is typically for the original owner only - so factor that into the "savings." Looking at KEH, used body only no D5100 but a boatload of D5000, but the D5100 is far superior correcting some D5000 shortcomings. The D7000 was 1079 used where retails for 1199. Likewise, the K-5 was 1299 and retails for 1449 (B&H for the new prices). You could find a boatlad of K-7 which the K-5 replaced in the $700 range, like my D90 vs the D7000. Previous generation is where you make a savings, but even then it is slim as my D90 body is still sold new in the $800 range.

Finally, what additional lens do you have for the Pentax that won't work on other cameras. If that is not a factor, based on price and assuming it feels good would strongly consider the D7000 with 18-105 kit plus the 70-300 which Nikon has marked down $200 with camera purchase which would total about the price of the K-5 with the kit lens. Both the K-5 and D7000 have excellent low light performance and weather resistance with the D7000's magnesium body shell like the D300s which was an upgrade over the D90's plastic body shell. Now if it only felt comfortable in my had.

EDIT NOTE: For used, may also want to look at the Nikon or Canon stores on their respective sites for "re-furbished". I believe those do come with a warranty, but would have to check to confirm.

Last edited by tizeye; Jun 26, 2011 at 8:30 PM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote