Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 16, 2011, 9:59 AM   #1

Default Nikon D5100

Hello..I just purchased a D5100 Nikpn with a 18-200mm lens..What I am trying to learn is if I can buy a lens that can bring distant subjects like the animals at the zoo even closer without spending an arm and a leg..Are tele converters any good..and if so what would anyone suggest..I do not want a bayonett lens like I have seen just something to bring the subjects even closer than with the 18-200mm..Thanks so much

Have not been here in quite sum time..Personal problems have hindeed me but its great to be back
nitti48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:45 PM   #2

Adding a teleconverter to that lens would not be very good. You would have to have some very bright lighting to pull off some decent shots. Teleconverters are good for lenses that 2.8 or less. I would look at either the Nikon or Tamron 70-300mm lenses. I have the Tamron 70-300mm LD Di 1:2 macro and the 70-300mm VC. The first one can be had for under $200 while the latter is twice as much.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 4:29 PM   #3

Are there any lens in the 400mm range that do not cost an arm and leg that will fit the d5100??
Old Jul 16, 2011, 5:12 PM   #4

Sigma has two offerings that will auto-focus on the D5100. Not cheap but more affordable than other offerings!

Sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG APO OS HSM http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/120-4...o-os-hsm-sigma

Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/150-5...g-os-hsm-sigma
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 7:22 PM   #5

Hi Bob...Seems like a good fit for the d5100..Would you agree that this lens would be a good fit for taking closeup pics of animals at the zoo or make for nice Landscape(Niagara Falls) pics...Thanks for your help
Old Jul 16, 2011, 8:33 PM   #6

I have the Sigma 150-500mm and it has great reach and the stabilization allows for hand holding in good light. The only drawback is that it weighs almost 2kg which means you get an upper body workout shooting with it. Someone once commented that it looks like a tank killer!
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:16 AM   #7

Yes that is sum hefty wait..The 120-400 should be less weight..Do you think for what I want it for it is a good lens..Mostly shots of animals..landscapes..etc..Seems that the AF and the OS are good features and am sure the teleconverters are cheaper but take less than the quality of this Sigma 120-400??
Old Jul 17, 2011, 4:44 PM   #8

You never have enough telephoto millimeters but 400mm or 500mm is a good start. Zoo photos are tricky as I have often found the cage bars or mesh get in the way or the glass is dirty or scratched.

All things considered the size of the animal will determine the useful range of the lens. The moose can be further away and still fill the frame compared to the chipmunk. You may even find that at the short end you're too close to frame the shot properly.

As for landscape shots, the 500mm wouldn't be my first choice unless I was trying to isolate specific elements of the scene. Even then there are practical range limits because the air conditions, such as smog, mist or thermal air currents over heated terrain, degrade image quality.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 5:09 PM   #9

Personally I think Teleconverters were a great way to save money back in the film days if you only needed the extra focal length once in a while. Today with digital, I would say its better to crop and save for a good lens
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:15 PM   #10

OK Bob what to do??The 120-400 is a hefty price..and I got a 18-200 tele..Any other suggestions? what about a 300 range..I want to make the right decision..Any input from you or anynody would be very helpful...You guys are great for the info