Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig View Post
Hello Everyone:

Thanks for all the feedback. After reading everything here I decidede to send the D90 back. It was all the comments that were made here that hepled me make the decision.

So based on what was said and what I understand your suggestions to be I called this morning and ordered the D7000. Very excited and can't wait for it too arrive.
I presume our influence took the form, "Why should I listen to these fools?"

Congratulations. From everythng I have seen, it is a great camera. You're out of excuses now, so get out there and start shooting...
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:07 AM   #12
Dig

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
I presume our influence took the form, "Why should I listen to these fools?"

Congratulations. From everythng I have seen, it is a great camera. You're out of excuses now, so get out there and start shooting...
No Way!! I have been part of this forum since 2003 and have not really posted very much over the years so I was just having some fun. I do appreciate everyone's opinion.

I feel that the forums have slowed quite a bit over the last year or so.

Anyway I did receive my D7000 and so far it looks pretty good. The only thing I just can't understand is why they did not put a articulating LCD on the back.

I have a difficult time understanding how companies of this magnitude make decisions. Articulating LCDs have been around for years and yet with a camera of this quality someone said, "nah, they don't need no stinking articulating LCD!".

But then on the D5100 that was released in April 2011 has an articulating LCD. So Nikon figured out how to make one from Sept 2010 to April 2011!!! Did they hire someone away from Canon's articulating LCD department?

Well enough on this. I hope to have some time to play with the new toy over the next few weeks and decide if I am going to hang on to it.

Thanks for a place to rant ( I try to do it at home but everyone just walks away from me )
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 4:02 PM   #13

I don't like the idea of an articulating LCD monitor. You can't use a modern dSLR without the monitor, and making it even more fragile just doesn't make sense to me. When you look at how articulating LCD monitors are built into camcorders, and compare that to how they're slapped onto dSLRs, the vulnerability of an articulating monitor on a dSLR is asinine.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I don't like the idea of an articulating LCD monitor. You can't use a modern dSLR without the monitor, and making it even more fragile just doesn't make sense to me. When you look at how articulating LCD monitors are built into camcorders, and compare that to how they're slapped onto dSLRs, the vulnerability of an articulating monitor on a dSLR is asinine.
Agree...!

An articulating screen has no place on a high(er) end DSLR... Ok for an entry
level DSLR made for point-and-shooters who are moving up but when you start
moving into the high end you need to get rid of the knickers and start wearing
big-boy pants...

It'd be like putting a "Cup-Holder" in an F-1 racer...!

D7k with old/new glass and a few other things...

Last edited by Wizzard0003; Aug 9, 2011 at 8:59 PM.
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:35 AM   #15

Well, here's my "personal" 2 cents worth.

I agree with JimC's comment that its up to the person if they will get more from a camera or lens upgrade. (If I'm reading it right.)

I split my budget this time around. Saved money picking up the D5100 instead of the D7000 and putting that saved money towards some new lenses. So hopefully I'm getting a little bit of both. <grin>

As for the articulating screen, it wasn't on my "want / must have" list when I was shopping. But after picking up the D5100, and having it for just a couple of weeks, its amazing how many times I've actually used it so I'm not shooting blind from above, or lying down on the ground to compose a shot. I didn't buy the D5100 for it, but now that I've got it, I think I'll actually use it quite a bit.

Take care, Glen

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Aug 16, 2011 at 6:34 AM. Reason: typo
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 9:10 AM   #16

Here's the thing on articulating screens: now that video has become an integrated part of things, articulating screens become important on higher end DSLRs too. I agree that for still photos they're not important. But for video they are. If they're poorly implemented that's what needs to be fixed. But if you say video is important than articulating screens become important too.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
But if you say video is important than articulating screens become important too.
Good point. Past couple of years I haven't been doing video that much. My P&S cameras were lowres, and I didn't feel like pulling out my camcorder anymore. But my D5100 has video built-in and again, although I didn't but it for the video, I've actually found myself using video. And the articulating screen is like what you would get on a camcorder. It gives you more peripheral view to see more of the action and start moving and panning around to capture it and also . . . see things so you don't end up tripping over them. <grin>

Take care, Glen
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:34 AM   #18

You are all right but I don't consider D3k/D5k a "Higer" end DSLR... Frankly,
I don't even feel video is apropriate on a "Higher" end DSLR... People buy
"Higher" end DSLR's for serious "Still Image" work... If I wanted to do video
I'd buy a camcorder or, possibly, a lower end DSLR...

I DO want a "Cup Holder" in my SUV but I DON'T want one in my F1 Racer...!

D7k with old/new glass and a few other things...

Last edited by Wizzard0003; Aug 16, 2011 at 6:43 AM.
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard0003 View Post
I don't even feel video is apropriate on a "Higher" end DSLR... People buy "Higher" end DSLR's for serious "Still Image" work... If I wanted to do video I'd buy a camcorder or, possibly, a lower end DSLR...
Yeah. But then you come across something like this . . .

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/...nale_of_house/

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1004/10...on5dIhouse.asp

Where an episode of a prime time show is shot with a video capable dSLR.

Sure, Canon probably made this happen some how, but regardless, I think its pretty cool.

Does it replace what has come before it? Probably not. But it's one more "tool" that is available to artists.

And you hear about the war zone photographers that do video with their video capable dSLRs. They get 2 Canon 5D mark II cameras (or something) and then their back-up camera is their video camera. It sounds like a light set-up while dodging bullets.

Take care, Glen

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Aug 16, 2011 at 7:12 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard0003 View Post
You are all right but I don't consider D3k/D5k a "Higer" end DSLR... Frankly,
I don't even feel video is apropriate on a "Higher" end DSLR... People buy
"Higher" end DSLR's for serious "Still Image" work... If I wanted to do video
I'd buy a camcorder or, possibly, a lower end DSLR...

I DO want a "Cup Holder" in my SUV but I DON'T want one in my F1 Racer...!
But the real world professional users feel a bit differently than you. Real world professionals use video capability on professional DSLRs because it gives them creative choices not available on a camcorder. The only thing holding it back from even more professional use is the focus ability. Photojournalists use the video capability because it's one unit instead of two. Creative and corporate (including the corporation I work for) pro photogs use it for the creative depth of field it offers. The professional world has already embraced the possibilities video in DSLR offers. Now the focus capability just needs to catch up.

The cup holder analogy isn't the same - a cup holder is a nice to have. Video capability is an important tool to many professionals. And you're mistaken if you think there aren't many professionals tasked with doing BOTH still and video work. Pandora's box is open. Video quality is there - and with external mic audio is as well. Now we just need a few more generations to work the kinks out. But pros already use it because it really does provide benefits over camcorder.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote